Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,381 times

Advertisements

Montreal Gallery

Barcelona Gallery

Cologne Gallery

Frankfurt Gallery

Stockholm Gallery

Paris Gallery

Munich Gallery

Brussels Gallery

Moscow Gallery

In contrast, the NYC metro and San Francisco's BART look like something from the third world (the only exception being Grand Central station). Very basic and utilitarian in appearance. Why do the trains and stations all seem to be painted in the same dull, oppressive industrial gray? Or perhaps not even painted. The exterior of the trains look like they're just bare metal with just a clearcoat to protect from rust. The type of aesthetic you would commonly find in the Soviet era under Stalin.

Compared to the brightly colored trains and stations commonly found in European cities. A subway is underground so they can feel like dark, foreboding places to be especially at night. So to counteract that darkness it makes sense to paint the trains and stations in bright, vivid, cheery colors. The use of beautiful, uplifting architecture is another way to do it.

Subway stations in NY have the look and feel of a dark underground cave or dungeon. Those bare, harsh fluorescent light bulbs haning from the ceiling certainly don't help. Barf. This is not how you uplift and inspire the human spirit. But it might be a good way to repress it.

http://www.benoa.net/usa/new-york/im...%20York-63.jpg

...and the award for ugliest subway trains in the world goes to...

Is it called the BART...or the BARF?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 04:31 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,039 times
From your list I have riden in Moscow, Paris, Montreal, Cologne, and Munich...I frequent the Chicago metro which has the inviting odor of urine to go with its industrial/dark cavern appearance. I remember when I first went into the Moscow subway I was amazed, it was so beautiful. It was nothing like I was expecting...tiled walls, statues, very artistic. Moscow could do some work on the exterior of their buildings, but the guts of their metro was beautiful.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
As it is a relatively new system, the LA subway is very attractive (not as attractive as most of those Euro / Canadian ones but one of the best in the US)

Images from Wikipedia: Hollywood / Vine (those are film reels):

Also from wikipedia, Hollywood and Highland:

Here is a link to the North Hollywood station: Redirect Notice

Old 04-12-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
From your list I have riden in Moscow, Paris, Montreal, Cologne, and Munich...I frequent the Chicago metro which has the inviting odor of urine to go with its industrial/dark cavern appearance.
Just remember to breathe only through the mouth and take shallow breaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I remember when I first went into the Moscow subway I was amazed, it was so beautiful. It was nothing like I was expecting...tiled walls, statues, very artistic. Moscow could do some work on the exterior of their buildings, but the guts of their metro was beautiful.

I hear Moscow is surprisingly beautiful. Lots of great architecture throughout the city. I hope to visit one day.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
As it is a relatively new system, the LA subway is very attractive (not as attractive as most of those Euro / Canadian ones but one of the best in the US)

The Hollywood station is very cool. The LA metro has a number of interesting station designs. Many are built with some kind of architectural theme for both underground and above ground stations. I would say probably the best looking system in the US.

Riding the LA Metro :: arcspace.com (http://www.arcspace.com/kk_ann/la_metro/la_metro.html - broken link)

Chinatown station for example,

Redondo Beach station,

Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The type of aesthetic you would commonly find in the Soviet era under Stalin.
Eh? The Moscow subway was built under Stalin and looks very nice as you showed.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
The MIT stop in the Boston subway has an interactive sculpture. Press the levers and get interesting noises.

Not beautiful to look at, but interesting and fun.

Kendall Band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times

Baltimore's subway stations are dramatically boring.

This is Charles Center station, the main stop downtown. It was supposed to be the hub for many different subway lines, but only one was ever built. It is grossly underutilized and is quite often very quiet.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eh? The Moscow subway was built under Stalin and looks very nice as you showed.

I meant to say typical Soviet style architecture for the non-elite. Stalin had a taste for western style classical architecture, but of course only elites like him could afford such tastes. The masses were more typically housed in something like this: (Though they did enjoy the great looking subways he built).

Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post

Baltimore's subway stations are dramatically boring.

This is Charles Center station, the main stop downtown. It was supposed to be the hub for many different subway lines, but only one was ever built. It is grossly underutilized and is quite often very quiet.

Boy, that looks exactly like the BART stations they have in the SF bay area. Which all look exactly alike. I bet many US cities use the same builder and supplier for their metro systems. So they all look like they came from the same cookie cutter assembly line and probably did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum