Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

Niki, I'm with you about the open floor plans -- no thanks!

There are so many beautiful styles of houses. My favorite will always be a 1950s-style quad-level; I've been coveting the house across from my parents' home for about 40 years. Oh, what I could do with that house ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
Funny ; I do like open floor plans, but in my house that we live in, I would love to put french doors into the dining room and again into the den/living room from the hallway.

Dh is steadfast on not doing it.

d

Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,877 times
I have my dream home
Spanish Colonial/Mediterranean wao!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,791 times
Falling Water...or anything Frank Lloyd Wright.
Or the old home place on Chesser Island, Okeefenolee Swamp GA
or anything on Cumberland Island GA
or just a cabin up in the Appalachians somewhere

Not too picky am I??

Old 07-18-2008, 03:27 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
I would like a large cabin/wood framed house in the mountains and ON the lake. The best of both worlds.....snow sports in the winter and water skiing in the summer.

Dawn

Old 07-18-2008, 09:39 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
Our dream home could be any one of many styles, though we favor those from the first half of the 20th century.

What would really make it a dream come true would be a huge eat-in kitchen, the farmhouse kind that is the real heart of the home. Lots of cupboards, acres of counter space, room for one of those bottom-mount French door refrigerators, a garage-style cabinet for an honest-to-goodness Hobart mixer, a six-burner stove with two ovens, plus a window-lined alcove big enough for a nice roomy kitchen table. Maybe a fireplace, too, though they make a place harder to heat.

And the other required element for our dream home is an enormous library. About 18'x24', lined with built-in floor-to-ceiling oak bookshelves with lower free-standing shelves out in the center of the room. A couple of big old comfy easy chairs with a good lamp between them, and a small high-quality stereo, and we'd be in heaven.

Beyond that, a small bedroom, one bathroom, a couple of big closets, and we'd be set.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
I live in my dream home and I couldn't be happier. I have told my husband, in no uncertain terms, he will be taking me out of this home and straight to my grave because I will not go willingly!
We live in a brick Georgian built in 1929 and we are on 2 acres in the city. We are happy.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
My current house is my dream house. Built it four years ago mostly with salvaged materials (antique doors, bricks, wood floors, cabinetry from antique cypress, bathtubs, light fixtures, etc.). I have always wanted a house like this. Using recycled antique materials was a favorite practice of a famous local architect named A. Hays Town. If you can prove that your house was a Hays Town house it automatically adds a ton of value. Since I can't afford any Hays Town houses, I had one built using his principles and techniques. I want to live in this house for the rest of my life.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 AM

438 posts, read 1,730,720 times
Mine would be an 1800 ft full-log home (hand-hewn with chinking). Walk-out basement and lots of windows. Very open floor plan. It would have in-floor heating and natural stone floors and countertops. Wood, stone and glass. I'd also have about 5 acres overlooking the Big Horn Mountains around Buffalo, WY.

Ahhh, at least dreaming is free!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:36 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlammons View Post
If you could have or build your dream home what would it be?

Here is the link to mine:

http://www.bluefieldhistoricalsociet...images/409.jpg

This house is actually right up the road from where I live. It was built in 1915 and has about 6000 sq. ft. and is not a private home anymore. I have been in it once and it is amazing. All of the original woodwork is still there, pocket doors, HUGE front porch and balcony off the top level. The kitchen and bathrooms been redone but with period pieces. I love it!

What's YOUR dream home?
That one would work!

I like to say I have a mini, modest version already... we have a 1915 "worker's cottage", about 1200 sf, with a huge front porch with wood columns but otherwise nice and simple.

My dream house would be a Southern Plantation home preferably built before the Civil War, with acreage but within 30 minutes from a good sized city...something like this:

Georgia Realty Sales, Inc. - Home for Sale in Hephzibah, Georgia

or this:

Georgia Realty Sales, Inc. - Home for Sale in Washington, Georgia

or this:

Georgia Realty Sales, Inc. - Historic Home for Sale in McDuffie County, Georgia

Any of those would do fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum