Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:37 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt8070 View Post
Hi,

My family will visit Ann Arbor in summer of 2018. Our current plan is to fly into the Detroit airport, rent a car there and drive to Ann Arbor.

I am a bit concerned about the safety of Detroit airport. We don't know the Detroit area at all, so I will use a gps navigator for driving directions. I am worried that if I will put my family in danger by accidentally entering into a dangerous neighborhood if I make a wrong turn and take a wrong exit on the high way. We always use a gps navigator when visiting a new place, it works most of the time, but still taking a wrong turn and a wrong exit happens in every trip. In most places we have visited in the past, I am not too concerned about it when it happened. But Detroit makes me nervous due to its reputation.

Am I over concerned? Or should we avoid Detroit airport and fly into another airport instead?

Thank you.
If you're really that afraid, I would suggest you just stay home and lock all your doors and windows!

Old 01-04-2018, 10:36 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
If one wishes to up-sell the city of Detroit I'm not sure how piling on snide sarcastic responses helps the cause.
At this point the OP could reasonably think "I don't have to worry about safety but the people don't seem friendly"
OP has said nothing about the City of Detroit except he's scared of randomly being plopped in the middle of it. No need to sell it, then, up or down. Ann Arbor, on the other hand, requires no selling.

As for people seeming unfriendly, it's not location-specific, it's dumb question-specific. All in good fun, though. All in good fun.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:26 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post

As for people seeming unfriendly, it's not location-specific, it's dumb question-specific. All in good fun, though. All in good fun.
Are you saying the initial question was dumb? Why so?
The OP said they knew nothing about the area. Assuming they did a little Googling it wouldn't be hard to see Detroit listed as #3 in murders, #2 in violent crime overall , #2 in arson, #7 in robbery, #2 in aggravated assault but only #33 in property crime. Makes you wonder if the property crimes are low because people don't have anything worth stealing and/or they don't bother to report.

So if they see that on the Internet then come to this forum to get some local first hand opinion why do you see that as dumb?

Old 01-04-2018, 01:26 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
Are you saying the initial question was dumb? Why so?
The OP said they knew nothing about the area. Assuming they did a little Googling it wouldn't be hard to see Detroit listed as #3 in murders, #2 in violent crime overall , #2 in arson, #7 in robbery, #2 in aggravated assault but only #33 in property crime. Makes you wonder if the property crimes are low because people don't have anything worth stealing and/or they don't bother to report.

So if they see that on the Internet then come to this forum to get some local first hand opinion why do you see that as dumb?
This thread amuses me. I'm going to butt in and offer a candid outside opinion:

Yes. The question is colossally stupid. The OP could have googled that info. Or in the same amount of time the OP could have google mapped Detroit metro Hertz to Ann Arbor. Using the incredible powers of intuition, the following would be determined.
1) The Hertz is basically right on the airport grounds and airports by nature are safe.
2) After getting the car, one would need to drive like an 1/8 of a mile...still basically on the airport grounds...to get onto the expressway that takes you to Ann Arbor.
3) There is nearly zero opportunity for crime to occur between the airport, the car rental place and Ann Arbor...even if the area immediately surrounding the airport was a caricaturized version of a post apocalyptic hellhole...and it's quite obviously not.

Last edited by Chicago76; 01-04-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-04-2018, 01:32 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Very safe, and yes the initial question is incredibly stupid.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Assuming they did a little Googling...
...they would have had the answer to their question. Google has maps. Those maps show that Detroit and Ann Arbor are in two different directions from DTW.
Quote:
If you would rather, I can substitute "lazy" in for "dumb".

He isn't asking about safety in Detroit. He's asking how not to end up in Detroit (which he already "knows" to be unsafe) while going to Ann Arbor. There is no opinion here: he is looking for facts. Facts which are available via a one-minute-long Google search. Fact #1: Detroit Airport is NOT in Detroit and, depending on how you measure it, may actually be closer to Ann Arbor than it is to Detroit.

Mind you, we still answered his question, to the tune of two pages' worth. So he still got spoon-fed the info he couldn't be bothered to locate himself. That it came with a side of snark is an inevitability of the Internet. It's not my job to "sell" Detroit to him and if his intelligence (or lack thereof, depending on what HE actually feels about this rather than what you think he ought to feel) leads him to conclude that people in Detroit aren't nice because five people made fun of him online, then maybe I'm not that far away with "dumb".

Last edited by highlanderfil; 01-04-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Hesitating to even answer this, but just to drown out the default stereotypes that anything associated with Detroit (even an airport) should automatically be associated with danger, I will. Detroit metro airport and the surrounding areas are completely safe. Traveling from the airport to Ann Arbor, you won't run into any remotely dangerous areas. You won't be in anymore danger than you would be riding around any other airport in the country.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Mind you, we still answered his question, to the tune of two pages' worth.
The thing is, after the first 7 responses the OP thanked folks and from that point on NOBODY brought anything new to the table. It was all rehashing what others said in the first 7 responses, except to add some sarcasm and bite. So nobody should pat themselves on the back for repeating what somebody else already said.
Since there seems to be 20 responses per page the thing stopped being useful after less than a half page.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The thing is, after the first 7 responses the OP thanked folks and from that point on NOBODY brought anything new to the table. It was all rehashing what others said in the first 7 responses, except to add some sarcasm and bite. So nobody should pat themselves on the back for repeating what somebody else already said.
Since there seems to be 20 responses per page the thing stopped being useful after less than a half page.
Welcome to the Internet.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:34 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,043 times
As someone who grew up loving maps, I do wish that people who regularly rely on GPS would look at "the bigger picture" on a map of an area before they let the machine take over. It's so helpful to have an idea of where things are outside of looking at the tiny area shown on the GPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor