Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM

37 posts, read 91,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well, don't freeze (but since you're not in the Interior, it won't be as cold as it would up North more).

Thanks.....plus the days are probably no shorter or longer than Northern Scotland.....trust me, I spent enough time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:49 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,385,823 times
I'd recommend living around the Southern part of Anchorage such as Rabbit Creek.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 PM

71 posts, read 169,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Foreign soldier posted to an American base in the U.S.?
Happens all the time. Actually, there are quite a few Canadians on Elmendorf as well. The Air Control squadron on base is NORAD which is joint US and Canadian. Just FYI.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I'd recommend living around the Southern part of Anchorage such as Rabbit Creek.
The only snag with that is it sounds like a bit of a commute to Elmendorf which is North of Anchorage. What's the traffic like anyway??

Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwachel View Post
Happens all the time. Actually, there are quite a few Canadians on Elmendorf as well. The Air Control squadron on base is NORAD which is joint US and Canadian. Just FYI.
And thinking about it, every Squadron or a unit I've been assigned to in the UK or deployed overseas has had A US or Canadian exchange pilot.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,490,599 times
Default strange but true

The areas around military bases are usually a bit more interesting and multi-ethnic than the average American city. For example, it's fairly normal to expect Thai restaurants near US Air Force bases, and Philippino food near Navy bases, and Korean restaurants near Army bases, because of the US militaries overseas presence in those countries. I expect the next trend will be Afghan and middle-eastern cuisine, though for obvious reasons there won't be nearly as many take-home brides from the muslim countries.

Inter-military exchange programs can lead to some pretty strange sightings near military bases though. You might be surprised to get good authentic German food in Roswell, NM or El Paso TX. Until you found out that the Luftwaffe has training bases for their Tornado fighter-bombers in the SW United States.

Compared to the skies over most of Europe, the western states are virtually uninhabited and far less restricted as to where and when you can fly. Alaska IS virtually uninhabited, and the military can routinely fly at speeds and times and altitudes that would have the phones ringing non-stop with furious complaints back in England or the Netherlands, for example.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:00 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,236,370 times
I was military, enlisted. I was the lab instructor for 3 PhD's. I had 3 classes a week (4 hours each), and spent the rest of the time designing the next quarter's lab work or surfing the net. Pre-WWW or AOL, most of the places I went on line were university ftp sites. It was my retirement tour.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 PM

119 posts, read 387,873 times
Welcome! I met many British exchange officers in 27 years of being a military spouse. They were all exceptional, I think only the best get chosen for these types of slots, so congratulations! You will feel welcomed here. Your best bets for places to live are downtown and midtown Anchorage. Also check out Eagle River. As other posters mentioned, avoid Spenard and Mountain View. You might also want to avoid Fairview and Muldoon as not the nicest areas, and South Anchorage, and anything past Eagle River due to traffic/commuting concerns.
If you get something off Boniface, you will have a straight shot into the main gate. Coming from the east (Eagle River/Glenn Hwy, closest is Muldoon gate, but that has limited hours M-F 6a-6pm I believe. You can also go through Fort Richardson.
There are also two gates closer to downtown with various hours. Elmendorf is fairly large base. It might be helpful to know which end you are working on to figure out best commute.
Also, there is at least one other Brit stationed there, PM me if you want to get in contact with him.
Again, welcome, we're here to help!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNana View Post
Welcome! I met many British exchange officers in 27 years of being a military spouse. They were all exceptional, I think only the best get chosen for these types of slots, so congratulations!
Thanks AKNana for your top tips and kind words. I have to say that timing is the crucial factor, right place right time - rather than having anything to do with being the best....but thanks anyway

I'll have to search your suggestions; isn't Eagle River a bit remote though...is there any social life there? As for having a straight shot at the gate I'd sacrifice commute time for being close to facilities. I'm quite keen on keeping fit so close to a gym would be great...any tips there? I must confess I do like to chill out over a beer now and then...yes a cold beer!!!! so it would good to find somewhere within stumbling distance. I guess the luxury I've got used to where I am now is being in a city centre where you can walk anywhere and you're spoilt for public transport if you wanted to go further afield and don't wish to drive. I don't think I'll have that choice in Anchorage?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:07 PM

119 posts, read 387,873 times
You should be able to use the excellent gyms at both Elmendorf and Fort Richardson, so you can go before or after work or at lunchtime at no charge. Of course, you can also join one of the many clubs such as Alaska club, there is one close to all the areas you are considering.
As far as the remoteness of Eagle River, the commute is about 15 minutes to EAFB. It is basically a bedroom community, but there are several bars and restaurants, shopping, banks, gym, post office, etc, within walking distance depending on where you live. Downtown Anchorage is walkable but midtown is not.
They only public transportation is the People Mover bus. It is not what you are used to. It is good for transportation from one general area to another- Eagle River to downtown, downtown to midtown, etc. but basically a car is a necessity. Some will tell you that the traffic is terrible, and there can be tie ups, but it is nothing compared to places like LA or DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: