Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 06:17 PM

6 posts, read 10,723 times

Advertisements

So here is my dilemma:
My girlfriend and I are moving to Anchorage on August 15th. I will be taking a faculty position at UAA and she will be doing freelance journalism. I have been looking for housing on craigslist, but it is so hard to tell who is legit and who is a con artist. Furthermore, the good rentals seems to disappear in days and the renters seem hesitant to send me good photos when they can just show the place to other interested parties. As of right now, we have nowhere to live and I really don't want to sign a lease without seeing a place first. I'll get to the point...what I really would like to find is someone willing to share their house for a week to a month that way we can find exactly what we are looking for. We are both 25, quiet, clean, respectful, non-smokers with no pets. I am hoping to find someone who could use the extra cash, but also who could help give us some local insight. If you know anyone that might be interested please send them my info or link them to this.
Thanks for reading,
Matt
mjcb@lehigh.edu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:19 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times

Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Summer Guest Housing

Call them and see if they can put you up for a week. I'm not sure of the exact date they shut down but it's only $50 a night when they have it.

Otherwise you next best choice is the find a Bed and Breakfast in Anchorage. With the summer tourism slump you may be able to negoiate a good deal for a week.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0303 View Post
So here is my dilemma:
My girlfriend and I are moving to Anchorage on August 15th. I will be taking a faculty position at UAA and she will be doing freelance journalism. I have been looking for housing on craigslist, but it is so hard to tell who is legit and who is a con artist. Furthermore, the good rentals seems to disappear in days and the renters seem hesitant to send me good photos when they can just show the place to other interested parties. As of right now, we have nowhere to live and I really don't want to sign a lease without seeing a place first. I'll get to the point...what I really would like to find is someone willing to share their house for a week to a month that way we can find exactly what we are looking for. We are both 25, quiet, clean, respectful, non-smokers with no pets. I am hoping to find someone who could use the extra cash, but also who could help give us some local insight. If you know anyone that might be interested please send them my info or link them to this.
Thanks for reading,
Matt
mjcb@lehigh.edu
Hiya, Matt
Nice to see someone else who's going to be joining UAA this year.
My experience finding housing has been fairly straight-forward; some scams on craigslist, but I found plenty of people willing to chat on the phone, share photos, and discuss the situation. In fact, I rather found the process easier than when I've rented rooms in France for research.
I've found a place with a roommate, so I'm not able to offer some room (and I'm only arriving in town the 9th, so my guide experience is limited).

That said, here's a few options:
1) Have you checked with your department secretary? Kathy over in History has been outstanding, and was willing to put me in contact with some other incoming faculty to help scope out places.

2) I noticed a number of efficiency rentals advertised at weekly rates fairly cheap. This might be a good option to at least get you in town and looking around.

Hope that helps. Look forward to meeting you around all the UAA events those first few weeks.

Scott
sgavors@emory.edu

Old 07-21-2009, 10:01 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
I was going to suggest a couple of the extended stay efficiencies as well. A few days to a week in one might not be the worst way to go to find permanent digs.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:07 AM

49 posts, read 105,351 times
tryout this....

CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time

Old 07-28-2009, 06:25 PM

10 posts, read 29,429 times
Default In the same boat

I am also moving to Anchorage around the 15th, although I would not subject my two children and two dogs to anyone so I am not looking to stay with anyone. I have just been unable to find any ratings on apartment complexes. Does anyone know anything about Country Lane, Sundance, or Timber Ridge? I have put the addresses into the school district's website and determined that they are zoned for Roger's Park, Sand Lake, and Fire Lake Elementary (in that order). I am not picky about amenities, the schools are the most important thing. Also, all of these accept pets. Does anyone have any advice?

Also, I have been reading this forum for awhile now while we were waiting to see if my job came through. It has helped me to learn a lot about Anchorage.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:11 AM

10 posts, read 29,429 times
Default Sorry that came out wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by From NOLA To Anchorage View Post
I am also moving to Anchorage around the 15th, although I would not subject my two children and two dogs to anyone so I am not looking to stay with anyone. I have just been unable to find any ratings on apartment complexes. Does anyone know anything about Country Lane, Sundance, or Timber Ridge? I have put the addresses into the school district's website and determined that they are zoned for Roger's Park, Sand Lake, and Fire Lake Elementary (in that order). I am not picky about amenities, the schools are the most important thing. Also, all of these accept pets. Does anyone have any advice?

Also, I have been reading this forum for awhile now while we were waiting to see if my job came through. It has helped me to learn a lot about Anchorage.
What I meant to say is that I would not subject anyone to my two boys and two dogs not the other way around. I must have been tired when I wrote that. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on the apartment complexes mentioned before, please let me know. The time is flying by and we will be leaving soon. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage