Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 PM

14 posts, read 39,231 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to the forum and am planning a very short, sharp and shiny two days in Anchorage / Whittier areas, pre-cruise. I have been doing my homework on this and have decided to book a B&B instead of a hotel for the one night we are in town (Mangy Moose and Frontier Gardens are currently at the top of my list). The Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre is on my list of must see/do, and perhaps a white weater rafting or glacier trip?

My fiance and I were thinking of hiring a car and driving around ourselves, including the trip down to Whittier on the 19th to board our cruise and have a couple of questions I am hoping you'll be able to answer. I have read through a number of posts and am picking up some VERY useful key pointers (don't approach a moose and try to pet it...excellent advice!) but still have questions...

1. Although experienced and confident drivers, I have never driven outside of Australia, and my fiance has only driven in the Boston region, so is mid-September an appropriate time to be attempting to drive on Alaskan roads? We worry about black ice and needing snow chains - is this even an issue at that time of year?

2. Is there the ability to hire a car in Anchorage and drop off in Whittier so we can see more than just a train ride between the two spots would offer? Do you reckon they would smack us with a huge fee for the privilege?

3. ...and...throwing in a dumb Aussie blonde chick question... Is there even a remote chance we will get to see the northern lights at that time of year? (I know...)

I am so looking forward to experiencing your gorgeous part of the world for myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,850,690 times
You won't need to worry about snow and ice, I'm pretty sure you won't see northern lights, and yes you can rent a car and drive to Whittier...but I'm not sure about leaving the car there. I'd imagine the rental place will let you know about that. It's a nice drive from Anch to Whittier. Do it if you can. All the tourists will be gone so the drive will be considerably safer due to lack of motorhomes and large boats taking up the road.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:59 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,008,081 times
Not sure if anyone is doing one way car rentals to Whitter. If there is it will be quite expensive. I knew someone that was doing one way rentals a few years ago. Unless you kept the car more than 3 days there was a return fee charged.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,156,356 times
And don't drive in the left lane unless you are going to pass someone!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,925,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooieBear View Post
My fiance and I were thinking of hiring a car and driving around ourselves, including the trip down to Whittier on the 19th to board our cruise and have a couple of questions I am hoping you'll be able to answer. I have read through a number of posts and am picking up some VERY useful key pointers (don't approach a moose and try to pet it...excellent advice!) but still have questions...

2. Is there the ability to hire a car in Anchorage and drop off in Whittier so we can see more than just a train ride between the two spots would offer? Do you reckon they would smack us with a huge fee for the privilege?

I am so looking forward to experiencing your gorgeous part of the world for myself!
I believe Avis is the only car rental agency in Whittier and they do have a pricey drop fee. You can also hiring a car with driver for about $450 or hiring a car and driver that also gives you a tour for $495.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 PM

14 posts, read 39,231 times
Hi all,

Warptman - You made me laugh so abruptly that I almost snorted coffee out my nose! My fiance has driven a few times in the States and said it is easier than you think to drive on the correct side of the road, but my main worry is turning a corner onto the wrong side, or worse, going around a round about the wrong way!

It seems as though Avis do the one way drop off for a fee of about US$100 and we'll take that option as it seems to be the best way of experiencing what we want.

We have booked an ATV adventure for the Friday afternoon and plan to see the Conservation park on the way down to Whitter on day 2. Other than that, we will wander through downtown Anchorage in our downtime and maybe just take a drive out NE of town to 'see what we see'.

'Mr K' doesn't eat meat so we will make sure to hit a good seafood place for dinner, but I would really like to try some of the different Nth American meats. I have read that you can buy reindeer but not moose, bear or caribou at restaurants so since I'm open to trying anything new, I will just keep my eyes open and see what I stumble across! Having read a few reviews, Gwennie's looks good for breakfast (a crab omlette or a fried halibut sandwhich!! YUM) the Moose's Tooth for lunch and then maybe Simon's for dinner?

2 months 16 days to go but who's counting!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,551,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooieBear View Post
Hi all,

Warptman - You made me laugh so abruptly that I almost snorted coffee out my nose! My fiance has driven a few times in the States and said it is easier than you think to drive on the correct side of the road, but my main worry is turning a corner onto the wrong side, or worse, going around a round about the wrong way!
Not much danger in that. As far as I know, the only round about is in Juneau.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:08 AM

809 posts, read 3,571,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I believe Avis is the only car rental agency in Whittier and they do have a pricey drop fee. You can also hiring a car with driver for about $450 or hiring a car and driver that also gives you a tour for $495.
So, if a cruise leaves you in Whittier and you need to get to the airport in Anchorage
OR
If you fly in to Anchorage and need to get to your curise in Whittier...

Are there any transportation options for less than $450?

It seems like there would be a lot of cruise travelers that need to get from Whittier to Anchorage or Anchorage to Whittier. What are their options?

Thanks!!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,702,041 times
You might try posting over on the Cruise Critic Alaska forum. Just google that. There are some people on there that have this figured out. There are other options besides renting a car.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:47 AM

809 posts, read 3,571,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You might try posting over on the Cruise Critic Alaska forum. Just google that. There are some people on there that have this figured out. There are other options besides renting a car.
Thanks! Looks like a great website!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage