Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:23 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times

Advertisements

Getting back to basics on this one...I got the Punch Super Home Suite and don't have the foggiest notion where to start. Obviously too advanced for my pea brain.

We have an 1870's house. All I want to do is be able to import pictures of the current house and maybe add a porch or arbor or change the windows, paint, etc. I'd also like to import pix of the yard and have the ability to put up a fence, the plantings and growth, etc. I don't want to "design" anything, I just want to get some ideas of what it would look like if I changed it up a little.

I found this one...and I tried the demo, it isn't too hard (I don't think)

Suite of Landscape Remodeling Interior Design Software-Imagine Pro (http://www.showoff.com/3buy.html - broken link)

I need something basically very simple. I had something at one time, don't know what, and my sister managed to lose it in 48 hours. Starting over again....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 02:34 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Getting back to basics on this one...I got the Punch Super Home Suite and don't have the foggiest notion where to start. Obviously too advanced for my pea brain.

We have an 1870's house. All I want to do is be able to import pictures of the current house and maybe add a porch or arbor or change the windows, paint, etc. I'd also like to import pix of the yard and have the ability to put up a fence, the plantings and growth, etc. I don't want to "design" anything, I just want to get some ideas of what it would look like if I changed it up a little.

I found this one...and I tried the demo, it isn't too hard (I don't think)

Suite of Landscape Remodeling Interior Design Software-Imagine Pro (http://www.showoff.com/3buy.html - broken link)

I need something basically very simple. I had something at one time, don't know what, and my sister managed to lose it in 48 hours. Starting over again....
Look for Google Sketchup. It is a very easy program to learn, and if all of this is for personal use the program is free.

Quite a few of us Architectural types are using this program for quick massing models, and for quick models to show clients how a room will look.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:31 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
AutoCAD for the average homeowner is completely unneccessary. It's complicated, expensive, and the 3D modeling most want to see isn't there. Great for proffessionals, but if you're just trying to make landscape decisions or decide on cabinetry colors with no risk digital modeling, go with programs other than AutoCAD. Urban areas where cabinetry is sold often have this service software in their stores for those who need visuals to make decisions.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
AutoCAD for the average homeowner is completely unneccessary. It's complicated, expensive, and the 3D modeling most want to see isn't there. Great for proffessionals, but if you're just trying to make landscape decisions or decide on cabinetry colors with no risk digital modeling, go with programs other than AutoCAD. Urban areas where cabinetry is sold often have this service software in their stores for those who need visuals to make decisions.
Autocad Architecture does handle the 3d modeling or BIM (building information modeling) natively. We use it in our office for the design work for our custom homes. It is WAY overkill for a homeowner to use for deciding on a simple remodel. It is a very difficult program to learn (had to take college courses and read several books to get a hang of it) and it is EXTREMLY expensive for a homeowner to buy just to decide on a simple remodel (4500.00) for a single seat.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:13 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
So is there anything easy with an import feature on it you are aware of? For the Below Average Computer Mentality Joe? Sketch up doesn't allow import unless I'm missing something...

Old 03-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
So is there anything easy with an import feature on it you are aware of? For the Below Average Computer Mentality Joe? Sketch up doesn't allow import unless I'm missing something...
of photos? yes, Sketchup will allow the import of photos, you can use one as a background and actualy move it into the prespective that your model is drawn at. I belive that the free version does allow this, but I am not sure.

I will ask the guy that does our sketchup massing models at work. I generaly use Autocad for my models, and do more photorealistic renders for clients.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
I bought Punch! 10 days ago. It kinda sucks, but I have persevered - after all, my $99 is not refundable.

I have managed (using the not to scale promotional plan of my builder) to get the house in there, more or less. I am having trouble with the roof line, but admittedly don't need it.

Like you - I just wanted to get the face of the house, so I could figure out some landscaping ideas before the landscapers come. I've been able to do that - but PUNCH! really doesn't have enough plant selection for me. The only reason I've bothered to do the interior walls in the house is because we know we are going to remodel (ourselves) our kitchen and foyer one day - so if I build the rooms now it will be easier for me to play around with them in the future - different paint choices, tile choices, etc..

I would never expect an architecht/builder to work from plans that a homeowner made on Punch!! Clearly I don't know local codes, or anything else..

I am just using it as a "design" tool - and one for future minor renovations.

I will have to check out the google program though. Maybe that would be easier for a patio, I have to say Punch sucks at patio options.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:12 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,593 times
A little late to these questions. I am looking for something a bit different than the others. My architect has completed plans, drawn with DataCad. I want to find some rationally priced software that can take the DataCad file from my architect, and allow me to import the file so I can see it in 3-D and evaluate choices about the interior design, window styles, roofing materials, flooring, kitchen layout, etc. with detailed views of what they will look like. As someone who has lived in a city his whole life and never been involved in house planning, it is very difficult to visualize layout from 2-D drawings (although the architect will be providing a scale model shortly).

Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
A little late to these questions. I am looking for something a bit different than the others. My architect has completed plans, drawn with DataCad. I want to find some rationally priced software that can take the DataCad file from my architect, and allow me to import the file so I can see it in 3-D and evaluate choices about the interior design, window styles, roofing materials, flooring, kitchen layout, etc. with detailed views of what they will look like. As someone who has lived in a city his whole life and never been involved in house planning, it is very difficult to visualize layout from 2-D drawings (although the architect will be providing a scale model shortly).
what file format does this program save in? if it is DWG, you can open it with autocad, although it is very expensive. If he can save it to a .DWF file you can open it with a free viewer from Autodesk (makers of Autocad) This would allow you to visualize your home using the program.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,634 times
I've used Punch, BHG, and SketchUp. SketchUp is much easier to use, but it's a general purpose tool and doesn't do home design very well.

I'm actually developing design software at http://www.mygardenplans.com has has the best of both worlds: it's easy to use like SketchUp, but is intended for home and landscape design. In addition, the software is free and runs online so it doesn't require any installation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum