Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times

Advertisements

And now they are coming after you're late model 1990's Subaru.

Late 1990's model Subarus targeted by Anchorage car thieves

Like how the barista ran out the back door as the armed robber jumped through the drive-in window. Crazy times in Anchorage.

Coffee stand robbery: dramatic video

Even your old motor home isn't safe.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2018...om-a-campsite/

"Be on the lookout for a rogue motorhome. Alaska State Troopers say someone someone swiped a 1978 Jamboree from a camp spot on the Kenai Peninsula this week.

The white-and-brown motorhome vanished between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. Thursday, while the owner was making a trip to Anchorage, said troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters. The owner was camping at a well-used gravel pit at milepost 49 of the Seward Highway, in the Summit Lakes area.

The motorhome has black spray paint around the headlights and a "wood stove pipe sticking out of the roof," troopers said.

In Anchorage, police recently warned car thieves were pouncing on 1990s-era Subarus, a hugely popular vehicle in Alaska. How often do motorhomes — also ubiquitous in the tourist-friendly state — get stolen? Peters, the troopers spokeswoman, couldn't say right away. But she said older vehicles tend to be more vulnerable.

"Why take a beat-up Subaru when you can take an old-school motorhome, I guess?" Peters said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 10:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I'm certainly disappointed to hear of these problems in Anchorage. I lived in this fine city in the mid-90's and enjoyed my time there. Back then, it seemed to be thriving. My employment took me back to the lower 48, but I will always treasure my time in Anchorage.

My best guess is that Alaska will continue to go through some growing pains as it is still a very young State. I wouldn't count it out quite yet, however. There are so many tremendous resources available. It just takes some leadership to turn it around, and I believe the ebb and flow will turn it around at some point.

I agree with others, the PFD is not a positive at the end of the day. A couple of grand every year will not spring the economy back to life. Taxes? Well, that is another story...low taxes are a positive generally, but has Alaska lost its way with any sort of governmental support? Just askin'? Perhaps a moderate state income tax is what is needed, but I won't go full bore on that unless the populace votes for such.

So much potential, so little optimism at this point. A new breed of leadership is needed. Who will step up? Anyone, anyone?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
And now they are coming after you're late model 1990's Subaru."
That sucks. We've got one of those great cars.

In Juneau, some little kid had their award winning bicycle in the 4th of July parade stolen right off the streets shortly after the parade was over.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Is it a problem over all of Anchorage, or mainly the downtown / more urban areas?

Old 07-10-2018, 12:28 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Is it a problem over all of Anchorage, or mainly the downtown / more urban areas?
All over Anchorage. From the Hillside to Potter Marsh out to Eagle River and all points in between. They've stolen little kids bikes and moose antlers outta people yards. Gas cans, snow tires and lawn ornaments. You name it, it's been stolen.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
And don't forget the mail from the mailboxes.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:08 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
And don't forget the mail from the mailboxes.
Oh, does Anchorage have that problem, too?

Mail theft in the areas outside Fairbanks is off the rails, so I get anything remotely important delivered to me at work. :/

Old 07-10-2018, 02:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Porch pirates are everywhere it seems.

So it looks like those stealing cars in Anchorage are just doing so to joy ride around in them, sleep in them, and otherwise trash them.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:28 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Porch pirates are everywhere it seems.

So it looks like those stealing cars in Anchorage are just doing so to joy ride around in them, sleep in them, and otherwise trash them.
This winter someone broke into one of our fleet vehicles at work just to drink vodka, smoke weed, and have sex in it. It was pretty gross. They didn't even try to take it.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Oh, does Anchorage have that problem, too?

Mail theft in the areas outside Fairbanks is off the rails, so I get anything remotely important delivered to me at work. :/
I have a lockable mailbox now! And some of the neighbors do too.
https://www.amazon.com/Mail-Boss-750...ckable+mailbox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage