Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times

Advertisements

"Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography, sculpture, and paintings. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics, and even disciplines such as history and psychology analyze its relationship with humans and generations.
Traditionally, the term art was used to refer to any skill or mastery. This conception changed during the Romantic period, when art came to be seen as "a special faculty of the human mind to be classified with religion and science".[1] Generally, art is made with the intention of stimulating thoughts and emotions"

Art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm gonna focus on domestic architecture because most ecclesiastical, government, public buildings, ect are undoubtedly are "art" and our home are ultimately the largest portion of America's built environment.

For consideration:

Here is a random modern home that could be anywhere in the country. Is it "art?"

You won't see it in the Louvre anytime soon, but I argue yes, it is art. It is trying to say: Normal, pleasant, middle-class people live here. It generates a feelling by just looking at it. The landscaping, colors and superflous shutters, even the halloween decorations come together to create that impression, just as artist's paints on canvas together to evoke emotion from the viewer.

So if you purchase a house, keep up the yard, decorate it, you are an artist.

My next question is: why are we satisfied with inferior art in this country? Why do we build identical cookie cutter houses dominated by garages? Why don't we care whether they are pleasantly porportioned and and made with ticky-tacky materials?

Because by and large we don't consider our regular buildings to be a type of art. I think this is why American built environments tend to look so ugly...

(edit) I realize this is right on the line between this and the Home forum; Here I get good thoughts from the "function" perspective, there from the "form" perspective. I put it in both places... mods please let it stay.

Last edited by Chango; 04-15-2011 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 02:12 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,910 times
Whether it is art or not is up to individual opinion. Some people see Victorian, Gregorian and Tudor homes as a sign of craftsmanship. While I certainly appreciate that architecture my appreciation for it is for very different reasons than the individuals who built them.

Other people see buildings for a purely functional purpose only and really don't care if it is built in a square consisting of cinder blocks, round, or the shape of a UFO. The only thing they care about is that the ceiling over the bed doesn't leak when it rains, or that the wind doesn't blow all the paperwork off the desk in their office.

What people consider attractive varies too. Out of the three types of architecture I mentioned in the first paragraph, my favorite is Tudor. Overall, my favorite type of architecture in housing is the 20s through 30s "cottage" style homes with stucco exteriors wherein they blended various architectural elements into the exterior design. The designs are attractive, but not busy. The interiors have a touch of the Art Decco of that era. I've seen recent tract homes built to resemble mainly the Tudor with French "catslide" roofs coming off of one side. The houses themselves are attractive on an individual level, but when there are a whole total of five models in a tract of 350 homes, well, it just makes everything look the same.

I'm picky about ranch homes. Anything built after 1965 just looks functional to me. From this point on the majority of them look the same. Large garage in front and that thin stucco with a grainy texture. Prior to this many ranch homes had various types of siding which made each house look different from the one next door.

And of course there was the "modern" architecture. Most of those look like boxes with windows too me. I do like some of the eclectic googie and atomic architecture of that same era.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:57 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Some of it is art. The rest is just a box to sleep in.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
It's art in the same sense that fashion is art. Is an article of designer clothing art? How about a T-shirt? What if the designer clothing is actually a knockoff of piece of designer clothing, rather than an original? What if the T-shirt has an original piece of artwork on the front? Does it make a difference if the original artist is a world-renowned artist, or your 5 year old with some puff paint?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I woulod call that modern or art really.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
It's art in the same sense that fashion is art. Is an article of designer clothing art? How about a T-shirt? What if the designer clothing is actually a knockoff of piece of designer clothing, rather than an original? What if the T-shirt has an original piece of artwork on the front? Does it make a difference if the original artist is a world-renowned artist, or your 5 year old with some puff paint?
Fashion is a kind of art, but it's far more transient and temporary. The greatest works of art are supposed to last "forever"... or at least for a long time.

I would say a house is (at least in theory) supposed to last for a long time, and since it will be making it's statement for a while, a house should do it well.

But that does bring up an idea for discussion. Perhaps planned obsolescence does not give us the right motivation to build with asthetics in mind.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
The house above, as you describe it, is just a canvas. It's what the people do to it that gives it personality, and makes it art.

But, there are houses that are built to be works of art. Whether you like the design or not, Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water doesn't need additional decorations to make a statement.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Quote:
Do you consider domestic architecture to be art?
For the sake of debate, I'll argue NO.

Please note, I am a huge fan of architecture in general.

I was also an art major.

For me, Art, in it's highest form, exists solely to enlighten, educate, and/or entertain us.

Very few buildings, commercial, or residential, reach that lofty plateau.

This doesn't mean I don't admire and respect architects! Quite the opposite. In fact, their job, to blend both the artistic/aesthetic with the functional/possible (think engineering) is HUGE. It's a tough blend of both art and science where few excel.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Fashion is a kind of art, but it's far more transient and temporary. The greatest works of art are supposed to last "forever"... or at least for a long time.

I would say a house is (at least in theory) supposed to last for a long time, and since it will be making it's statement for a while, a house should do it well.

But that does bring up an idea for discussion. Perhaps planned obsolescence does not give us the right motivation to build with asthetics in mind.
Either that or it is the planned obsolescence that is the problem. Fashion in architecture is a transient and temporary thing too--houses are basically built to last long enough to sell to the last buyer in the subdivision, and if they don't meet current fashions (driven of course by current transportation modes) they won't sell. Previous generations built in more permanent fashion because rapid mobility was less of an expectation--thus houses were built with longer lifespans in mind.

Also keep in mind that the customers of residential and commercial architecture vary: the customer who wears jeans and a T-shirt probably looks for different things in their residential architecture than the person who wears designer suits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C
But, there are houses that are built to be works of art. Whether you like the design or not, Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water doesn't need additional decorations to make a statement.
It does, however, need additional supports to keep it from falling over.
Restoration of drooping Fallingwater uncovers flaws amid genius

Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

For me, Art, in it's highest form, exists solely to enlighten, educate, and/or entertain us.
I enjoy driving or walking around beautiful old neighborhoods and admiring the homes. I don't think I'm the only one that does such a thing just for the fun of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum