Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 03:11 PM

63 posts, read 45,627 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for finding jobs in the Ann Arbor, MI area.

Of course, there are the usual options (Indeed, Monster, etc), but I feel like my options are a bit limited through these avenues.

It's been suggested to me that perhaps I should seek out great companies of interest and simply approach them with my resume. I have no problem doing this, but my question is:

Any other tips? Does anyone who is familiar with the Ann Arbor job market have any input that should be considered, particular to finding a job in the Ann Arbor area? Should I seek out a recruiter? Or any advice of a general nature?

I'm a recent graduate with a Bachelor's in Psychology.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:00 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
Are you looking for a job in the field of Psychology? If so I am guessing that you may need a masters degree to find something in this town.

On the other hand my oldest daughter was a former supervisor at Whole Foods (Washtenaw Ave store) and when she was there virtually ALL the employees had college degrees. She was a theater major. It wasn't a requirement but so many college grads applied they got most all the jobs.
My son-in-law graduated from U of M with a degree in Psychology and he is a cop, Washtenaw County Sheriffs deputy. The Whole Foods daughter, a theater major is now a cop too, same place.

I am rambling a bit but my point is, if you want a job in your field, your options are very limited without an advanced degree but if you want a job to move to town its a lot easier.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Are you looking for a job in the field of Psychology? If so I am guessing that you may need a masters degree to find something in this town.

On the other hand my oldest daughter was a former supervisor at Whole Foods (Washtenaw Ave store) and when she was there virtually ALL the employees had college degrees. She was a theater major. It wasn't a requirement but so many college grads applied they got most all the jobs.
My son-in-law graduated from U of M with a degree in Psychology and he is a cop, Washtenaw County Sheriffs deputy. The Whole Foods daughter, a theater major is now a cop too, same place.

I am rambling a bit but my point is, if you want a job in your field, your options are very limited without an advanced degree but if you want a job to move to town its a lot easier.
Thanks Craig! I probably should have clarified that. I'm totally open to jobs in different fields -- so I guess I'd fall into the "want a job to move to town" category. :-D

And the examples given were definitely helpful! I guess I'm largely trying to get a better idea of what options exist for me in the area (and how I should go about pursuing them), so any suggestions or specific examples are greatly appreciated!

Old 10-28-2016, 12:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
1. Go to U-M.

2. Get a PhD. (at least one degree from U-M)

3. bring some amazing skill with you.

4. Start a company and hire yourself.

5. Know someone.

6. Work in the trades (e.g. electrician, drywall, carpenter - all the trades are short handed).

7. Learn 8 languages and become conversational in all of them. (That is how my SIL got a job at U-M).

A BS in Psych is not all that useful these days. For one, they seem to be dime a dozen and second, there is no real job for a BS in psych. Get an advanced degree in IO or maybe in clinical and you have a great shot, especially IO. Try insurance companies. They are usually looking for and degreed persons to learn to be adjusters or underwriters. IT is a pretty terrible job, which is why they are always looking, but it is a job. Banks also hire a lot of random any degree persons, however you usually have to start as a teller, but if you hang around for two years you should be a VP. You could also go into sales. There you might use some of your Psychology learning. Sales pays well if you turn out to be good at it (A friend makes $250,000 - $450,000 a year selling the metal boxes that computers come in. Of course he did not start at that level and he is selling orders of millions at a time, but he likes his job)

Old 10-28-2016, 01:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Try insurance companies. They are usually looking for and degreed persons to learn to be adjusters or underwriters.
Another son-in-law, the one married to my cop daughter is an insurance adjuster. He likes his job and after 4 or 5 years at it he makes very good money and helps train other adjusters.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:01 PM

510 posts, read 716,904 times
There are quite a few jobs but not always easy to get. Maybe you need to narrow your focus down a little. This is a very educated community; the joke is that your restaurant server probably has a Master's degree. The cost of living (rent) is pretty high too.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:11 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
No one has mentioned--

Try University of Michigan

UMMC = University of Michigan Medical Center

Veterans Hospital

All major employers for the area.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanks a lot everyone! These have been very helpful so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
There are quite a few jobs but not always easy to get. Maybe you need to narrow your focus down a little. This is a very educated community; the joke is that your restaurant server probably has a Master's degree. The cost of living (rent) is pretty high too.
Thanks hhtwtm! Do you mean I should broaden my focus? I'm basically just trying to get an idea of what options exist in the area, so I can go from there. I would definitely be open to applying for jobs that aren't directly related to my Bachelor's degree.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
1. Go to U-M.

2. Get a PhD. (at least one degree from U-M)

3. bring some amazing skill with you.

4. Start a company and hire yourself.

5. Know someone.

6. Work in the trades (e.g. electrician, drywall, carpenter - all the trades are short handed).

7. Learn 8 languages and become conversational in all of them. (That is how my SIL got a job at U-M).

A BS in Psych is not all that useful these days. For one, they seem to be dime a dozen and second, there is no real job for a BS in psych. Get an advanced degree in IO or maybe in clinical and you have a great shot, especially IO. Try insurance companies. They are usually looking for and degreed persons to learn to be adjusters or underwriters. IT is a pretty terrible job, which is why they are always looking, but it is a job. Banks also hire a lot of random any degree persons, however you usually have to start as a teller, but if you hang around for two years you should be a VP. You could also go into sales. There you might use some of your Psychology learning. Sales pays well if you turn out to be good at it (A friend makes $250,000 - $450,000 a year selling the metal boxes that computers come in. Of course he did not start at that level and he is selling orders of millions at a time, but he likes his job)
Extremely helpful post, thanks so much Coldjensens! Do you advise any area-specific strategies for finding work in the trades? I haven't done this before, but I will definitely consider all opportunities. Thanks again!

Old 11-02-2016, 04:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
To find work in the trades, the easiest was to go is to go through one of the unions. They have training programs. Getting them to call you back can be a bit tricky. There is some speculation they like the current labor shortage because it drives up wages, so they want to keep it that way. No idea whether there is any truth to that. The other option is to get in through non-union. There you just have to find a job with a company, start at the bottom. If you stick around, you will move up quickly.

You can stay int eh trades (maybe make $75k a year, but work fixed hours and have no responsibility) of you can move into management (figure on working 50-60 hours a week and being loaded with responsibility/stress, but you cna make more $150,000 is not an unreasonable expectation. Frankly, you can end up running the company at some places).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor