Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:10 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,647,210 times

Advertisements

My personal opinion is to get studded tires - they help to get a grip on ice much better than un-studded, and if you are not used to ice, it can give you a little boost.
Just make sure that you understand the phenomena of "black ice" - especially when there is no obvious snow cover on the road. You'll think the road is bare, but it will get you.

Something to have in your car that might not seem obvious but that at times is a "lifesaver" is to have a few blankets in your car.

And, especially in Anchorage - when the snow falls, don't trust the traffic lights! Always count to 3 before going on green, and make sure no one is "blowing through" a red light because "they can't stop". (I'm still hurting on a daily basis because of a teenager who ran several lights Midtown a few winters ago.)

And be prepared - on the first day of snow, everyone and their mother seems to forget how to drive. If you can - stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:46 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,675,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
My personal opinion is to get studded tires - they help to get a grip on ice much better than un-studded, and if you are not used to ice, it can give you a little boost.
Just make sure that you understand the phenomena of "black ice" - especially when there is no obvious snow cover on the road. You'll think the road is bare, but it will get you.

Something to have in your car that might not seem obvious but that at times is a "lifesaver" is to have a few blankets in your car.

And, especially in Anchorage - when the snow falls, don't trust the traffic lights! Always count to 3 before going on green, and make sure no one is "blowing through" a red light because "they can't stop". (I'm still hurting on a daily basis because of a teenager who ran several lights Midtown a few winters ago.)

And be prepared - on the first day of snow, everyone and their mother seems to forget how to drive. If you can - stay home.
Some good advice there - especially the last part. The first day of snow is utterly ridiculous on the roads. I usually leave extra early and plan to stay late at work. It's like the long days of summer just wipes any memory of how to drive in the snow from a big portion of the population.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:53 AM

863 posts, read 2,079,832 times
Other folks have tackled the technical stuff, so I'll just give two suggestions:

- Though it's good to prepare the car and home before winter hits, don't sweat the clothing too much. As you get cold, buy more.

- Winters are long and psychologically draining. If you have family to stay with in California, take every opportunity to visit in January and February. There are often good flight deals down the west coast. Also, find ways to stay active. A gym membership is good, but bundling up for outdoor activities is better (once you have enough clothes of course). Anchorage has a very active winter outdoor community and this helps keep trails packed down. You'll see everyone from skiers, snowshoers, fat bikers, to walkers and hikers out on many of the trails behind Anchorage. The simplest piece of gear to get is these: https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/ They sell them at REI and probably other places.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,111,244 times
I think you have received some very good advice from the posters, so the only thing I would add is get a remote starter installed on your vehicle.

When winter comes, you will be so glad you have it.

P.S. - Personally, I favor all weather tires because you wear them year round, they provide the traction you'll need in winter without the excessive road noise caused when you run with studs, and you don't have to bother with the time and expense of changing your tires twice a year.i

Old 09-25-2018, 06:04 AM

23,338 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Other folks have tackled the technical stuff, so I'll just give two suggestions:

You'll see everyone from skiers, snowshoers, fat bikers, to walkers and hikers out on many of the trails behind Anchorage. The simplest piece of gear to get is these: https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/ They sell them at REI and probably other places.
Personally I find these overkill and a hassle to shuck off at every single entrance door you need to go through. If your shoes are not something you can slip on or off easily, you will spend moments multiple times a day getting rid of the shoe-spike assembly at every store, workplace, home every time you go in or out. Sure, these have wonderful traction for unpacked unplowed areas but much of the time when walking in developed areas you can get away with something like this:

https://www.stabilgear.com/shop/outd...bilicers-lite/

I have both but find I reach for the Stabilicers most often as they are a lot simpler and easier to get on and off most of my shoes. For a brief errand you can get away with them on many types of flooring too as long as you are careful on hard slick surfaces. As with most things, YMMV.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:05 PM

24,409 posts, read 27,001,341 times
When I lived in Alaska, I had a BMW (all wheel drive). I never had to get studded tires. The only issue I had was the battery going dead because I had to park it outdoors, so I got a battery charger thing for extra cold nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: