Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 PM

5 posts, read 11,749 times

Advertisements

Girlfriend and I are relocating to SE MI. Strongly considering Ann Arbor since we both lived in Madison, WI and we would like to get back to a college town. Here's what we're looking for in terms of housing:

1) Rental $1200/mo or less (preferably)
2) Preferably renting a home as opposed to an apartment
3) Pet friendly (3 cats)
4) Neighborhood that's relatively quiet, but still somewhat near stuff to do (restaurants, bars, etc.). Perhaps a neighborhood with grad students/young professionals (we're mid-20s).

Is this even possible? If so, can anyone recommend resources to check? It seems the craigslist postings are dominated by a handful of apartment complexes making repeated posts with varying titles ending in exclamation points, which is quite annoying. Also, any specific neighborhoods to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
I think people are going to tell you to look into Kerrytown, but I think you probably won't find anything in your price range in that neighborhood unless you're ok with a 1br for all 5 of you. You could live a bit further out in Ann Arbor for less, but the neighborhood may not be as hip as you desire.

Another option I think is worthy of consideration would be Ypsilanti, a few miles down the road. It's got a bit more grit but Eastern Michigan University being located there gives it its own unique college town feel.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 AM

5 posts, read 11,749 times
Thanks. In terms of neighborhoods, I'd settle for any place that seems like it has a good sense of community and is relatively safe and quiet. Any "hip"ness is a bonus.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM

340 posts, read 913,981 times
As someone who has various college students on my staff in the AA/Ypsi area, they all have said that Ypsi isn't a college town at all. I've always asked places to go out around here and there have been no recommendations for Ypsi. One of my staff told me they were in AA one night, went to downtown Ypsi and it was dead.

Ypsi is more of a suburb of AA, but as gameguy said, it's got a bit more "grit" (which is a great way to describe it).

Sorry I really can't add much to where to look into, I work here and commute home (Taylor - soon to be Inkster).

Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,369 times
I consider Ann Arbor a suburb of Ypsilanti. Ypsilanti is 7 miles east of Ann Arbor with less expensive housing. Consider Pittsfield Township as well. Ann Arbor bashes the town of Ypsilanti for whatever reason, I don't know. But I have lived in Ypsilanti for 30 years with nary a problem. The historical aspect of Ypsilanti is a deep well to draw on and may be Ann Arbor's problem with Ypsilanti.

Ypsilanti has a wonderful mix of Greek's, Whites, Blacks, and Kentucky (from wwII and the town is affectionately know as Ypsi-tucky).

Another great town is Saline. it is located about 8 miles southwest of Ann Arbor. Saline has a real mid-west feel with a very friendly mix of citizens.

Last edited by Digiwizard; 03-08-2013 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: delete a word

Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiwizard View Post
I consider Ann Arbor a suburb of Ypsilanti.
Huh? Ann Arbor is BIGGER than Ypsi.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,665 times
There are some apartments and condos near the north campus area of U of M that are in your price range. Those places are often rented by grad students or young professionals. It still has a little bit of the college vibe but is much more quiet and has some (but much less) of the restaurants, etc., that you are looking for. "Quiet" and "near stuff to do" is subjective, so you do need to visit the areas yourself, but be aware that you probably have to prioritize one of the two because they don't really go hand in hand.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:40 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,974,409 times
The thread is a little old. Did you look on the old west side of Ann Arbor. You might not get a whole house, but you could probably get a 2 BR. Still close to Main with restaurants and shopping in walking distance, a little further from campus so not as many undergrads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor