Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 15,011,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

Well I was a ON TOPIC ...

Oops. Sorry if I was off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:59 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,818,285 times
It was failing to rally around the piano. Nearly every home had one back then. With radio and tv people just sat and looked at each other. Now with IPODs families dont look at each other or talk at dinner. Do families still eat dinner?

A lot of us sailors still have pianos still. We also meet more often to discuss the weather. A little more important then to land based homeowners.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 21,646 times
There are countless Craftsman houses with front porches in Denver. I'm in the process of designing a major addition on one of them for my son. I've spent many hours photographing them at different times of the day, on weekdays and on weekends and I am careful to not disturb someone on their porch. But I've never seen anyone using their porch.

It does seem like a cultural shift but I can't imagine it had anything to do with FLW's houses.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:06 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,460,036 times
It has nothing to do with FLW.

Porches aren't always ubiquitous in American architecture. They weren't necessarily common in New England or New York before the Civil War, just to use as an example.

Overlapping with FLW's period was the emergence of the Colonial Revival styles, which rarely had front porches, usually favoring side porches if there was one.

The rise of cars made streets noisier, so people were less inclined to spend time on front porches and started to retreat to back yards.

With the emergence of air conditioning the demand for porches declined even more.

Many people have decks and those are now more popular. It doubtlessly has to do with a sense of privacy and also a convenient location just off the kitchen.

Nothing to do with FLW at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV2 View Post
There are countless Craftsman houses with front porches in Denver. I'm in the process of designing a major addition on one of them for my son. I've spent many hours photographing them at different times of the day, on weekdays and on weekends and I am careful to not disturb someone on their porch. But I've never seen anyone using their porch.

It does seem like a cultural shift but I can't imagine it had anything to do with FLW's houses.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:39 PM

35,281 posts, read 57,463,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post

Porches aren't always ubiquitous in American architecture. They weren't necessarily common in New England or New York before the Civil War, just to use as an example.

Overlapping with FLW's period was the emergence of the Colonial Revival styles, which rarely had front porches, usually favoring side porches if there was one.

The rise of cars made streets noisier, so people were less inclined to spend time on front porches and started to retreat to back yards.

With the emergence of air conditioning the demand for porches declined even more.

Many people have decks and those are now more popular. It doubtlessly has to do with a sense of privacy and also a convenient location just off the kitchen.

You are right. Around the turn of the 20th Century there was a period called Colonial Revival which used New England architecture for home designs. Most homes of this style do not have front porches. That had nothing to do with Frank Lloyd Wright. The advent of the car had more to do with the elimination of the front porch as a design feature. Cars were noisy and people did not want to listen to them when they passed by. Homes started having side and rear porches instead and eventually decks became popular. Again, nothing to do with FLW. Jay

Old 06-24-2015, 04:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,966,634 times
The side porch (piazza) is an iconic feature of Charleston's 18th and 19th century homes. FLW certainly had no architectural influence on that period.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 AM

24,165 posts, read 32,742,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post

Colonial Revival homes were popular in the 1920s through 1960s.Their peak - at least in my area seems to be directly before and following WWII - 1939-1952. I'm interested in the social psychology of home styles. The Neo - Colonial affirmed the stability of America and traditional values. At times of war, and just after WWII, when women returned to the home and hearth after working to aid in the war effort. That's a bit of an oversimplification, but that seems to account for their popularity.

They have a rather austere front and a formal interior. I think they are pretty, but not welcoming.

I live in a neighborhood of mixed 20s and teens built homes. The predominant style is the Craftsman. My own house while not a classic textbook Craftsman, has many craftsman elements. Along with all of the other 1920s era Craftsmanesque homes - we have a front screened in porch that wraps around to one side of the house.

In fact every craftsman house in my area has a deep, low slung front porch.

I am not sure of what the OP is talking about.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:05 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,041,071 times
I don't know all that much about FLW, but I do know in my currently neighborhood, all of the houses have front porches. They were all build in the mid/late 2000s. Many times throughout the week, we are sitting on our front porches enjoying the evening.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:11 AM

905 posts, read 797,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Carson View Post
I hate FLW. He ruined centuries of development of the architectural art-form, turning an enduring focus on permenance into boxes devoid of character or beauty. How can a city persue a philosophy of blending into nature when an urban center drives nature out?
And of course commercial interests LOVED it because they could spend way less without all the attention to detail or quality materials. I suppose it was inevitable as population densities grew. And once the barn-door of cheapness was opened, there was and is little economic motivation to reverse the mode. How freakishly expensive would building a Richardson-Romanesque be now?
I guess I long for the character-dense masterpieces that feel like they will stand forever. Even churches have turned into block-gobbling exercises in bland humbleness, even in the business-park I (unfortunately) work in.
OK, I gotta stop my rant now.
This is woefully inaccurate. His homes did not skimp on quality materials, are mostly full of character and many are quite beautiful. His patrons tended to be the kinds of people who would not pay for cheap homes lacking craftsmanship, have you ever been in one of his homes surrounded by the stained glass and amazing woodwork? Lack of ostentatiousness does not necessarily equal cheapness, the "barn-door of cheapness" certainly did open but it had nothing to do with FLW and did not start until he was a marginal players late in his career. Your misplaced rant would be better directed at those who popularized the mid-century ranch home, the Internationalists, or even Mies Van der Rohe.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:45 PM

35,281 posts, read 57,463,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
This is woefully inaccurate. His homes did not skimp on quality materials, are mostly full of character and many are quite beautiful. His patrons tended to be the kinds of people who would not pay for cheap homes lacking craftsmanship, have you ever been in one of his homes surrounded by the stained glass and amazing woodwork? Lack of ostentatiousness does not necessarily equal cheapness, the "barn-door of cheapness" certainly did open but it had nothing to do with FLW and did not start until he was a marginal players late in his career. Your misplaced rant would be better directed at those who popularized the mid-century ranch home, the Internationalists, or even Mies Van der Rohe.
I do not think that the OP meant that Frank Lloyd Wright were not necessarily well engineered. He tended to place more importance on aesthetics and not practicality. His wonderful Falling Water was doing just that, falling. It had to be reinforced and rebuilt. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum