Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,250 times

Advertisements

I went to a client's house and they asked me if I could feel the warm spots on the floor just to make sure they were not crazy. So I walked on the pergo floor and they were right! You can feel a temperature change as you walked from one spot to another. He said his entire bedroom florr was like that. I looked at the wall and ceiling and notice cracks so I told him maybe something wrong with the foundation. What could be the cause? The gas drilling or fracturing they are doing? Sewage problems? Anyone out there have any idea??? I'm curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Sewer lines? Other in slab utilities...

Cast iron can transmitt heat pretty effectively and radiate it out pretty slowly, that'd be my first guess. Even heat from dumping water from clothes washer, dishwasher cycle or long hot shower could warm up pipe enough to feel through floor...

Sometimes the return line from an A/C compressor might have been run in the slab, those can be very warm...

Could also be issue with electrical lines in / under slab, but I would think that any long term drain would also be noted by other unsafe / expensive side effects.

I really doubt any sort of drilling / mining is going to have effects on normal surface slab.

Any chance there is an issue with a thermal spring? Old Faithful nearby? How about lava?

(really remote chance but would make for a good Steven King horror story...)

Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Cast iron can transmitt heat pretty effectively and radiate it out pretty slowly, that'd be my first guess. Even heat from dumping water from clothes washer, dishwasher cycle or long hot shower could warm up pipe enough to feel through floor...

Sometimes the return line from an A/C compressor might have been run in the slab, those can be very warm...

Could also be issue with electrical lines in / under slab, but I would think that any long term drain would also be noted by other unsafe / expensive side effects.

I really doubt any sort of drilling / mining is going to have effects on normal surface slab.

Any chance there is an issue with a thermal spring? Old Faithful nearby? How about lava?

(really remote chance but would make for a good Steven King horror story...)
I guess he is going to find out. It a newer home (early 90s) so no cast iron. My fear is that a sewer line may be involved...let's hope not. He's wanting to sell it but I see a lot of preventive maintenance was not done throughout the years

Old 10-11-2012, 04:04 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Is it a concrete slab floor or is there a crawl space underneath? Or a basement?

Old 10-16-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Is it a concrete slab floor or is there a crawl space underneath? Or a basement?
Sorry, got very busy this week. It's slab no crawl space or basement.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 AM

266 posts, read 449,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I went to a client's house and they asked me if I could feel the warm spots on the floor just to make sure they were not crazy. So I walked on the pergo floor and they were right! You can feel a temperature change as you walked from one spot to another. He said his entire bedroom florr was like that. I looked at the wall and ceiling and notice cracks so I told him maybe something wrong with the foundation. What could be the cause? The gas drilling or fracturing they are doing? Sewage problems? Anyone out there have any idea??? I'm curious.
I do not believe the problem to be a heat rise phenomena caused by failing electric or heated discharge. Such would have presented systemic issues elsewhere telling of a problem.

Instead, I believe its a heat loss issue making different parts of the floor colder thusly presenting a state of heat in other areas.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:26 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
I came home to a hot spot, pergo-type kitchen floor, turns out the hot water line had ruptured. I suspect this has happened and it is migrating along a pipe line under the slab, heating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum