Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:25 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,415,919 times

Advertisements

you can ship long guns but hand guns are different matter, hand guns "legally" need to be shipped from an FFL to an FFL. We use to have a gun shop and would ship hand guns for our friends at no charge, so it's not for the money. They can be confiscated if shipped improperly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,537,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
you can ship long guns but hand guns are different matter, hand guns "legally" need to be shipped from an FFL to an FFL. We use to have a gun shop and would ship hand guns for our friends at no charge, so it's not for the money. They can be confiscated if shipped improperly.
Not quite. Only FFL's (dealers at that) can use the USPS for handguns, but anyone can still ship a handgun to themselves with a different service (fedex, ups, etc., if you can convince them of following their own policies which allow it, a lot of the workers don't know their own policies). If they're legally antiques (pre-1899 or non-cartridge firearms with some exceptions), it's all a moot point and you can just send them in the mail, to yourself or anyone.

Anyone can send a long gun through the USPS to themselves.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,451 times
Thank you.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,454,939 times
Default Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Manager View Post
Thank you.
Also, remember you will need a passport to enter Canada so be sure to apply for it in plenty of time. If you are bringing a dog or cat with you, Canada requres the Certification of Rabies Vaccination. They won't accept the tag, but want the paper from the Vet.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Also, remember you will need a passport to enter Canada so be sure to apply for it in plenty of time. If you are bringing a dog or cat with you, Canada requres the Certification of Rabies Vaccination. They won't accept the tag, but want the paper from the Vet.
Not yet, not until next year. And it's a U.S. thing, the Canadians aren't going to require passports. They'll be needed to re-enter the U.S. in 2009.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:46 AM

Default Confusing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Not yet, not until next year. And it's a U.S. thing, the Canadians aren't going to require passports. They'll be needed to re-enter the U.S. in 2009.
You know that is what I had read originally on the U.S. Postal service website; but then when I checked further, was told you need the passport now. So who knows. We will be traveling through Canada and have applied anyway (just in case lol). They keep changing the rules.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
You know that is what I had read originally on the U.S. Postal service website; but then when I checked further, was told you need the passport now. So who knows. We will be traveling through Canada and have applied anyway (just in case lol). They keep changing the rules.
Yeah, it was actually supposed to be done already (already has if you're flying to Canada) but for people who drive...it's been put off a bit, it's been a disaster implementing it already with backlogs. Makes no difference in actuality for me, I'll need to get one for my trip up next year, sadly (which irritates me, spending that money for a piece of paper for one use, when it hasn't been needed for years to go to Canada).

The government is good at making something simple more complicated and confusing than needed.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 AM

Default Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah, it was actually supposed to be done already (already has if you're flying to Canada) but for people who drive...it's been put off a bit, it's been a disaster implementing it already with backlogs. Makes no difference in actuality for me, I'll need to get one for my trip up next year, sadly (which irritates me, spending that money for a piece of paper for one use, when it hasn't been needed for years to go to Canada).

The government is good at making something simple more complicated and confusing than needed.
Yes, it cost my husband and myself $100 each to apply for the passports. I noted you are in Vermont. I love the New England states. Do you mind if I ask why you are leaving Vermont? I keep thinking of relocating to Maine, but many worries there due to the job situation there and being what they consider an "outsider." Have always wanted to live in either Maine or Vermont.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 AM

17 posts, read 100,909 times
Quote:
Little off track from the original post, but thought the people talking about passports might like this link:

U.S. PASSPORT CARD

As long as you're not flying anywhere, just get yourself a passport card--good for crossing borders on land. And cheaper.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, it cost my husband and myself $100 each to apply for the passports. I noted you are in Vermont. I love the New England states. Do you mind if I ask why you are leaving Vermont? I keep thinking of relocating to Maine, but many worries there due to the job situation there and being what they consider an "outsider." Have always wanted to live in either Maine or Vermont.
Many reasons. High property prices, extremely high taxes (with few jobs to pay for them), lots of regulation of anything you do, increasing numbers of outsiders moving in from states like NY, NJ, MA, etc., bringing with them the attitudes and politics of those states. I want to be as self-sufficient as possible (supply my own food, heat, etc.), and not reliant on jobs, Vermont is not a good place for that because of the high taxes, and Alaska has a less dense population and more wilderness than VT...and I simply fell in love with Alaska, it has a way of doing that I guess, there's a certain beauty to Alaska that I don't think you can find away from arctic/sub-arctic areas...oh, and I'm a cold weather person. VT's summers are too hot and humid and long for me, give me just three months of sort of warm weather, like in Alaska, to grow a garden and I'll be happy.

I think Maine could be harder than VT for an outsider, but there are exceptions. Not coming from California or the other states I mentioned could be helpful though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage