Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2021, 12:21 PM

44 posts, read 68,596 times

Advertisements

I’ve watched a bunch of videos of what modern homes look like and I see McMansions and they look nice. I just want to know are houses in every state building single family homes that look like McMansions? or just regular homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 12:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
No, not here, it's just that the typical tract home has gotten bigger. We have several new developments and they are all 4,000-4,500 square feet, on minimum 5,000 sf lots. They are still cookie-cutter all similar or the same, often with dual masters for multi-generational families, and starting at $1.3 million. The rare McManson here is new construction on an infill lot, often with a clearcut of a small forest, and would be $6,000 sf or more on at least an acre, starting at over $2 million.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:38 PM

34,921 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners9354 View Post
I’ve watched a bunch of videos of what modern homes look like and I see McMansions and they look nice. I just want to know are houses in every state building single family homes that look like McMansions? or just regular homes?
What McMansions are you talking about? McMansion is usually a derogatory term meaning a large ugly home crammed on a small lot. They usually lack any architectural integrity. Here in Connecticut, new homes tend to be built on larger lots and have more traditional architecture so they aren’t really McMansions. Some may call any large newer homes McMansions no matter what but they aren’t correct. Jay

Old 07-20-2021, 01:15 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
The overwhelming majority of SFH built here in the states are built the same way-

Some type of concrete foundation
Dimensional lumber framing and/or hybrid structural components
Weather resistant veneers for walls and roofs
Gypsum board wall interiors
Plumbing
Heat source
Electrical
Door(s) and window(s) for entry and exit

Everything else is cosmetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum