Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,199 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband is getting relocated for work to Detroit. We are wanting to find a place that has the following things: diversity, culture, walk ability, lots of restaurants, shops, entertainment., and close to parks. We don't have children but are hoping to later on. So we are interested in buying a house. We really like our current city in NJ where it has a small town vibe with lots of things to do but is close to NYC. I really hate driving (primarily on freeways) so I need to be somewhere with the option to walk to many things or at least not have to drive on a freeway. My husband is used to currently commuting so long as it's under an hour he is okay with that. So far I have heard great things about Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Hamtrack, and Northville. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:35 AM

181 posts, read 206,275 times
Default Those are mostly good recommendations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie68 View Post
Hi everyone,
My husband is getting relocated for work to Detroit. We are wanting to find a place that has the following things: diversity, culture, walk ability, lots of restaurants, shops, entertainment., and close to parks. We don't have children but are hoping to later on. So we are interested in buying a house. We really like our current city in NJ where it has a small town vibe with lots of things to do but is close to NYC. I really hate driving (primarily on freeways) so I need to be somewhere with the option to walk to many things or at least not have to drive on a freeway. My husband is used to currently commuting so long as it's under an hour he is okay with that. So far I have heard great things about Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Hamtrack, and Northville. Thanks for your help!
I lived in NYC for 3 years and I was born in Detroit.

Well, out of that list and period I would say Ann Arbor is closest to what you are looking for.....diversity due to being the location of UofM, a decent number of activities considering its small size, I don't think it's larger than 100,000-150,000 people. As far as diversity, AA wins and Hamtramck (I'll address Hamtramck later). Most cities here are pretty homogenous, so keep that in mind. Walkability in the areas near the university. Relatively family friendly.

Royal Oak would be my second choice. The downtown area has some walkability, but as you leave that area you will need a car. A young 20-30 somethings, post-college crowd dominates the social scene here. Birmingham is considered a "fancier" version of Royal Oak and it's worth checking out. Both fine places to raise a family. Ferndale is near Royal Oak, is smaller, but has a decent number of activities in the downtown area and events.

I would stay away from Hamtramck. There is a lot of culture/activities there, but the crime level is much higher than the other cities you mentioned. Definitely not a good place to raise a family or buy a home, imo.

Northville is probably the most family friendly city of them all but as far as activities, you do not get more surburban than Northville. There are activites to do but it is not considered to have a good social scene. Northville is close to AA though.

With the driving on freeways issue, I have bad news. Everything here is spread out so unless you want to stay in your city (which I doubt you will because no city here has everything you need in a walkable distance), you will probably be driving on the freeway. However, the traffic is not even close to as bad, compared to where you are moving from. Other than that, I think the choices I mentioned meet your criteria. One thing you will appreciate, is the fact that the cost of living here is much lower than where you are coming from. Great place to buy a house

Hope my post is helpful. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2015, 01:41 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,949,208 times
The highways here are nothing like what you're thinking of in northern Jersey. I grew up there, learned to drive there and husband is from Clifton~so traffic and driving here will be a breeze in comparison. Agree with the above posters about the areas you're considering. Might want to also look at Rochester Hills. Great school system.

Welcome to the Mitten State!

Old 09-20-2015, 05:57 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,608,055 times
I drove through Jersey once. And I thought Michigan drivers drove crazy. Turns out we just drive fast. Jersey was a new learning experience.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:29 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,253,719 times
CL89 summed it up nicely. Having lived in Ann Arbor since 1985 it certainly has "diversity, culture, walk ability, lots of restaurants, shops, entertainment., and close to parks." The city is also "anything but cars" friendly with sidewalks, bike paths and a very good bus system.
As to the commute in to Detroit I will only add to what others have said that in the not to distant future there will likely be a commuter train you can take from Ann Arbor to the city. It will probably be a crap shoot as to whether that train may be an option for your husband depending on where he works.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:35 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,276,212 times
There are select neighborhoods within Detroit worth considering (Indian Village, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, Midtown) that combine solid single family homes with walkable amenties and is diverse.

Grosse Pointe will remind you of Sea Girt, NJ. But only a 10 minute commute into Detroit.

Rochester Hills, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills are all your Paramus/Basking Ridge type suburbs.

I would consider Ferndale for diversity and proximity to Detroit - it's kind of the "Villages" of Detroit. Much more affordable and less commute than some of the other choices.

Pleasant Ridge and Dearborn would be other good options. Congrats on the new job!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:13 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,165,448 times
City of Plymouth - has a charming downtown; great school system. 15 minute drive to Ann Arbor and 30 minute drive to downtown/midtown Detroit. Close to Maybury State Park and Hines Drive and its chain of parks. Close to the big box stores and chain stores in Canton. Housing is pricey, though - do you have a budget?

Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 AM

93,521 posts, read 124,263,512 times
I was thinking of Plymouth, Royal Oak and Ferndale as well. Farmington/Farmington Hills in/around the city of Farmington is another place that would/could work as well. I thought about parts of Oak Park within the Berkley SD and parts of Southfield in the Birmingham SD, but they aren't complete in regards to the criteria.

Some info, including a census tract in the western portion of Farmington: Census Tract 165200 in Oakland County, Michigan

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4649...8i6656!6m1!1e1

The Official Website of the City of Farmington, Michigan (MI)
Downtown Farmington > Home
Farmington Hills, MI - Home

You can view info by census division in the area/school district here: Farmington Public School District - USA.comâ„¢
Farmington Public Schools

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-24-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 09-25-2015, 07:38 AM

768 posts, read 1,105,789 times
Ann Arbor, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Northville, definitely include Plymouth, Farmington/Farmington Hills. I would also add Berkley and Ferndale to checkout… Hamtrack can be sketchy choice, be careful.

Make sure to visit these towns and explore, walk around feel their vibe – you will be best judge. Try to land walkable to downtown core, that is always the best/most desirable location and safest investment…

My personal favorite is Northville because it’s so centrally located in state (easy airport access, awesome downtown) kool trail access, full of events, well defined historic Victorian district, Best Schools and vibrant.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,294 times
Thumbs up Michigan drivers are good, but fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I drove through Jersey once. And I thought Michigan drivers drove crazy. Turns out we just drive fast. Jersey was a new learning experience.
I agree with this. I have lived in four states in the last five years, and drove each time that I moved between them. I have basically covered the entire country by car.

In my opinion, Michigan drivers are among the best that I have seen, but also tend to drive the fastest, especially on expressways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor