Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
nice looking house but also very isolated and lonely. I'd be bored to tears living in a place like this. the physical isolation of the house, surrounded by a huge lawn and other land makes it look not very welcoming, and a bit creepy. but it doesn't have to be inviting or welcoming since there's probably no neighbors around for miles or anyone else to look at it. its the type of house that screams at you 'get off my lawn!'
I agree the lot looks a bit big. But isn't there a house close next to it in the background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:01 PM

21,907 posts, read 25,231,561 times
There's a *ehem* house right next to it in the picture.

715 West Washington Avenue, South Bend, Indiana - Google Maps

Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,960,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I agree the lot looks a bit big. But isn't there a house close next to it in the background?
I thought it was part of the house in the foreground, maybe a detached garage or guest house. It appears too close to be a separate house. People who can afford these large properties usually don't want to be so close to their neighbor.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,164,547 times
Quote:
nice looking house but also very isolated and lonely. I'd be bored to tears living in a place like this. the physical isolation of the house, surrounded by a huge lawn and other land makes it look not very welcoming, and a bit creepy. but it doesn't have to be inviting or welcoming since there's probably no neighbors around for miles or anyone else to look at it. its the type of house that screams at you 'get off my lawn!'

Its located in South Bend (a city) on a busy street. Do you not see the house next door? Some do not like the aesthetics of a FLW home, that's fine but this house is far from isolation in terms of location.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,498,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
There's a *ehem* house right next to it in the picture.

715 West Washington Avenue, South Bend, Indiana - Google Maps
More than one!!

[that neighborhood looks nice!]

Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I thought it was part of the house in the foreground, maybe a detached garage or guest house. It appears too close to be a separate house. People who can afford these large properties usually don't want to be so close to their neighbor.
Ummm...this house was built in 1906. Different era. The homes located on this street are all historical.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:43 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,960,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Its located in South Bend (a city) on a busy street. Do you not see the house next door? Some do not like the aesthetics of a FLW home, that's fine but this house is far from isolation in terms of location.

busy street? I wouldn't call it busy. it looks like a typical suburban neighborhood though the foliage is much denser than usual, where you see lots of single-family homes but no people on the streets. the streets are desolate instead of busy. I'm also struck by the contrast of the two houses. they clash visually and architecturally, even the colors clash. one is beige with a red roof, the other a drab shade of gray. other than being in the same neighborhood they have nothing in common. they look quite odd standing so close to each other.

single-family homes were originally designed to exist by themselves in 'splendid isolation', a romantic ideal derived from the old southern plantation manor or the rugged lone 'cabin in the woods' on the western frontier ideal. forms that have mutated over the years into the modern autocentric suburb resulting in a bunch of houses that look odd clustered together.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
busy street? I wouldn't call it busy. it looks like a typical suburban neighborhood though the foliage is much denser than usual, where you see lots of single-family homes but no people on the streets. the streets are desolate instead of busy. I'm also struck by the contrast of the two houses. they clash visually and architecturally, even the colors clash. one is beige with a red roof, the other a drab shade of gray. other than being in the same neighborhood they have nothing in common. they look quite odd standing so close to each other.

single-family homes were originally designed to exist by themselves in 'splendid isolation', a romantic ideal derived from the old southern plantation manor or the rugged lone 'cabin in the woods' on the western frontier ideal. forms that have mutated over the years into the modern autocentric suburb resulting in a bunch of houses that look odd clustered together.
Well since I actually live close to this area, I can tell you it is a busy area. Its a block from downtown South Bend. Its an area that has a wide range of architectural styles. Pretty hard to tell from one screen shot from google earth. Its a beautiful street. Homes that are all the same and painted the same would be boring. Everyone has their own taste I suppose. Personally I think this is thread is a bit ridiculous. Its quite obvious that some do not know FLW's work or what his ideas were. If someone doesn't like his style or building methods than that is a valid point, FLW was not perfect however to accuse him of ruining american life over a porch is hilarious. As far as the single-family homes being designed to exist by themselves in splendid isolation is false. There are plenty of homes built within a city on small lots. The example I have provided pretty much shows that.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:21 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,685,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I disagree.

[the garage door was the beginning of "suburbia isolation"]

Or more accurately, moving the garage door from the alley to the street was the beginning of "suburban isolation"!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Or more accurately, moving the garage door from the alley to the street was the beginning of "suburban isolation"!
A lot of old northeastern neighborhoods never had alley facing garages. Or just don't have alleys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum