Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
I think that may change when people realise that ditching the car, allows people to use the $5-8000 per annum saved to pay down a mortgage - This BUILDS wealth, rather than depleting it
It depends on your definition of "wealth". Investing money for the future builds future wealth--at the cost of present wealth. I wouldn't call maintaining a modest vehicle a depletion of wealth; it's just a different form of wealth. The freedom of being able to travel where you want to when you want to with little effort is a type of present-day wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
It depends on your definition of "wealth". Investing money for the future builds future wealth--at the cost of present wealth. I wouldn't call maintaining a modest vehicle a depletion of wealth; it's just a different form of wealth. The freedom of being able to travel where you want to when you want to with little effort is a type of present-day wealth.
I mean the sort of wealth that can be measured.

SE Asian countries like Singapore are now ahead of the US

Transport is one of the reasons for that IMHO : RANT: Let's stop the US Transit Cash drain !

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I lived in an apartment near the corner of Jackson Rd and West Stadium. It was the 48103 zip as I recall. It's the west side of Ann Arbor, bordered by the freeway.
I will take a Walkscore reading in that location...

Walkscore : 94- Walkers Paradise
Transit -- : 67- Good Transit
St. Score : 99- Paradise
========
http://www.walkscore.com/report/Jack...m-ann-arbor-mi

These are great scores, apart from Transport.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Not sure anyone ever addressed your question: YES.

Ann Arbor is probably the only place in S.E. Mi where you can readily live without a car. Tens of thousands do it (mostly students). You will however need access to borrow or rent a car on occasion when you want to leave Ann Arbor. You will also need ot live within walking distance of downtown.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not sure anyone ever addressed your question: YES.

Ann Arbor is probably the only place in S.E. Mi where you can readily live without a car. Tens of thousands do it (mostly students). You will however need access to borrow or rent a car on occasion when you want to leave Ann Arbor. You will also need ot live within walking distance of downtown.
That's a very fair summary. Thanks.

I grew up in Detroit (and its suburbs), and felt it important look somewhere in the state - hence my interest in Ann Arbor. Upon further reflect, I wonder if the "walkable downtown pocket" is going to be interesting enough for an older person like me, who is years away from his student days.
( It might make me feel "really old". Haha)

But I appreciate everyone's comments here.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
There's a fair number of age 35+ residents. That's why I suggested the west side, rather than downtown. A number of seniors live out that way, as well. I'm in my 50s and still have friends there.

As I wrote, I'd recommend Ann Arbor over Columbus for your needs, plus it's closer to Chicago, with both buses and AmTrak going there, if you like the Michigan area.

If you want a truly walkable city with endless culture, you might like San Francisco better. A2 is much cheaper! However, there is also a limit to the entertainment and cultural venues. Chicago can fill some of that void, but it's a three/four hour trip one way, depending on traffic and construction.

There's a lot to weigh.

I left Michigan because of the terrible economy. Ohio was much better, but that's not as true, now. There is a high unemployment rate in both states, and the stats can't be trusted because a lot of people have just dropped off unemployment without getting work. I saw a chart somewhere that Ohio now has more people on welfare than working. I haven't been able to find it again, but I don't doubt it. I know very few people who have a 40-hour a week job, unless they are self-employed.

For what that's worth . . .

Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Well, my definition would be different from yours:
"travel(-ing) where you want to when you want to with little effort" - sounds more like consumption to me.

Sacrificing that freedom to paydown a mortgage is my idea of saving to build wealth.

Americans have been told to be "good consumers" for years. Some have forgotten how to be thrifting, and do things that build a better future tomorrow.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM

792 posts, read 2,323,624 times
YES you can live without a car in Ann Arbor, especially if you work from home. As was said above, A2 has a decent bus system (AATA) for a city that size and is bike-friendly. Most of the city is walkable. There are bus (Greyhound) and train connections to other cities. There are zipcars. The local culture is sympathetic to those who want to leave a smaller footprint (though I suspect not having a car will limit your choice of potential partners if you are unattached and looking for a mate). Go for it!

Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
It's much easier to live without a car than with it in Ann Arbor. Let me tell you why:

A) The bus system is excellent and takes you to 98% of the possible locales you would want to get to in the whole area.
B) Because the main-campus area has never really caught up to the fact that most adults own cars now, parking in the UofM district is almost nonexistent, even after they broke down and added a few public parking structures. When I lived there people would park, literally, 3 miles from work to simultaneously find a frikkin' place to park AND avoid the hailstorm of parking tickets that is a major source of income for the city.
C) The main campus area is a hideous tangle of one-way streets, dead ends and twistarounds, not counting areas closed off for road repair, that makes it much, much easier to get places on foot. A trip that takes you ten minutes on foot in Ann Arbor can take 45 minutes or longer if the parking structure is full, and even if it's not you'll pay to park when you finally do find a space. AND there's gas, license tags, insurance...Walking is way easier.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 AM

175 posts, read 406,044 times
I lived at Eisenhower and State street by Briarwood Mall a few years ago. It was easy to ride our bikes to most everything. aA has good bike lanes and good sidewalks to ride on. There are places where it is just too dangerous to ride on the road....wether you are supposed to or not!
Do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor