Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Something I usually have to remind people that say this sort of thing about houses/cars, whatever. People that have this sort of money usually don't have to choose either/or. It's not this OR that, it's usually both. They don't have one big house instead of a few smaller houses scattered around. They often HAVE smaller places scattered around as well as the one big house.

It's only us poor people that think that we'd have to take several lesser places instead of one big one...
Yup.
How many trophies does a person need? A big house is as much a signal of success to others as it is a home. There's a big difference between a house being large enough for a family's solid comfort and one that is so large that it becomes a place where all the family members can get away from each other all the time.
Too much house, I think, tends to destroy family closeness, not enhance it. There needs to be a good balance in size where everyone has some private room and space, but at the same time, small enough that natural family friction has to be settled in the ways families have always done.
No family is ever completely lovey-dovey all the time. Allowing member who are in contention for the moment to disappear into their own part of the house only allows a lot of minor stuff to fester.

I live in an area where there are a lot of huge trophy cabins. Most of the owners don't have any hired staff who cleans and maintains them, outside of some roof shoveling in the winters when there is heavy snowfall.
I've often wondered how much fun it is for them; Mom gets to clean the family home all week and then gets to clean the trophy cabin all weekend. The family all congregates around the cabin's TV and ends up doing what it does at home. I have no quarrel with that, but I can't help but wonder what the point is for the bigness.

My own family has a cabin. It's on our working ranch, and some of us use it as a place to live in when there's work to be done there, while others of us use it recreationally. It's just large enough to stuff 6 to 8 people in it if need be, but we kept it simple and very low maintenance; anyone can clean it stem to stern in an hour or less. For 2-4 people, it's roomy.
It's comfortable but not impressive, but it doesn't need to be impressive- all one has to do is step outside and nature is impressive enough for us, and we spend most of our time there outdoors.

For all of us, it's where we unplug. There's no TV, but we all take books up, new music CD's, and a new pack of cards every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Hmm... classic proportions, well thought out design, built out of solid concrete with the latest technological innovations...

Definitely NOT a mcmansion!

People need to realize size itself is not an indicator of bad mcmansion-ish architecture. It's ok, really... it's kinda like a 21st century Biltmore...
Where did the rest of the windows go?

Perhaps the majority of the windows did not like living in the Ozarks and got up and left. They certinaly went somewhere.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:43 AM

5 posts, read 8,249 times
The house in your photo was built by Pensmore, but that's not the one in the Ozarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum