Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:04 PM

57 posts, read 163,029 times

Advertisements

East Anchorage High School is a great school. It is also one of the most ethnically diverse schools in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. So if you appreciate diversity, different cultures, and students from various socioeconomic backgrounds then you would have a great state of mind about sending your kids to East.

I'm a proud 2008 graduate of East Anchorage High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:20 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,721,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceD91 View Post
East Anchorage High School is a great school. It is also one of the most ethnically diverse schools in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. So if you appreciate diversity, different cultures, and students from various socioeconomic backgrounds then you would have a great state of mind about sending your kids to East.

I'm a proud 2008 graduate of East Anchorage High School.
I have heard good things about East but I dont know about it being one of the most diverse in the entire county. I have been to California.

Last edited by roadfamily6now; 11-02-2009 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,135,745 times
I live on the East side of town (Muldoon). All the schools on this side suck, I feel bad for my kids. I was born and raised in the Muldoon area. Although the area has never been affluent, it wasn't as bad as it is now. I suppose the one nice thing is since all the schools over here have more than 75% of the students at poverty level the whole school gets free lunches. For the record, my family dos not qualify for free lunch not do I think the entire school should get free lunches. If I ran the district this would change.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I live on the East side of town (Muldoon). All the schools on this side suck, I feel bad for my kids. I was born and raised in the Muldoon area. Although the area has never been affluent, it wasn't as bad as it is now. I suppose the one nice thing is since all the schools over here have more than 75% of the students at poverty level the whole school gets free lunches. For the record, my family dos not qualify for free lunch not do I think the entire school should get free lunches. If I ran the district this would change.
Which schools are those? My DD goes to Bartlet and their lunches are not free. Maybe high school does not count.

Speaking of Bartlet, there is some good teachers there but what they are experimenting with for the Freshmen is just weird. I guess they are isolating them from the other grades?? To prevent vandalism or something. talking to a 15 year old is a difficult way to get facts.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
OK- thanks! I had forgotten how brand-new the German immersion was! So you eldest is in the highest grade- 3rd grade. Next year they will add a 4th grade.

I can also understand why they are working out organizational kinks. It's a difficult program to implement.

Our first spanish immersion kids are getting ready to graduate from college now, after having gone through the program at ASD for 13 years.
So you work at the Spanish School? Does it work similar to Rilke? Is it pretty successful? Do you have lots of students or are they keeping it small?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,761,354 times
Default Spanish Immersion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
So you work at the Spanish School? Does it work similar to Rilke? Is it pretty successful? Do you have lots of students or are they keeping it small?
The Spanish Immersion School, Government Hill, had to overload the bottom grades to accommodate for attrition at the upper levels. In addition to K, 1, & 2 immersion classrooms they have a K/1/2 multiage classroom.

There are a lot of students. First grade traditionally has a group of 24 & a group of 24. They spend half a day with the Spanish teacher & half a day with the English teacher. The multiage K/1/2 has about 26 kids with one bilingual teacher.

The immersion program is very successful. The children come out of 6th grade speaking like a native speaker & then continue on in a program at Romig Middle School & then West HS.

It is a 2-way immersion, since half of the children are native Spanish speakers & half are native English speakers. The school, Government Hill, continues to make AYP every year on the test scores, as the ESL kids transfer the skills from their native Spanish to English testing.

The challenge is finding native Spanish speaking teachers as there is a turn-over in Anchorage with so many military families.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,761,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Perhaps you could start a school-wide contribution box to buy hand-sanitizer for classrooms, lunch carts, tutoring rooms, etc. Then parents like you in Title I schools would have a venue for giving back to the school. Most classrooms in ASD this year are short on hand-sanitizer, especially the pull-out classrooms of PE, music, health, art, & library since they are not privy to the supply list requests.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Perhaps you could start a school-wide contribution box to buy hand-sanitizer for classrooms, lunch carts, tutoring rooms, etc. Then parents like you in Title I schools would have a venue for giving back to the school. Most classrooms in ASD this year are short on hand-sanitizer, especially the pull-out classrooms of PE, music, health, art, & library since they are not privy to the supply list requests.
that is a good idea.

On that topic, there was one school and I wish I could recall which one it was but sadly we move too much and that means many school,.......that told my kids that hand sanitizer was not allowed in school and made my children throw theirs away.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,894,744 times
I don't think anyone should be opposed to free lunch programs, it is a good use of tax dollars compared to subsidizing a farmer not to grow a certain product or bailing out a financial corporation that should know better. At a very grass roots level, food in the belly is good for America. I was always surprised of the number of kids my children go to school with that were not able to purchase lunch and did not bring a packed lunch. These were kids coming from two-parent families, homeowners and the like. To me is seemed abusive that any child would be deprived of a meal. I would always ask my daughter "are you sure that they didn't just use their lunch money on something else? " but they hadn't. She was a caring sort who would share her lunch to kids in need. This year, that school is a title 21 school and every child gets free lunch. Many times in Anchorage, you can work hard for a living, and still not earn enough to supply basic needs. Adults can do without, children should not have to go hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage