Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 8,459 times

Advertisements

This is my first post here. Any input is appreciated.

My husband works in Auburn Hills. I'm graduating from graduate school and hope to find a job in UM or other colleges around Ann Arbor. I'm looking for a nice place to settle down and raise family. My husband likes privacy, a house on a relatively bigger property in rural area or quiet suburb. I like nice a community, a good school district, closer to Ann Arbor where there's plenty of city amenities. We both like horse back riding, lake activities, ski, ballroom dancing, concerts and other activities. Any places came to mind? Also, it has to be relatively affordable because I might only do part time job when the little ones are young. It doesn't really have to be the mid point along the Auburn Hills and Ann Arbor line. If we have to choose, I'd rather he has less commute time than me.

After a lot of soul searching and struggling between my nesting instinct and career ambition, I finally decided to settle down in Michigan and raise family. Feeling thrilled! I still believe that it takes a neighborhood to bring up the children. I hope my children grow up in a warm, tightly knit community and a highly academicly rigrous public school district. Michigan is a wonderful place and I hope to contribute to the great community.

Last edited by michwife; 04-16-2008 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,149 times
We made a similar decision a couple years ago - got my Ph.D. out East and decided to prioritize family proximity over a better career move. I now teach at U of M, but I consider myself lucky, as very few recent Ph.D.s can show up at their doorstep and get a job (unless you have something like a Nobel or MacArthur tucked away in your closet). The good news is that there are several other large universities in the area - Wayne State, Eastern, Oakland, U of M-Flint, and U of M-Dearborn.

It sounds like the best rural-ish area for you, depending on where you land, might be the triangle formed by US-23, I-75, and I-676/96. The most convenient school would actually be Oakland as it's next door to Auburn Hills followed by U of M-Flint. Then you could live near Rochester and get both rural and a nearby quaint downtown. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:22 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
You could be describing several areas -- Milan, Saline, Dundee, Milford, lots of Ypsilanti, Southfield. If you live in Ann Arbor proper you risk the risk of your children growing up to wear socks with their sandals.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 PM

189 posts, read 704,707 times
Try Saline, an 15 minute drive south of Ann Arbor. Great schools, Check out these websites:
City of Saline, Michigan - One of America's Best Places to Live, Work and Play
SAS|Home

Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion11 View Post
Try Saline, an 15 minute drive south of Ann Arbor.
How does this help her husband working out of Auburn Hills? She specifically said she wanted a shorter commute for her husband more than anything.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 PM

314 posts, read 1,277,546 times
How about Dexter? great small town, easy to Ann Arbor and great apple cider in the fall!

good schools too.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:59 AM

189 posts, read 704,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
How does this help her husband working out of Auburn Hills? She specifically said she wanted a shorter commute for her husband more than anything.
Someone mentained Saline, so I was just trying to help.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,459 times
Thank you folks! My husband and I are going to look around the area in summer. He said there are a lot of places we could look, including Novi, commerce township, highland and else. In a time of uncertainty, we also need to think about wether we are going to buy a house or rent. Hope the best of you!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,154 times
NE of Dexter along North Territorial (west of US-23) has nice houses, not far from US-23 and Ann Arbor and is somewhat rural, so houses are priced right. Since you mentioned your husband likes privacy, that might be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor