Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:00 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I will wave at you in the ditch as I drive by in my FWD. That is the same mentality that put them in the ditch in the first place. The ol' "I drive an AWD so I'm safe under any condition" is a myth.
Case in point, I drive a AWD SUV. A couple of days ago on the highway approaching a stoplight, I lightly tapped my brakes and started heading toward the ditch as I had the fortune of trying to stop on a patch of black ice. The AWD and ABS brakes didn't keep me from sliding. What saved me was I was going slower for the conditions and I had plenty of space between the car in front and myself, to release the brakes, steer to get get back under control and brake before hitting the car in front. The AWD and ABS brakes might have helped me get in control quicker, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
The AWD and ABS brakes didn't keep me from sliding.
That was my original point. "Four-wheel drive or AWD is the best for accelerating on snow and ice, rear-wheel drive is the worst for accelerating on snow and ice, and ALL vehicles are the same when it comes to stopping on snow and ice."

Once all four (or more) tires loose their traction with the road and you begin to slide, it does not matter what you are driving. The only thing that will save you now is 1) your ability to control the vehicle while sliding (e.g., turning into the spin, etc.); and 2) how fast you were driving in relationship to the obstacle in the direction of your slide.

As you said, you drive according to the conditions. If conditions require you to slow down and increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, then you do so REGARDLESS of what you are driving. Someone in an AWD should not be driving any faster or any closer than they would be if they were driving a FWD or RWD, but many do because they think they have more control. They are very much mistaken.

Last edited by Glitch; 01-30-2009 at 11:25 PM..

Old 01-31-2009, 03:10 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,416,517 times
I know somebody already mentioned it, but I am also gonna recommend studded tires.

I currently dont use them, and I havent had a problem. I must say that BFGoodrich All-Terrains do an awesome job. However there are a few times I wish I had them. Especially if you are doing highway driving, then I would definently recommend them.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:00 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I don't think there is any one type of popular vehicle in Anchorage. You will see every type of vehicle known to man in that town. Hot rods to horse drawn buggies.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:57 AM

411 posts, read 962,047 times
See many 560sl's up that way in S.E. or coastal areas? I don't think Red is willing to leave it behind. I know it's not a practical car, tell that to her and it's "flame on" time.

She's been to Driving School and handles it very well, but again, my practical side wants to argue the points.

My Mandar says put the match down.

Any help?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 AM

138 posts, read 428,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Any two-wheeled drive vehicle is just fine for Alaska, as long as you do a few things to it. Like getting it winterized (block heater, oil pan heater, battery blanket, etc.) and by a full set of studded tires before the snow falls. I have been driving a two-wheel drive Saturn for the last 5 years without any problems. I think there has been one or two days where the snow was too deep to make it to the highway, and then one day a couple weeks ago where the road was an ice-skating rink, but those are the only times I can recall in the last 5 years not being able to drive my Saturn safely.

Don't do anything while still in the lower-48, wait until you get to Alaska before winterizing your vehicle and buying studded tires. The reason is because mechanics in Alaska have winterized a great many vehicles and they know what works best, and what doesn't. They also keep these items in stock, and won't have to make any special orders like they may have to do in the lower-48.

Could you recommend some good mechanics? PM Me. I have a Honda Civic that is being shipped to Ft. Richardson.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM

119 posts, read 387,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kat2003 View Post
Could you recommend some good mechanics? PM Me. I have a Honda Civic that is being shipped to Ft. Richardson.
We have had good service and reasonable prices at a place in mountain view. Mountian View Auto Repair. 216 N Bunn St. Anchorage 907 272-5637. However, we have American made cars, not sure if they do imports.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:48 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,362,348 times
good neighbors in alaska towns, cities should help each other out. golden rule is to loan money if its in budget. help friendly neighbors buy autos, appliances, boats, planes, and take them out to dinner once in a while. go beyond call of duty. Great Alaskan Towns, Cities. Mr bob honor Golden Rule. yes indeed.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Sweet, Bob. I could use a new Cesna.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:15 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
I can use a new SUV there Robert Blockus, yes indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage