Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 10:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times

Advertisements

I am in Anchorage until the 25th of June and would like some suggestions for easy dayhikes where I might get some opportunities for wildlife photos. I did Flattop and made it to the 2nd saddleback before I decided I was tired enough to start back. I do not do semi-vertical very well so when I learned the 3rd saddlback was hand over hand climbing I decided I had ventured far enough for the day.

I am not a camper type person and would like to keep my treks relatively short and under 6 hours in duration. Short inclines are fine... I had no problems with Blueberry hill, but the steps up to the saddleback on Flattop were a bit more that I could enjoy. Too many of those and I would rather not.

What time of day is best for wildlife viewing and what areas are the best compromise for opportunity/safety?

I have been told that Powerline around 3am is good for Moose....anyone wanna second that opinion before I give it a shot? I have a long telephoto (500mm) with me so even bear would be a nice shot if I can see them before they sniff me. No up close and personal exchanges are desired, if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 10:09 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
Couldn't say, see moose all over the place, at all hours, but I'd say morning is best.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:48 PM

69 posts, read 321,015 times
Borrow a canoe and canoe Campbell Creek. Put in at Lake Otis Park and get out at Campbell Lake Park. Takes 3 leisurely hours except the falls at Old Seward hwy passing the Peanut Farm and where you get the best hamburgers in town. Paddle Out!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM

136 posts, read 459,540 times
Check out the Eagle River Nature Center. They have nice trails and used to have spotting scopes out if there were any bears/moose/sheep on the mountain slopes. Even with no wildlife, it's a beautiful area.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:02 AM

35 posts, read 328,110 times
Wolverine peak or near point.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,406 times
There are several trails that parallel the Seward Hwy south of Anchorage that are not very difficult. Check at the office for maps and suggestions just south of Potter Marsh. Another very nice and fairly level trail is the Winner Creek Trail which starts near the Alyeska Tram station in Girdwood and leads you to a cage hand tram across a ravine and then you come out on Crow Creek Rd. Check at the US Forest Service office in Girdwood for this and other trails in the area.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldn2slavery View Post
Check out the Eagle River Nature Center. They have nice trails and used to have spotting scopes out if there were any bears/moose/sheep on the mountain slopes. Even with no wildlife, it's a beautiful area.
This was a great suggestion! Easy, relatively flat trails (even handicap accessible believe it or not) and some nice wetland viewing platforms. I got some real nice shots of a Bull Moose very close to the viewing deck. I will post some when I get a chance to sort through them and pick a couple of the better "poses".

Old 06-24-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
There are several trails that parallel the Seward Hwy south of Anchorage that are not very difficult. Check at the office for maps and suggestions just south of Potter Marsh. Another very nice and fairly level trail is the Winner Creek Trail which starts near the Alyeska Tram station in Girdwood and leads you to a cage hand tram across a ravine and then you come out on Crow Creek Rd. Check at the US Forest Service office in Girdwood for this and other trails in the area.
Thanks for these ideas. I wish I had seen them earlier....I went to Denali and was away from my internet for a couple of days and just saw this as I sit in the airport waiting for my flight home.

The hand tram sounds like a blast! This will be on my list for my next trip up here.

I did get to do some of the Tony Knowles Coastal trail and hit all the pullouts and parking areas along the Turnagain Arm and walked out on some of the trails from them. Had a great wildlife turnout in Denali....standard sheep, caribu and some better than average bear with cubs, two wolves, red fox, northern harrier, porcupine and cow moose.

All in all a fantastic vacation, just much too short as always.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
Fact: Bears are not playful after the yearling cub size. They are an appetite on legs. Omnivorous -eats just about anything. Giving food to bears makes them associate food with humans. Not a good idea. NEVER give your catch to a bear, unless it's a matter of life and death, and then throw it off to the side and attempt to back away. NO playing with the bears. This topic has been covered in many ways, in many threads.

Fools will allow nature to separate the wheat from the chaff and the sheep from the goats. It's called natural selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage