Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I'd have to say that I only like buildings that are contemporary TO THEIR ERA. A real Tuscan villa by Palladio is beautiful. One built last week is not. Same with Victorian, Craftsman, Gothic, Colonial and on and on. Nothing looks worse to me than a new house built "in the style" of fill-in-the-blank. They look like cheap imitations no matter how much they cost. If you want a Victorian house, buy a Victorian house.

I can't stand buildings built in the last 90 or so years that aren't modern. It's like driving a replica of a Model T. It's ok for Disneyland but that's about it.
'Modern' design has not much changed since the era of the model T, and Palladio was building with 1000 year old design so i'm not sure what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I looked at the photos in the OP and found them very ugly and cold, but then I am not and never have been a fan of "modern" architecture. I want my house to be a warm and welcoming place, and to me, modern styles are neither warm nor welcoming.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Are you going to answer the question? I didn't imply anything about fitting in. Fitting in does not 'make a statement', not fitting in does. I am curious to hear T. Damon's reply.
LOL

Of course fitting in is a statement. Why not use bold?

I've always really liked modern buildings in the middle of a cookie-cutter "historic neighborhood." The current Xanadu gallery in San Francisco, a building that ruined America with the turn of a porch, is a great example. It's a shame when an actual historical building does get torn down, however. Generally, that's not the case. Historic Districts mostly are just overbearing HOAs with inflated egos regulating paint colors and driving hippies nuts since they won't let them put solar panels up.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I recently found the common denominator behind buildings that I am attracted to: they all are very modern and minimalistic. I think this style is very intriguing and offers a very sharp contrast to traditional/historic buildings. To give you an idea of the specific look I am attracted to:

modern contemporary architecture design - Zeospot.com : Zeospot.com

Google Image Result for http://cdn.freshome.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/SAOTA-modern-architecture-1.jpg

Google Image Result for http://static3.depositphotos.com/1001925/142/i/950/depositphotos_1428487-Illuminated-modern-building-skyscraper.jpg

I was wondering what you guys think of the new trend and what city encommpases it the best.
I've only recently fallen in love with modern design after years of not appreciating or understanding its beauty. I love the simplicity and lack of fussy decoration in modern. For years all our homes were colonial architecture with heavy mouldings, lots of accessories, dark massive furniture. I'm SO over colonial style and am embracing my new mid century modern home, both in architecture and decor.

I have no idea what city has the most modern architecture but would guess California is the state with the most examples. Modern is very expensive to build relative to other architectural styles.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:02 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
I'm not sure if these are supposed to be houses or office buildings?
with all that glass they look like they could be greenhouses. or storefronts
where people pass by to window shop. also makes for some excellent stalker bait.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I'm not sure if these are supposed to be houses or office buildings?
with all that glass they look like they could be greenhouses. or storefronts
where people pass by to window shop. also makes for some excellent stalker bait.
It's what curtains are for.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
Quote:
'Modern' design has not much changed since the era of the model T, and Palladio was building with 1000 year old design so i'm not sure what you mean.
Maybe Palladio wasn't the perfect example since it was neo-classic. I should have said a buildings shouldn't look like greek temples unless they were built in ancient Greece or like Tuscan villas unless they are villas in Tuscany. And, yes, modern design hasn't changed much since the 20's but residential architecture, especially, seems stuck in the 19th century or earlier. Architecture was revolutionized almost 100 years ago by people like Frank Lloyd Wright, Corbusier, Mies Van der Rohe, Gropius, Neutra, etc. but you'd think they never existed when you look at most new houses. They are just cheap reproductions of historical styles. I mean look at the Barcelona Pavilion. It was built in 1929!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...na%2C_2010.jpg

Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times

http://www.chicagosavvytours.com/photos/Louis-Sullivan/Louis%20Sullivan%20Carson%20Pirie%20Scott%20Chicag o.jpg[/IMG]

the decline of man

just let the images soak in

Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
I certainly see a change, but not a decline.

Did you know that "Gothic" to describe architecture, was originally a negative term? Wiki explains it better than I can:
Quote:
The term originated as a pejorative description: it came to be used as early as the 1530s by Giorgio Vasari to describe culture that was considered rude and barbaric.[1] At the time in which Vasari was writing, Italy had experienced a century of building in the Classical architectural vocabulary revived in the Renaissance and seen as the finite evidence of a new Golden Age of learning and refinement.
Many of the buildings in your examples have Gothic influences, HiFi...

Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:

the decline of man

just let the images soak in
I don't see it, it's just different. Not everyone likes fussy buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum