Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:15 PM

19 posts, read 54,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS57 View Post
We scraped he car every morning - a minor inconvenience but no big deal.
Thank you so much for saying this, I envisioned an iceberg on the windshield!

Quote:
I really, really like Anchorage
I am thrilled to read this comment. What do you like about it?

Quote:
we are staying at the Midtown Extended stay. It's not that bad. Not as nice as the Hilton, but clean and friendly. Not the hell hole that the online travel reviews make it out to be.
We sure will check it out. It is true that it is represented as a yucky place. When I called there last week to ask whether there was indoor parking the kid who answered the phone was totally spaced out. He seemed to forget what we were talking about in the middle of our very short conversation, or maybe he fell asleep, not sure what his problem was but he sure was out of it. He did not know what I meant by covered or indoor parking until I described a garage by actually saying building where cars are parked that has a roof covering the cars. He did not make a good first impression for me, but after reading your comment we will take a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,038,164 times
Quote:
we are staying at the Midtown Extended stay. It's not that bad. Not as nice as the Hilton, but clean and friendly. Not the hell hole that the online travel reviews make it out to be. Right across the street from Moose's tooth, the theatre, the library - perfect. We haven't had any problems, been here a month now. Will probably stay another month or so before risking another rent deposit. But if I were you, I'd at least give it a look before checking in at the Hilton - price is about 1/3 less.
Last winter - I think around Feb/March of 08 - The SWAT team raided the Midtown Extended Stay and actually got into a gunfight with an armed robbery suspect who was holed up in one of the rooms! Have you noticed any bullet holes?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 AM

103 posts, read 272,121 times
Wow Stiffnecked - no, we must be here during the quiet season! No problems like that. The only thing that even remotely bothers me here is the occasional smell of other people's dinner cooking, when you walk in the hallways around dinner time. And that depends on what they are fixing I guess - it's not always a bad smell. Being across from Moose's Tooth is great - we just walk over, don't have to circle the area looking for parking.
What do I love about Anchorage? The general attitude of the people - there is a certain independance in thinking, a feeling that people can and should be able to take care of themselves. Kind of a 'live and let live' attitude seems to prevail. I like the fact that the library parking lot always has cars, sometimes it's packed - it wasn't that way where we moved from. I love the number of parks, places where you can walk out a few steps and be in a beautiful wooded area. Yesterday at Kincaid park there was a crowd of people skate skiing - (don't know what you actually call that) - several biking, hiking, walking their dogs. A family out tossing a softball, flying little model planes.. people tend to get out and live life here, not plop in front of the TV.
Also, the restaurants - you could eat in a different one every week, no telling how long before you'd repeat. And lots of them are really, really good. There is plenty of shopping - three malls that I know of. I'm not much of a shopper, but it will give me a place to take my sister when she comes to visit. And there is a natural foods store right up the street! With a large selection of foods, and people actually buying them. Where I'm from there was a tiny selection, and you got the impression the stuff had been on the shelf for awhile.
Things to do - we went to a local guy's magic show last Saturday. He was good - not really slick and professional yet, but very good. Even my cynical 15 yr olds were impressed. And we have tickets to Dane Cook next week. This place is big enough to attract decent entertainment, in my opinion.
It's easy to get around in Anchorage, the layout of the roads makes sense, if you know what I mean. It's not like that in lots of places. And the traffic is never bad (I've lived in Houston, TX - traffic here is nothing). You can get to just about anywhere in town in 10-15 minutes at most.
I'm sorry - guess I got carried away. I love this place!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 AM

One more thing - I like the fact that you hardly ever have to dress up. I mean, it's kind of optional. There is quite a tolerance here for variety/diversity I guess. I never feel like I don't look good enough to be seen at the grocery or whatever.

Also on extended stay - it probably wouldn't be to everyones taste. When we first came up we did look at it, and were kind of put off - not sure what it was exactly. Maybe it did seem slightly dangerous, or sometihing. But now we feel like actual Anchorage residents - I guess we look at it differently. I wondered when we got back, exactly what it was that put us off the first time. And I stayed here for three weeks without the husband, just me and two of the boys. I dunno - it doesn't seem bad at all now. At least you should take a look I guess.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:35 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,896,166 times
I don't know a thing about Midtown Extended Stay but I do know that a lot of the cheaper motels that rent for extended stays sometimes have people and families living there that might not be able to rent an apartment due to a bad background. The landlords seem to be more careful and strict in Anchorage and it is probably because they have been burned frequently by bad tenants.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,713,910 times
I wouldn't plan on staying at an extended stay much more than a week to 10 days. If you bust your backside that's plenty of time to find a good, quality rental in Anchorage.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:06 PM

On the other hand, lots of the folks staying here are contract workers that have a family back home; they are mainly here for the purpose of making large sums of money and don't care to make this place a permanent home. It's not all riff-raff

I keep hearing about all this crime that Anchorage is infested with - I just don't see it. Last year a guy jumped out of the 3rd floor of the Hamilton Inn, naked, and was later found dead in a snow bank behind Home Depot on Tudor road. The Hamilton Inn is a 'nice' motel. Nut cases and druggies can turn up about anywhere these days.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,713,910 times
Quote:
On the other hand, lots of the folks staying here are contract workers that have a family back home; they are mainly here for the purpose of making large sums of money and don't care to make this place a permanent home. It's not all riff-raff
The correct term would be CARPETBAGGERS...

Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,762,154 times
I am a woman who daily hikes the trails of Anchorage alone with my dog. I have lived here 12 years and have never had any apprehension regarding Anchorage & crime. Yes, we have crime; however, most of it is not random, but is often interpersonal. I do make a point not to go out to quick shops after dark. In fact, I stay home after dark most of the time. We do meet after work for drinks & dinner downtown without any worries or concerns. Well, our only concern is when we can stop feeding the meters.

Yes there are shootings but my friends and associates certainly aren't involved. The homeless folks seem pretty harmless to me. I make a point to donate to the homeless shelters.

I love Anchorage! I feel totally safe here. None of my friends and colleagues talk about their concerns of or express fear for their safety. Anchorage is a beautiful place. Where else could I hike or ski out my back door onto trails that traverse the entire town?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 PM

okay, point taken.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage