Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,634,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I am not saying full blown communism is the answer but your post is nonsense. How did Norway do it with Statoil ..... let me guess, they got lucky
Do you expect the Alaska state government to run an oil company efficiently and effectively, or more like Venezuela / Brazil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 08:49 AM

10,580 posts, read 7,797,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Do you expect the Alaska state government to run an oil company efficiently and effectively, or more like Venezuela / Brazil?
Norway doesn't run their oil company, they just own a majority share, tax the heck out of it and never gave up their national income tax.

It's too late for this now, but yeah I would expect our current state government to do a terrible job of managing this industry if they had the reins.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:12 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,603,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Norway doesn't run their oil company, they just own a majority share, tax the heck out of it and never gave up their national income tax.

It's too late for this now, but yeah I would expect our current state government to do a terrible job of managing this industry if they had the reins.

Norway has a much smaller land mass and a much larger population. An income tax in Alaska will raise a pittance and would come nowhere near to providing the income needed to sustain our current government. What we really need is to cut even more fat. And there's plenty to cut.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:01 PM

10,580 posts, read 7,797,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Norway has a much smaller land mass and a much larger population. An income tax in Alaska will raise a pittance and would come nowhere near to providing the income needed to sustain our current government. What we really need is to cut even more fat. And there's plenty to cut.
The income tax most recently passed by the House would have raised $687 million, which is a significant percentage of budget deficit.

"Cutting fat" is easy to say, but not many care to go into detail on this.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:22 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,125,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Why is everything Venezuela with republicans (as if Scandinavia and Statoil dont exist)? Why do republicans like to dwell on Venezuela, yes we need to learn from it and move on and hopefully we would model our oil company off of Statoil. Because one incompetent country ran their economy into the ground that means every single people on earth are inept and need big brother corporation to tell them who is going to succeed and fail and what their communities will look like (since they control who has a GOOD job or not).

Old 07-17-2018, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

At least we would succeed or fail as a state and not let private companies put mass numbers of people out on the streets so they can pad profits. Norway is smart.

At least that way we all rise or fall not companies picking winners and loosers.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We should just cut all taxes on oil companies, no income tax, no taxes at all and cut everything. But of course we need MANY prisons for all the loosers of capitalism tossed out by companies. Which will be many.

Maybe we can VERY slowly start converting the prisons to gulags, because they are dirty criminals after all. Some genuinly are but once you start purposely tanking the economy and mass numbers of people are broke theres going to be serious issues.

If oil companies could have robots pumping the oil and pay no taxes thats exactly what they would do.

I understand you are retired or pseudo retired or whatever but I dont think you want to live in a state that you suggest.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:59 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,708,933 times
Quote:
We should just cut all taxes on oil companies, no income tax, no taxes at all and cut everything. But of course we need MANY prisons for all the loosers of capitalism tossed out by companies. Which will be many.

Maybe we can VERY slowly start converting the prisons to gulags, because they are dirty criminals after all. Some genuinly are but once you start purposely tanking the economy and mass numbers of people are broke theres going to be serious issues.

If oil companies could have robots pumping the oil and pay no taxes thats exactly what they would do.

I understand you are retired or pseudo retired or whatever but I dont think you want to live in a state that you suggest.

And what does any of this have to do with Suzy getting her Chevy pickup stolen out of her driveway? Happened twice in 3 weeks. The second time they even cut off the "CLUB" steering wheel lock she had on it.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
And what does any of this have to do with Suzy getting her Chevy pickup stolen out of her driveway? Happened twice in 3 weeks. The second time they even cut off the "CLUB" steering wheel lock she had on it.
When an economy is tanked and everyone is broke and taxes are slashed how do you think they are going to subsist? Sure you can bring back harsh punishments but then you have to pay heavy taxes for a massive prison infrastructure. Typically when things get to that point thats when death camps start very slowly creeping into public discourse, because if you just kill everyone there is no need for services.

Things can go south real quick when an economy is tanked, thats why its called economic WARFARE. Just because no one is discharging a fire arm does not mean that oil companies and the big business sector are not at war with the people of Alaska. Mass lay offs are forms of warfare, they are just ones that are one sided because only one side has a "gun", but once things get bad enough people start retaliating.

I dont think ex oil workers are stealing cars and vandilizing things but mass lay offs have a tertiary effect in that way less money is circulating in the state so people who were living on the edge are now on the streets and are harrased by police and other citizens. They really have nothing to loose.

Plus we have nation wide globalism that is causing wages to stagnate nation wide. the elites are slowly removing the social relief valves. I am guessing the end game is to cause riots so that military force can be enacted on the american people, of course they will call it "national guard" or "federal police force" but make no mistake these people will be using full blown military equipment.

Think bigger picture, this is not a scenario of some dead beat who has a plethora of opprotunity who chose to just do some meth. This is a picture of VERY skinny opprotunity and people checking out becasue we are in such a hopeless situation for many people. There are 2 groups of people in this situation for sure, some of these people would in fact be dead beats no matter how thriving things were, but these people are in the minority and could just be put in prison in a healthy economy with a healthy tax base to pay for said prison.

We get what we vote for and pay for, if people want to keep voting GOP expect to see things tank even further. Oil companeis dont care about you, if they could have slaves they would, cutting taxes just increases bonus size to a small cadre of C class execs, thats it. Not that this is a national discussion but Trumps tax cuts effect oil comapanies in Alaska and he opened part of ANWAR. I dont see a mad hiring spree, I see the same skinny job postings and miserly spending by oil. I think Trump sealed his fate in the next election with his tax cuts for the rich, the rich just want to get richer and richer, they dont want to create jobs unless its absolutly nessecary and even then they want to pay as little as possible.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,603,169 times
Quote:
We get what we vote for and pay for, if people want to keep voting GOP expect to see things tank even further. Oil companeis dont care about you, if they could have slaves they would, cutting taxes just increases bonus size to a small cadre of C class execs, thats it. Not that this is a national discussion but Trumps tax cuts effect oil comapanies in Alaska and he opened part of ANWAR. I dont see a mad hiring spree, I see the same skinny job postings and miserly spending by oil. I think Trump sealed his fate in the next election with his tax cuts for the rich, the rich just want to get richer and richer, they dont want to create jobs unless its absolutly nessecary and even then they want to pay as little as possible.

Do you really think things would be better if the Democrats were in charge? Look at any state with huge fiscal problems and it's run by Democrats. Same with any large city. I'm not a Republican, but I do know things would be much worse if the tax tax tax spend spend spend Democrats were in power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage