Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 AM

8 posts, read 26,976 times

Advertisements

After reading this I feel really good about my decision to live downtown Anc. 2 miles from the office - shortest commute I've had in my 20 years of work - love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,560,176 times
Hi guys - a lurker here. It's surprising to read how many people in a place like Alaska either don't know how to drive on snow/ice, or apparently don't care (until it's too late). I've been shocked reading this thread!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,135,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Hi guys - a lurker here. It's surprising to read how many people in a place like Alaska either don't know how to drive on snow/ice, or apparently don't care (until it's too late). I've been shocked reading this thread!
Actually it's not the Alaskans that drive that way. It's people who have moved up here with their powerful SUV 4WD bling bling land boats. The Glenn has ruts in all lanes caused by studs. These ruts fill with ice and after a fresh snow are like launch pads, so in all honesty it does not take much to catapult a vehicle and then the driver overcorrects at 60MPH and then yada yada. Actually, the Escalade was from the south I think Carolina........(kidding).

Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,172,913 times
Seen a Ford Explorer in the ditch going to the airport yesterday outside of Birchwood, don't know how the hell he got in there, the roads were good all day!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,376,497 times
Warpt maybe he was looking for the escalade? Or perhaps he was looking for a challenge and why buy a 4wd if you don't go off road?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,560,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Warpt maybe he was looking for the escalade? Or perhaps he was looking for a challenge and why buy a 4wd if you don't go off road?
Hopefully for extra traction(??)

Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 PM

941 posts, read 1,795,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Actually it's not the Alaskans that drive that way. It's people who have moved up here with their powerful SUV 4WD bling bling land boats.
I don't know if I can say I believe this is true. I've talked to a couple of people who were driving exceptionally fast in their big trucks and it appears to me my very small sample shows the worst drivers are originally from Alaska. My wife and her friends who are all from Alaska claim all of the really bad drivers are Alaskans who are wearing their 'Jesus shoes" which means they simply can't believe they aren't the world's best drivers on snow and ice. I've been driving for over fifty years now and much of my winter driving has been in the Northern States and I am certain I've learned to drive on snow and ice in those years. Show me some proof that the majority of the fastest drivers aren't born and bred here.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:24 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,135,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Show me some proof that the majority of the fastest drivers aren't born and bred here.
My completely scientific and informal survey of rolled over SUV drivers as follows: All direct quotes.

1) I live in Alaska but I was born in Wasilla.
2) Anchorage is where I call home, but I winter in Midtown.
3) Can I have a hit on yer beer?
4) I thought my wife was driving. She's from Texas.
5) That understeer is a real problem. I had it checked in Tok but maybe that was Fairbanks. I'm not sure, it's so darn WHITE everywhere.
6) Where's the frickin' car?
7) Hell, I don't know I came to and there was this guy in a funny blue hat asking me if I was ok. He did not look like he was from Arkansas but ya never know.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 PM

941 posts, read 1,795,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
My completely scientific and informal survey of rolled over SUV drivers as follows: All direct quotes.

Well let me see if I can remember enough of my college statistics to do a rough analysis of your facts:

1) I live in Alaska but I was born in Wasilla.

Well that disqualifies him based on he might know their most famous resident who is from elsewhere.

2) Anchorage is where I call home, but I winter in Midtown.

I think I saw a banged up SUV sliding through a red light yesterday on Tudor.

3) Can I have a hit on yer beer?

Oh Oh he's obviously from Alaska. He didn't ask you to buy him a beer.

4) I thought my wife was driving. She's from Texas.

Well that's really bad! Just think if he was to have an argument with her and came back with; "If you don't stop I'll divide Alaska in half and Texas will be the third largest State." He would be dog food!!!!!

5) That under steer is a real problem. I had it checked in Tok but maybe that was Fairbanks. I'm not sure, it's so darn WHITE everywhere.

I think this guy thought he was mushing his dogs instead of his SUV.

6) Where's the frickin' car?

Oh this is easy he lost his glasses in the wreck; he must be from Alaska.

7) Hell, I don't know I came to and there was this guy in a funny blue hat asking me if I was ok. He did not look like he was from Arkansas but ya never know.

Check the station the TV in his SUV was on when it happened. He was watching Alaska State Troopers so he doesn't count.
So I think you proved they were all Alaska drivers didn't you?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 PM

96 posts, read 257,446 times
Anchorage area drivers are horrible. When I visit from Fairbanks we see them, speeding, running red lights, tailgating, impatient and completely rude and it's not just a few it's a large percentage. Fairbanks in the last few years has been getting a lot worse and now is starting to resemble Anchorage when it comes to bad drivers.

There are more and more people commuting to Anchorage who seem to factor these driving habits into their day in order to cover the miles and get to work on time too. I don't think it's going to change, Alaska is looking more like the lower 48 all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage