Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:21 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
The culture of U of M has changed drastically in the last decade. The administration is increasingly cash-hungry, and one way the habit is being satisfied is by increasing out-of-state enrollment, a student body which pays nearly 3x the normal tuition rate. You can probably guess the profile of these students: snobby, entitled, self-absorbed, hailing from some of the wealthiest zip codes in the country. Because of this, I found the place insufferable, and transferred out after a year.

The whole college-atmosphere is strange, marked by a major insecurity complex in which the administration and students are constantly sounding off about how remarkable they are compared to their peers (I can still remember feeling stirred and discomforted during orientation by all the talk about how special I was to be accepted by the University of Michigan. The administration labored this point relentlessly and worked to prove in numerous contexts over the course of the entire day). For some reason the school has attempted to elevate its image, rather than maintain its humble "harvard of the west" reputation. Because of this, the entire mood feels fake and inflated.

A friend recently remarked to me that U of M can be thought of in the following way: a bunch of spoiled, stodgy, know-it-all kids who lack intellectual image, but have money. A bunch of brilliant, ambitious, innovate faculty who have intellectual image, but lack money. The two complement each other in the worst way, and the outcome is increasingly proving regretful.

You could not have summed it up better. This is why I left my welcome orientation the first hour and did not chose to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
You could not have summed it up better. This is why I left my welcome orientation the first hour and did not chose to go there.
Since you supposedly understood him, I'll ask you: what on earth is "intellectual image"? I can't figure out what he meant by that and he hasn't been back.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:05 PM

104 posts, read 241,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Since you supposedly understood him, I'll ask you: what on earth is "intellectual image"? I can't figure out what he meant by that and he hasn't been back.
Allow me to speculate...

I can see and understand the division that they are talking about. I am attending a state school in Michigan right now and I've visited several other schools of varying reputation in the recent past.

It is my impression, especially from historical accounts, that higher education used to be way more prestigious than it is today. When I look at various media, especially video, from decades back, I get the sense that the people who went to school, especially at more well respected universities, seemed to have an air about them that is lacking nowadays.

I think that the argument these posters are trying to make is that sense of being has been somehow lost, or at least corrupted because of classism. The incoming student bodies rely more and more on financial means to gain entrance. I am not saying that the kids that are admitted aren't smart kids, but with tuition being less affordable it makes sense that less of the student body would be selected from the wider financial spectrum.

I think that you can really see this with international students. There are so many of them who can barely speak English at a very basic level and make little effort to do so. The schools just want them there because they mean big money for the universities. The students are there because they know their degress will bring big money back home. I actually feel sort of bad for them because in many cases it doesn't feel like the quality of education is up to par with what I assumed was required. It is less about the experience and more about the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor