Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,086 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
I am a 22 year old woman who will be moving from pennsylvania to Michigan in a few months for work when I graduate. I will be working in Ann Arbor and have heard wonderful things about the area, but have NO IDEA where to look for housing. I ideally want to be somewhere where the "fun is at" but would like to stay out of the UM undergrad areas. I do not know anyone at all, so ideally i'd like to make some friends and be in an area that allows me to go out on the weekends and see the scene of ann arbor a bit! Does anyone have any suggestions for me, as to if Ann Arbor is where I should live, or if there are any other nearby towns that you would prefer? Also, if you know of any specific apartment/condo buildings to get me started, that would be great! I'm looking forward to the move! thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,555,140 times
I used to live in Ypsilanti (town next to Ann Arbor), so am very familiar with the AA area - but not enough to name apartment complexes. You'll probably be renting, and will want to stay in the "downtown" area if you want to be near the nightlife. However, keep in mind the nightlife in town is fairly UoM centric, as even the non-students are possibly associated with the University (professor, administrator, etc..).

The downtown core is fairly small and very walkable - so when you look for somplace to live, I'd start there.

Of course if you don't mind driving a bit -you can get into some of the bigger/newer apartment complexes out by the highways (on the edge of town) - but then you'll have to drive or take the bus to entertainment.

I hope you enjoy AA -- its a great place to live. We were sorry to leave the area.

Get a sandwich from Zingerman's deli (yeah - its stupid expensive, but really good) and grab a burger at the Grizzly Peak. And take a walk through the Arboretum (the Arb) ... in the Spring my husband and I used to take a path along the River (the Huron river) and see beaver swimming to make their dams.

Have fun!

Old 02-11-2011, 12:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Stay in real downtown. Only Grad students there for the most part. If you get into South U, or State Street, you will be overwhelmed by ghastly undergrads.

A great neighborhood with some decnt rentals is down near the Gandy Dancer. Some college kdis there, but not too many. You will not have much trouble finding rentals in grown up areas. Just get a short term lease at first and get to know the city. You will love Ann Arbor.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,568 times
There are some nice rentals near Zingerman's.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Look towards the north side and along the western part of A2...

Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,289 times
Hey! I just moved to Ann Arbor from Boston. I don't have many friends here either so shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to meet up for a drink or a bite to eat. -Bill - [EMAIL="wnswerdlick@gmail.com"]wnswerdlick@gmail.com[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
View detailed profiles of: