Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,075 times

Advertisements

you couldn't do shutters on the top windows, where would you put them? on the bottom they will look okay. if you can ever afford it, put a third window over the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,797 times
Definte Cape Cod.

It is NOT a Mansard style roof. The Mansard roofs were popular in the Victorian era and are commonly seen on large Victorians built between 1860 and 1890. Mansards have curved roofs that curve intowards the home and then have dormered windows that usually open inward. The top of a Mansard style roof either can be flat or have a cupola.

It certainly is NOT a Dutch Colonial either. DC have gambrel roofs and usually have side 3 season porch. The have a covered entrance with a few stairs up to the front door as well. Some might call it a "stoop" with columns on either side that holds up the roof covering the front entrance "stoop".

The "Dog House" dormers on the picured cape cod were fashionable in cape cods during the 50's to add more light and room in the upstairs bedrooms. Cape Cods can be built from any type of materials. A cape cod house is a style and has nothing to do with the materials used to construct them.

This is a Cape Cod with Dog House Dormers..

http://architecture.about.com/librar...ss-mansard.htm

Mansard images

http://www.google.com/images?q=mansa...ed=0CCoQsAQwAA

Dutch colonial images.

http://www.google.com/images?q=dutch...ed=0CCQQsAQwAA

Cape Cod images

http://www.google.com/images?q=cape+...ed=0CCMQsAQwAA

Last edited by brien51; 11-17-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Little Dolphin is right.

It's not a Cape Cod house. Cape Cod's have a very distinct gable roof - it's also very symmetrical in its placement of windows around its door frame. The roof in the OP's post is a Gambrel and is very distinct within the Dutch Colonial/Dutch Colonial Revival style, not Cape Cod.
I only see one picture and the style is Cape Cod. It's roof is a steep pitched slanted style with Dog House dormers. Dutch Colonials have Gambrel roofs which from what I can see, doesn't exist here. Dutch Colonials never have dog house dormers but windows flush with the house siding.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dal2aus View Post
I'm considering purchasing a house, but it has a unique look. Please help me identify what style of architecture this is. I'm thinking Colonial, but I'm barely a novice. Also, I'm not a fan of the monochrome look, so any ideas on how to dress up the exterior would be greatly appreciated.

You have a beautiful facade, even the entrance is nice. You could add a front entrance type porch with columns on either side flanked by deacon's benches, but I wouldn't bother.

I would merely use shurbs and landscaping to dress up the curb appeal. I hate painted bricks so I might consider sandblasting them to get the "old style" brick look back and replace that front windows with a much nicer bow windows with no muntin panels at all. If it faces south I would load it up with a few plants and use stonework or crushed stone around the plants to capture the solar gain. If they are north facing windows, I would use plants that need less sunlight and probabaly recess some overhead spots for plant lights. This way you can bring the outside into the house in a very subtle but distinguished manner.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Definte Cape Cod.

It is NOT a Mansard style roof.

Why do you protest SO much? The OP confirmed it was a mansard roof.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:56 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Whatever - "Mansard" roofs were added to a lot of homes in the late 60s and early 70s. So it could be a hybrid.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Why do you protest SO much? The OP confirmed it was a mansard roof.
I am not protesting. I am merely tellling you all it is NOT a Mansard style roof. I provided link for a Mansard style roof. Did you bother to look at them? It is definitely not a Mansard style roof. What's correct is correct and to call this a Mansard style roof is merely either ignorant or wrong. No big deal, but if you want to think it is a Mansard style roof, I really don't care. The picture of this home is a Cape Cod Style. I also provided a link for that as well. These are Mansard style roofs and they look nothing like the photo. The OP is wrong..

http://www.google.com/images?q=mansa...ed=0CCoQsAQwAA

Below is a link showing you different style roofs:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

Old 11-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Whatever - "Mansard" roofs were added to a lot of homes in the late 60s and early 70s. So it could be a hybrid.

This may be true but this particular house in the OP is NOT a Mansard roof. It is a Cape Cod style roof and home. The straight steep pitch of the roof and the design of the home says Cape Cod, not colonial, not Gambrel, not Victorian, but Cape Cod. The OP wanted to know the truth and not be led astray. It is a Cape Cod. The Dog House dormers are a dead giveaway.

http://www.google.com/images?q=cape+cod+style+homes&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7RNTN_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=QkrkTKGVMcO78gackbmkDQ&sa=X&oi=im age_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQsAQwAA

I haven't seen a side view of the house buty it appears from the picture that it is a traditional style cape roof line that comes to a peak from a steep pitch of about 15"-17" per foot.

The pitch of the roof in North America is usually called the slope, it is defined as a ratio of the height over the run, most commonly in inches. The run is usually stated as 12 inches. So a slope of 1" in 12" is a low pitch and a slope of 18" in 12" is a steep pitch.

Last edited by brien51; 11-19-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 04:43 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
This may be true but this particular house in the OP is NOT a Mansard roof. It is a Cape Cod style roof and home. The straight steep pitch of the roof and the design of the home says Cape Cod, not colonial, not Gambrel, not Victorian, but Cape Cod. The OP wanted to know the truth and not be led astray. It is a Cape Cod. The Dog House dormers are a dead giveaway.

http://www.google.com/images?q=cape+cod+style+homes&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7RNTN_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=QkrkTKGVMcO78gackbmkDQ&sa=X&oi=im age_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCMQsAQwAA

I haven't seen a side view of the house buty it appears from the picture that it is a traditional style cape roof line that comes to a peak from a steep pitch of about 15"-17" per foot.

The pitch of the roof in North America is usually called the slope, it is defined as a ratio of the height over the run, most commonly in inches. The run is usually stated as 12 inches. So a slope of 1" in 12" is a low pitch and a slope of 18" in 12" is a steep pitch.
You are high! If the OP's picture of the house has a gable roof as illustrated in your section drawing then the house is about 2'-0" deep from front to back!

I can discern a very steep slope on at least three sides (obviously can't see the rear) and it has to have a very low slope hip roof (Its possible that it has low parapets and a simpler, flat deck roof) above the steep lower roof: A Mansard Roof! And no those aren't dog house dormers (wrong roof shape) and yes I am an architect.

Last edited by T. Damon; 11-19-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum