Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 05:43 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,144,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
Anchorage has some of the lowest property taxes in the US despite a fairly high per-capita budget. By comparison, Buffalo NY is about the same size as Anchorage, spends about the same per capita and has a 40% higher property tax rate.
Yes but the OP isn't interested in perspective. Alaskans are charity cases supported by the lower 48, they should enjoy it and drop the entitled whining.

BTW, when people complain about property taxes, it means they have bought what they cannot afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 02:08 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yes but the OP isn't interested in perspective. Alaskans are charity cases supported by the lower 48, they should enjoy it and drop the entitled whining.

BTW, when people complain about property taxes, it means they have bought what they cannot afford.
Such a ridiculous statement coming from a Washington, DC resident Don't you already know that Washington DC is already the center of federal government? In fact, there is a pretty good chance that In Washington DC, most residents probably are government workers to one degree or another.

You have no idea about what the OP is talking about, since Alaska has very high property taxes already. The poster you referred to was completely wrong when saying that Alaska has low property tax. That's a fallacy. Also most of Alaska is owned by the Federal government. While AK is a very large landmass, it is not very populated, and the military presence is quite high. In other words, the Federal government is serving its own interest, which are for strategic reasons, and to have a hold or the vast natural resources Alaska has to offer.

Besides that, since you are complaining about Federal taxes supporting Alaska, why not AK property owners complaining about city property taxes, since these have nothing to do with the federal taxes you give to Alaska?

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-15-2021 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-15-2021, 06:03 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,874,158 times
This trope again? The net value of taxes collected vs. federal dollars paid out doesn't work when it comes to Alaska. Alaska has the second smallest population in the by far largest state. The land wasn't really acquired by the feds to put settlers on, it was acquired for strategic value. The federal money that's coming here in excess of what's going elsewhere is largely for federal programs that would be in full swing here regardless of whether we (ordinary residents) were here or not. We do benefit from many of the programs, sure, but we're not the intended recipients. It's military bases, missile defense, border security, national parks, Bureau of Land Management, etc. Those aren't per capita costs so it doesn't make sense to divide them up per capita for the metric.

As a person I'm not consuming any more federal funds here than I would be if I lived elsewhere.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
This trope again? The net value of taxes collected vs. federal dollars paid out doesn't work when it comes to Alaska. Alaska has the second smallest population in the by far largest state. The land wasn't really acquired by the feds to put settlers on, it was acquired for strategic value. The federal money that's coming here in excess of what's going elsewhere is largely for federal programs that would be in full swing here regardless of whether we (ordinary residents) were here or not. We do benefit from many of the programs, sure, but we're not the intended recipients. It's military bases, missile defense, border security, national parks, Bureau of Land Management, etc. Those aren't per capita costs so it doesn't make sense to divide them up per capita for the metric.

As a person I'm not consuming any more federal funds here than I would be if I lived elsewhere.
Very good points. A lot of people don't understand why Alaska is so important to the rest of the US, and if Alaska residents would receive all of the Federal Government money, we would be quite wealthy since our state population is so small.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:45 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,874,158 times
Yup.

I mean, don't get me wrong, plenty of Alaskans want something for nothing from the government, but it's the state government they expected Loaves and Fishes from, not the feds, lol

Old 01-16-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Yup.

I mean, don't get me wrong, plenty of Alaskans want something for nothing from the government, but it's the state government they expected Loaves and Fishes from, not the feds, lol

Old 01-16-2021, 07:14 PM

10,578 posts, read 7,793,544 times
A lot of federal dollars thrown at Alaska is defense spending. Obviously some of that money directly or indirectly benefits many residents.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
A lot of federal dollars thrown at Alaska is defense spending. Obviously some of that money directly or indirectly benefits many residents.
That is true, but it benefits residents ad non residents alike.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:10 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,672,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So, when are you moving to Anchorage?
Sorry I'm late ... couldn't find the time (or effort) to read this stuff. When will I move to Anchorage? When hell freezes over. Oh... that's right ... Alaska is hell ... and it's already frozen ... I guess I missed my chance . In any case, I really don't need an annual pittance of cash that badly! Thanks for asking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage