Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Why is today's domestic architecture (especially more "average" homes) so focused on what's going on inside rather than outside?

Here are a couple modern examples of from around my area:

None of these houses are buildings that would make you stop on the sidewalk just to look at. They would look painfully similar to every other house in their respective neighborhoods.

Nor would you be likely to find an occupant of those houses outside their house at all... unless it was time to mow the lawn anyway (though the owner of #3 gets out of that too!). Clearly what matters most is what's going inside... the front facades make a token effort to not be totally trashy and blend in, but are still an afterthought in the total construction. They are designed from the inside-out; the appearance of the facades are essentially incidental to the layout of the floorplans.

It wasn't always that way:

These would have been roughly equivalent in demographics to the modern examples in their time.

But there is a big difference... they are built with an outward focus. What's happening on the outside of the houses is not subordinate to the interior layout. They were clearly designed from the outside-in.

The result is a house that looks beautiful on the outside, but (as any old house owner knows ) probably contain odd/awkward interior layouts and difficult spaces.

Clearly today's values on the subject are opposite to yesteryear's... so why have we about-faced?

Which focus is better; inward or outward?

Is it possible to achieve both "on a budget"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
The porches of yesteryear were elements that mediated between the public realm of the sidewalk and the private realm of the house. But the modern examples you show are based on an automobile sort of lifestyle. People drive up, or maybe right into them, and go inside. Its a much different experience of approach and entry. The front doors of the modern home probably aren't getting used much, except maybe on Halloween :-)

Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
I think you just don't like ranch style houses. I don't either. Hatted roofs with low rooflines, exteremely plain exteriors, no front porch. I'd say the problem was the extreme growth in homeownership and modular building techniques post WWII coupled with the rise of the automobile. And that military-trained engineers took over the home design process.

Add the fact that the homes were not built for specific climates or uses, but plunked everywhere. Check out the low rooflines on picture 1 vs the last picture. Snow loads must be outrageous on that flat roof. Or they would be if it were properly insulated.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I would think that Air conditioning had a little to do with the change in how a home is built. I remember visiting family members that lived in older homes with porches and we would all sit outside when it was hot into the evening. My dad remembers sleeping on a porch during the summer months. Those were the days long before Air conditioning. My favorite of all the homes is the last picture. We have a neighborhood near by with homes like that. Still who today sits out on a porch? We have created interior spaces with entertainment centers, indoor cooking areas to rival the older homes kitchens. I would say with yards, my backyard is the place to hang out. We have a barbq area, nice comfortable patio with an outdoor living area. The kids have a trampoline to play on. We live in the back yard. The front for us is a place to enter and park the cars.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Why is today's domestic architecture (especially more "average" homes) so focused on what's going on inside rather than outside?

None of these houses are buildings that would make you stop on the sidewalk just to look at. They would look painfully similar to every other house in their respective neighborhoods.

Nor would you be likely to find an occupant of those houses outside their house at all... unless it was time to mow the lawn anyway (though the owner of #3 gets out of that too!). Clearly what matters most is what's going inside... the front facades make a token effort to not be totally trashy and blend in, but are still an afterthought in the total construction. They are designed from the inside-out; the appearance of the facades are essentially incidental to the layout of the floorplans.

These would have been roughly equivalent in demographics to the modern examples in their time.

But there is a big difference... they are built with an outward focus. What's happening on the outside of the houses is not subordinate to the interior layout. They were clearly designed from the outside-in.

The result is a house that looks beautiful on the outside, but (as any old house owner knows ) probably contain odd/awkward interior layouts and difficult spaces.

Clearly today's values on the subject are opposite to yesteryear's... so why have we about-faced?

In a word- Security. As a society, we "feel" safer inside. Welcome to the "Cocoon effect".

Which focus is better; inward or outward?
Today, it's clearly inside. But there is some degree of adherence to the exterior- HOA controlled developments.
Is it possible to achieve both "on a budget"?
Define budget!
Achieve both- yes. But to what degree that will appease the masses?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Thankfully, I now live in an area where new houses are built with wrap-around porches or decks. That's because most houses here are custom (mountains) and people aren't forced into what a tract home builder deems acceptable.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
In part, people tend to view a house as an investment, a place to stay for just a few years, a commodity to be traded many times over. New houses tend to be bland so as to be acceptable to the most people so it's sale is faster.

Also, speculative builders (of spec houses) build what is easiest and least expensive knowing most buyers will accept it, since most buyers look for an investment, a place to stay for just a few years, a commodity to be traded...

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
New houses tend to be bland so as to be acceptable to the most people so it's sale is faster.
I don't know about that. Most people love houses with porches and would very much like to have them.

I think in places where all the land is owned by developers (suburbs), people are forced to go with what's out there. The architecture isn't necessarily a reflection of the owner's taste. Whereas now I'm living in the mountains and there aren't any tract homes. Here, almost every house has porches or decks because people get to choose their own plan.

That said, we do have builders who put up individual spec homes. But almost all of those have porches or decks too. I suppose those builders are following the lead of the majority here who build their own homes.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:55 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I don't know about that. Most people love houses with porches and would very much like to have them.

I think in places where all the land is owned by developers (suburbs), people are forced to go with what's out there. The architecture isn't necessarily a reflection of the owner's taste. Whereas now I'm living in the mountains and there aren't any tract homes. Here, almost every house has porches or decks because people get to choose their own plan.

That said, we do have builders who put up individual spec homes. But almost all of those have porches or decks too. I suppose those builders are following the lead of the majority here who build their own homes.
Down here people people have "porches"...on a concrete slab, but the houses are still bland (with a few exceptions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum