Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Unfortuantely, it has a little bit too much facade orinetation and too many elements "representative" or "reminscent" of true architecture. Still it is an attempt in the right direction.
I call that "Early Disneyland".

Especially in SoCal. Since childhood I've felt a lot of architecture in SoCal was dreampt up by some Imagineer who worked in the park too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 05:01 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
But, that's not an example of "modern architecture", it's regurgitated old architecture. Yes, done very well, as you noted.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the semantics of this thread. As an art and architecture history geek, Modernism actually is a style. Outstanding classic examples would include work by Mies van der Rohe, Philip Johnson, Eliel Saarinen.

There are architects today, still working in the same "less is more", "form follows function" vein. Just pick up a copy of Dwell magazine for some examples.

Young architects such as Bjark Ingels are doing some pretty amazing things. You might want to bookmark archdaily.com if you are interested in this sort of thing. Here's a great starting point:
Icon: 20 essential young architects | ArchDaily

I think the confusion, for me, is that most people seem to be discussing "Contemporary Trends in Residential Housing" NOT "Modern Architecture".
That's why I mentioned Seaside, as I think that was the original intention of this thread. True modern architecture--that isn't commercial or institutional--is so rare, I doubt a thread about that would have many replies.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:58 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
That's why I mentioned Seaside, as I think that was the original intention of this thread. True modern architecture--that isn't commercial or institutional--is so rare, I doubt a thread about that would have many replies.
Ohhh gotcha!

I know what you mean. The concept of hiring an architect and building a one-of-a-kind masterpiece as a residence seems to have fallen out of favor.

What's reallllllly sad? I live in a town known for outstanding Modern Architecture. We have a few Harry Weese houses and a rare Saarinen (soon to be open to the public).

The depressing part? Current residents appear to by buying "1000 Floor Plans over 5000 Sq Ft", and then paying a contractor to build said house. I like to quip that if they just cut, say 500 sq ft, off, they could afford to hire a real architect and get something both unique and (hopefully) practical.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:16 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I call that "Early Disneyland".

Especially in SoCal. Since childhood I've felt a lot of architecture in SoCal was dreampt up by some Imagineer who worked in the park too long.
Haha, Disneyland is how I described a lot of the post-2000 construction I've seen over here to a family member today. Very controlled within each neighborhood, and every house is similar to identical to each other.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
But, that's not an example of "modern architecture", it's regurgitated old architecture. Yes, done very well, as you noted.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the semantics of this thread. As an art and architecture history geek, Modernism actually is a style. Outstanding classic examples would include work by Mies van der Rohe, Philip Johnson, Eliel Saarinen.

There are architects today, still working in the same "less is more", "form follows function" vein. Just pick up a copy of Dwell magazine for some examples.

Young architects such as Bjark Ingels are doing some pretty amazing things. You might want to bookmark archdaily.com if you are interested in this sort of thing. Here's a great starting point:
Icon: 20 essential young architects | ArchDaily

I think the confusion, for me, is that most people seem to be discussing "Contemporary Trends in Residential Housing" NOT "Modern Architecture".
I have to agree with you. Modernism is a style that only seems to be found in residential architecture today in "one-off" very high-end houses with the possible exception of some of the new pre-fab houses. The Prospect neighborhood I mentioned earlier is one of the only "developments" I've seen with a basis in modernism (Dwell called it the coolest neighborhood in America) but it is nowhere near pure Mies-style. My favorite architect who is still working in that style is Richard Meier but you'll need a few million for one of his houses.Essential World Architecture Images- Richard Meier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum