Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:35 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,802 times

Advertisements

Well they did it! https://mustreadalaska.com/anchorage...en-lion-hotel/
Next they will probably want an overpass over the New Seward highway to keep the drunks from getting killed. I'm really tired of the home owners having to fund all the dreams the assembly comes up with!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 09:11 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Next they will probably want an overpass over the New Seward highway to keep the drunks from getting killed. I'm really tired of the home owners having to fund all the dreams the assembly comes up with!!!
I feel your pain By the way, take a look at the "state" benefits borough and city assembly members receive. Once they entrench themselves in there, they tax you day and night.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:45 AM

2,039 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:

So, what's your solution to the homeless problem in Anchorage? Because we sure got one. Throw them all in jail? That gets real expensive real quick.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:33 PM

What is yours? Keep giving them free food, clothes, health care and rooms? All that will do is increase their numbers! You want a welfare state, move to someplace else!

Old 12-17-2020, 04:37 PM

2,039 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:
What is yours? Keep giving them free food, clothes, health care and rooms? All that will do is increase their numbers! You want a welfare state, move to someplace else!

Oh, I have very definite ideas, but I don't think some of them would go over well with the touchy-feely crowd. For some homeless, yes, free food and lodging is the better solution. It rubs me wrong too, but it can be a much less expensive option. There does need to be more mental health and alcohol/drug rehap capacity in this state and especially Anchorage. That does cost money.

That said, there is a significant contingent of the homeless population that is able and should be continually harassed until they move on or buck up. Maybe round them up and drop them on Fire Island and let them figure out what to do next.

Also, I vote in every election, every one, and I ain't moving. Nope.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
It Seemed correct to me! Cant argue with the truth!
Well, putting individual political parties aside, it is true that those from both parties who lean "liberal" love taxes. Even in the Fairbanks borough we have "dog parks," ice arenas, and so on, primarily paid for by property owners. The way I see it, why should I take my dog to walk, pee, and poop in a dog park, instead of my yard?

Some of the people living in the streets may very well be homeless. In that case, they should be in Welfare other government programs, housing, etc., and out of the streets. How about moving out of "Los Anchorage" and into San Francisco? One PFD check should get you to a place that is warmer.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-17-2020 at 08:13 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 08:24 PM

Sullivan and Ben Boke arenas have been taken over by the city to house the homeless. They recently took Covid money and built a trail on the hillside! Thy keep raising the tax cap to fund all their "pie in the sky ideas" and we are tired of it! We need a sales tax but I'm afraid that would just encourage them to spend more and property taxes would still keep going up!

Old 12-17-2020, 08:26 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Quote:
We need a sales tax but I'm afraid that would just encourage them to spend more and property taxes would still keep going up!
New taxes == more taxes

Always.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Sullivan and Ben Boke arenas have been taken over by the city to house the homeless. They recently took Covid money and built a trail on the hillside! Thy keep raising the tax cap to fund all their "pie in the sky ideas" and we are tired of it! We need a sales tax but I'm afraid that would just encourage them to spend more and property taxes would still keep going up!
That's what liberal politicians do, because it is not their money they are spending. All you have to do is to look at the salaries and perks assembly members, majors, and other city and State officials receive. Those wages come from the private sector (all private businesses, all property owners, and all workers). By the way, even the public sector workers-who by the way receive wages from taxes imposed on the private sector-pay property taxes, although this is like taking money from the left pocked and putting it on the right pocket. The private sector worker in return, pulls the money out of his (or her) pocket and gives it to the public sector worker.

All those trails, arenas, "dog" and other parks need maintenance crews. These crews need equipment, materials, supplies, offices and maintenance shops, and so on. Whenever the city or borough assemblies create new projects, from new schools to "wilderness trails," and the rest, property owners and the private sector pays for it. So these "leaders" spend all day and night, since the money is not theirs.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:51 AM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Actually sounds like a great plan. When can Southern California start shipping some of their homeless up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage