Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the Best Architecture?
Boston 36 10.50%
New York City 71 20.70%
Philadelphia 17 4.96%
Baltimore 4 1.17%
Washington D.C. 15 4.37%
Charleston, SC 7 2.04%
New Orleans 26 7.58%
Chicago 89 25.95%
San Francisco 26 7.58%
Seattle 14 4.08%
Other 38 11.08%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:10 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
TomDot nice photos.

The first picture of old Boston looks like it could be a old European city - if you had said it was I would have believed you.
The second picture of the elevatored looks like old Brooklyn or Chicago.
Pictures three to seven look like they might be old New York. In addition the sixth picture (the old house that had seen better days) could be any city in England.

Although you might disagee with me - I believe Boston was better before it started building modern skyscrappers. Its like they decide to tear down alot of their older buildings but then went only halfway and built a relatively small skyline. Its a decent skyline but still not what expect for such a quality city.
Unfortunately most of those older buildings were destroyed during the period of "urban renewal" which happened during the 1950s. The Central Artery (now underground thanks to the Big Dig), Government Center and the new West End of Boston destroyed many of the most beautiful areas of Boston. City officials said that the area looked too much like medieval Paris and that it "bred crime".

This is how Government Center/Scollay Square looked and how it now looks. It's a damn shame.

Then:

Now:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
TomDot nice photos.

The first picture of old Boston looks like it could be a old European city - if you had said it was I would have believed you.
The second picture of the elevatored looks like old Brooklyn or Chicago.
Pictures three to seven look like they might be old New York. In addition the sixth picture (the old house that had seen better days) could be any city in England.

Although you might disagee with me - I believe Boston was better before it started building modern skyscrappers. Its like they decide to tear down alot of their older buildings but then went only halfway and built a relatively small skyline. Its a decent skyline but still not what expect for such a quality city.
What would have been really nice would be for Boston to have its CBD and skyscrapers outside the city core where one of the nearby suburbs are today--much like La Defense and Paris.

It seems tragic to destroy the hearts of cities in order to build up another one that will probably be torn down in turn when all around there are parcels being used for forgettable suburban development.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
Its New Orleans or Charleston.

They have both massive historic preservation districts, and the vernacular of each city (especially New Orleans) is iconic. Period. No contest.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
In terms of homes, I don't know. But for general architecture, definitely NYC followed by DC. Just look at this list.

America's Favorite Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2009, 07:54 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Unfortunately most of those older buildings were destroyed during the period of "urban renewal" which happened during the 1950s. The Central Artery (now underground thanks to the Big Dig), Government Center and the new West End of Boston destroyed many of the most beautiful areas of Boston. City officials said that the area looked too much like medieval Paris and that it "bred crime".

This is how Government Center/Scollay Square looked and how it now looks. It's a damn shame.

Then:

Now:
Omg! I am crying my eyes out! In your first photo behind the "Turkish Trophies" sign looks like an entire row of colonial or early American rowhouses. And they tore them down to built a concrete field? Ashame --- maybe they were rundown back then but they could have been restored and would be a great place to live now. Ashame, at least Faeunil Hall is still there.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:57 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
LOL this topic never gets old. I have seen this question asked over and over

Old 06-08-2009, 09:53 PM

94 posts, read 281,801 times
I voted New York City. I feel that Chicago has a better skyline and is more pleasing to the eye than NYC from afar, however, when you examine New York on an individual building basis (which is how I think architecture should be judged), no American city rivals it. No other city represents Beaux Arts and Art Deco as well as NYC. As I just mentioned in another thread, these are my two favorite types of architecture.

It's strange. I hate how Manhattan looks from an aerial view. It appears to be a jungle of ugly and boring brown/gray buildings. But from street view where you can really pick out the ornate details of many of its buildings, it's spectacular.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
Agreed. The ornates look like missed pieces on the roof of skyscrapers from airview, and they give the building a somewhat crumbled look, but if you examine them carefully, they are actually charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago14 View Post
I voted New York City. I feel that Chicago has a better skyline and is more pleasing to the eye than NYC from afar, however, when you examine New York on an individual building basis (which is how I think architecture should be judged), no American city rivals it. No other city represents Beaux Arts and Art Deco as well as NYC. As I just mentioned in another thread, these are my two favorite types of architecture.

It's strange. I hate how Manhattan looks from an aerial view. It appears to be a jungle of ugly and boring brown/gray buildings. But from street view where you can really pick out the ornate details of many of its buildings, it's spectacular.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
^^ I think NYC has better neighborhood architecture. I think Chicago has a better skyline. I gave Chicago the edge in the architectural department because its styles are more original. A lot of the architecture in NYC is borrowed from Europe.

To great examples of great architectural cities though.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
I don't really care for all that old gotham type. I don't see all the rave about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum