Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,934 times

Advertisements

Some of these reviews of housing maybe from former tenants who have a disagreement with their landlords. Personally, I live in S. Anchorage. Not as bad neighborhood at all, and 6 months ago, I saw a beautiful 1 BR w/ fireplace and garage going for $900/month. I was looking for one of these for a guy we hired out of the lower 48, but he missed it. It had only one problem, less than 1/4 mile from the high school, and a lot of kids walking (noisily) 2 times a day past the front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 AM

37 posts, read 91,223 times
Right....With A Little Help From My Friends...I've narrowed my search down 2 locations: Bootlegger's Cove (And along O street) or South Addition. As far as I can make out these are the ideal compromise between proximity to Elmendorf AFB, safe area, social life and other shopping outlets etc. So...South Addition or Bootlegger's Cove........good choices?

Old 12-09-2008, 02:25 AM

Bootleggers Cove is a good neighborhood. A little pricey for my money, but definitely good for location as well.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 AM

119 posts, read 387,427 times
Yup, those sound good, but even in those areas there are some streets/blocks that are not as nice as others. I assume you've looked at google maps street view? When you get here and look around, you may see some other areas you really like as well, there is just no replacement for a feet on the ground assessment.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Bootleggers Cove is a good neighborhood. A little pricey for my money, but definitely good for location as well.
Bootleggers Cove is sounding the location of choice....I'm assuming 'O' Street is in this area?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNana View Post
Yup, those sound good, but even in those areas there are some streets/blocks that are not as nice as others. I assume you've looked at google maps street view? When you get here and look around, you may see some other areas you really like as well, there is just no replacement for a feet on the ground assessment.

Well, I'm over there over New Years.....I'll be checking out these areas clearly....assuming I can see anything in the dark

Now...all I need to do is find the best bar in town

Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 AM

Single guy? 20's to 30's. Chilkoot Charlies or Al's Alaskan Inn. Quieter bar, Eddies Sports Bar.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Single guy? 20's to 30's. Chilkoot Charlies or Al's Alaskan Inn. Quieter bar, Eddies Sports Bar.
Single guy....30s (still, just) Thanks for the top tips......guess if I want to get in anywhere on New Years Eve to show up early. Mind you, I'll be celebrating the arrival of 2009 at 3pm Anchorage time (midnight in London)...and 9 hours later too...why not

Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM

Chilkoots and Al's are basically singles bars. I went into Chilkoots once - had to be able to say that I'd been there. I felt so OLD! I knew half of the people there were wondering if I was just a dirty old man looking for a piece of fluff to hang on his arm. I don't think I was in there for more than an hour. My oldest son goes there about 2 times a year (23 last April) and tells me that it is always jammed to the rafters.

Eddie's is more my speed. 3 pool tables and decent bar food.

The Peanut Farm is another good sports bar, but for a younger crowd. They don't eyeball me like a pervert when I go to shoot pool with my son, and the food is not bad at all. About 20 flat screen TVs in the main bar area.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:52 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,336 times
Default don't forget

If you like good beer instead of the usual watery American factory swill out of the tap, don't forget to visit the Mooses Tooth. It's a pizza place that brews their own beer. It's always packed, the the food is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: