Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 14,903 times

Advertisements

I think 1000 square feet, would work for us, In Bali.

I really want solar panels or a windmill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Currently I have refined (?) my personal dream house to a 600 sq ft one room adobe on 640 acres in the east central region of New Mexico. Solar collector and wood stove for heat, windmill for water and minimal electricity and very, very few neighbors.

Unfortunately my significant other does not share this dream.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
My ideal is similar to that one...though the dining room would be replaced by a library-my one 'gotta have'. I have no desire to have a formal dining room. Instead the breakfast area would serve as the main dining place for us.

I also only plan for 3 bedrooms,so that flips a few things from that particular plan.

It's fun to look though!
I cannot talk my wife out of a formal dining room. The room at the lower right will the library/computer room (we are both geeks), and the one at top right will be her craft room/3rd bedroom. We are adding a third garage bay for my shop.

Our master juts out at the left top far enough for a screened porch to the right of it, and rest of the back will be a deck. Since our lot slopes to water almost the entire back of the house will be glass.

Her kitchen will be larger and we added enough room to the left of it for a stairway to a basement and bonus room over the garage.

Basement and first floor will be ICF and I'm considering a concrete floor also. Geothermal with in floor heating. If we can afford it we are looking at these types of window and doors.

Thermal Industries, Inc.: SafeHarbor Vinyl Impact Windows and Patio Doors (http://www.thermalindustries.com/safeharbor-impact-hurricane-windows/ - broken link)

Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I cannot talk my wife out of a formal dining room. The room at the lower right will the library/computer room (we are both geeks), and the one at top right will be her craft room/3rd bedroom. We are adding a third garage bay for my shop.

Our master juts out at the left top far enough for a screened porch to the right of it, and rest of the back will be a deck. Since our lot slopes to water almost the entire back of the house will be glass.

Her kitchen will be larger and we added enough room to the left of it for a stairway to a basement and bonus room over the garage.

Basement and first floor will be ICF and I'm considering a concrete floor also. Geothermal with in floor heating. If we can afford it we are looking at these types of window and doors.

Thermal Industries, Inc.: SafeHarbor Vinyl Impact Windows and Patio Doors (http://www.thermalindustries.com/safeharbor-impact-hurricane-windows/ - broken link)
I just can't see the need for a formal dining room that is used so infrequently all the while paying to heat/cool it and to keep it clean. I'd much rather put it to use as a library to house decent sized collection of boooks and a nice place to sit and read them, the paper, do puzzles, play games and perhaps have my computer in there. Plus I have a collection of Coke things that would be the 'decor' for me. haha

My sister has a dining room and of course it's used when the whole family is there, however the room is separated from the kitchen/nook/living area, so whoever ends up eating there is away from the majority of the group, and it's still not enough space for everyone to sit and eat at the same time. Silly space to me.

I was wanting 3 bedrooms since I have a 5 yr old and 10 yr old still at home.

In a way I'd love a computer room, but if I did that, I'd have to turn it completely over to hubby, and then the kids and I would never see him when he was home! His career centers around computers and we currently have 4 up and running in the house, with many spare parts to probably put together another one. Since he's the one that works on all the family computers, he gets 'old' stuff handed down to him quite often. He'd be in heaven though.....

I live in Texas, so I don't have a great desire for fireplace, but would prefer a sitting area in the master, and the closet to be separated into his and hers.

The one thing that I really would like to have, I've not seen on any floor plans I've looked at recently. It might seem weird to many, but I don't want people who first come to my house to be able to see into the main part of the house. Most foyers open into living or dining rooms or face stairs. I prefer one story, so stairs wouldn't exist in my dream home anyway. I want my front door to open into a wide hallway with the library on the left (with a half wall so it seems more open). Then straight ahead would be a wall with perhaps a closet or seat/hat rack type deal. Then there'd be openings to the left to the kitchen/living area and the right to the hallway to the bedrooms.

My thought would be that behind that wall would be a half bath for all to use from the kitchen/living area, a coat type closet and the laundry area (closer to the bedrooms than the kitchen)

Then, like you stated on your masters, I wanted the master to go back further and have a nice deck/porch off it. I just wanted my master on the same side as the other bedrooms and the living/kitchen areas pushed all the way to the left.

Clear as mud? haha

Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Yes, actually.

And I get the computer quandary since I earn my living as a Computer Consultant. I sent 9 old PCs to heaven this spring and am going to have to do it again if the closet fills up any more!

Being childless we want our master as far from the other bedrooms as possible. When I'm over there blowing up things in a computer game (or she is!) we don't want our beauty rest disturbed. We have, and play, every Tomb raider game, every winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum