Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:13 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,974,623 times

Advertisements

I'm really amazed that pot isn't legal here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,167 times
I have Traveled all OVER the place, and offer this: Crime Indices (Indexes) pretty accurately reflect what you'll find in a particular town...I've never been surprised (pleasantly or otherwise) after reading and interpreting City-data's information. The above post sounds too true-to life to even have an illusion that all is well (or safe) in Anchorage and surrounding areas. Stats don;t lie, but MANY people, by blind luck or good fortune, never experience the 'Dark Side' of a particular place. Good for them, but woe to those of us who've been assured by the Lucky that a place is "Great" only to find ourselves wishing we were anywhere else. I REPEAT: Stats don't lie. Trust them, and use your God (or university) given Brain to interpret the 'Big Picture'. I've heard Anchorage is indeed a cesspool. and have lived, worked and hung out with a lot of Alaskans who agree based on firsthand experience. Good Luck to all....the journey IS the destination...may yours be long and safe. Chris

Old 07-12-2008, 06:22 PM

78 posts, read 243,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msn26 View Post
Could you please let me know where the valley is (so at least I can keep clear). Thanks again for all your inputs.
M

I'm still working on my Alaskan geography. Is Talkeetna, Trapper Creek, etc... in "The Valley"? I was looking at some real estate there online and the house+view looked like paradise.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,946,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
On the other hand, I would be in fear of my life hanging out in Fairview, Mountain View, or Muldoon after dark, or even during the day. All those are in Anchorage and feature daily shootings, muggings, drive-bys, car jackings, pimps, drug dealers, the list goes on and on. All the fine "east LA" types have to offer can be found in these areas.

So my question for all the single women living alone in Anchorage: Which areas do you consider or feel "safe" living in? The same goes for which areas of town you would not consider working in?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:53 PM

202 posts, read 821,657 times
Default don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMSFLA View Post
I'm still working on my Alaskan geography. Is Talkeetna, Trapper Creek, etc... in "The Valley"? I was looking at some real estate there online and the house+view looked like paradise.
I wouldn't call those places as in the valley, although I don't live in that area. Maybe the valley folks will comment. I thought the valley ended at Willow or thereabouts. I'd actually like to try living in Talkeetna some day. They seem to have a bit sunnier/warmer climate than Kenai.
I guess the further away from Anchorage the better from what these posters are saying. It's nice and quiet here in Kenai, but when I go to Anchorage I do see the changes, but really haven't felt unsafe at all running around.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,159,707 times
Why isn't this in the Anchorage thread?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMSFLA View Post
Yes. The Susitna Valley extends from Cantwell in the north, to Anchorage in the south. Essentially everything inside the arc of the Alaska Range and west of the Talkeetna Range is the Susitna Valley.

The Matanuska Valley extends from the Matanuska Glacier (about mile-marker 100 on the Glenn Hwy) in the east, to Anchorage in the west. Bordered by the Talkeetna Range on the north and the Chugach Range on the south.

The Palmer/Wasilla area is where both valley's meet, hence the name Matanuska-Susitna Valley.

So, technically, Talkeetna/Trapper Creek are in the Susitna Valley, not the Matanuska Valley. But everyone just says Mat-Su Valley, and we know what they mean.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
Quote:
When we say "the Valley" in the Upper Susitna, we're talking about Wasilla and Palmer.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-15-2008 at 05:56 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,660,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yes. The Susitna Valley extends from Cantwell in the north, to Anchorage in the south. Essentially everything inside the arc of the Alaska Range and west of the Talkeetna Range is the Susitna Valley.
Cantwell is actually in the Denali Borough, just north of the Mat-Su Borough, and is in the valley of Cantwell Creek less than 20 miles from where it meets the Nenana River, which flows north. It is west of the Susitna Valley, which of course flows south. Hence Cantwell is just over the divide and can be considered to technically be on the north side of the Alaska Range.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:36 AM

19 posts, read 73,630 times
As far as the bears go, make sure you get the spray made specifically for bears. Otherwise you'll just make the bear mad. I don't know if you can use that on people, but since you're legally allowed to kill a rapist, I don't think it matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage