Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times

Advertisements

This is a very common modern style where they mix fuax (fake) elements of six or seven different styles. There is tudor, some colonial revival, gerogian elements what appears to be an attempt at stick or queen anne, probably several others. What I have heard that they do is they pool people and determine what percetnage of people like any given architectural style. they they build houses to match. thus, if 30% of the people like tudor and 205 like greek revivial and 10% like georgian and 15% like Federal style, then they design a house with each of thos percentages of each type of architectural element. I do not know whether this is true or not, but i do see a lod of modern houses that display a mish mash of bits of architectural elements from different periods and styles. I do not think that there is a name for this, but the most predominient style in these houses is Tudor. Several have coloniail revival elements as well. All have some siding that appears to be meant to look like shingle or stick style, then there are faux traditional columns on several of the houses. Two of them have what appear to be some craftsman elements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
McMansion

Old 10-27-2008, 04:34 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
I would describe those home styles as European or French Country...most of the elements of the home are reminicent of those styles to me.

European from Houseplans.com

Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times
Beautiful homes....very charming! I like #2!
Stone front homes are very popular right now. My Moms neighbor did part of the front of their home in stone....it looks so nice....brings warmth and charm to the home!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM

192 posts, read 631,209 times
To me they are tudor style with a "Craftsman" influence. Hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
They look like Texas houses!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
But wait, transitional means not permanent.
Yep. "Transitional" means these houses -- with all their faux this and faux that -- will fall apart in 30 years.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Default Well it might be worse than that.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yep. "Transitional" means these houses -- with all their faux this and faux that -- will fall apart in 30 years.
It is interesting to read some of the comments. They say damn the details, I concentrate on what is pretty.

Does anyone really understand the incredilble amount of flashing that would be required in some of those houses. Every one of them lil peaks require flashing at their joining surfaces to the main roof. All those valleys must be flashed. Yards and yards of joints to be properly protected and from an industry that uses the cheapest junk going. That cheap aluminum flashing will corrode right thru in a few years at just the right point to give you a leak, Murphy's Laws are always at work, and you want miles and miles of flashing. Not me, I want zero. In fact, I got to face that particular problem today. Repairs on an old garage where they bumped out the back. That over hang roof went south, replaced it yesterday, must figure out how to make a seal with the wall today. Naw, I hate flashing in all its forms. Even a good dormer design can drive you to drink.

All those pretty peaks require more skill from the probably illegal labor force. Plus did you realize the biggest nail in the shack came out a nail gun, that puts it at around 3.5" max. Lots of those strange angles want bigger nails or fancy connectors, will you get it, don't bet on it.

Same with the drainage paths. Lots of those roof configurations in past designs have been very troublesome over the life of the house. They have problems collecting drainage and routing it well. More than one house wound up with water damage in the walls. How is that Transistional stuff going to age, sure ain't going to be all that cheap to repair or maintain over the years.

They call that attic thing a loft. When in marketing choose the words nice. Hey, we ain't got no light up here. Dummy, you ain't got no windows up there either. How did they get a good under roof vent system in there. Do you mean there is one? Where is the insulation, wonder why it is hot as blazes up here. An attic by any other name is an attic.

It always is wise to look beyond Pretty and understand a lot more about any house, especially the construction methods and techniques used to build it. My dear, that stone is not stone, fake stone or fiberglass. Real stone is about like hen's teeth any more. If you get real lucky it is real stucco made to look fake. Ooops, sorry that should have been faux or one of those other Indian words.

One of these dazes I want to build a house. I doubt a Transistional anything will be high on my list. No fake anything need also apply. I do not want any design that will build in a bunch of defects.

Yeah, it should be Pretty but that will not come first. Madison Avenue has gone nuts and it is selling. It sure is Pretty, that and the smell of baking bread, those flowers on the porch, the wiff on vanilla in the air, where do I sign?

They have sort of done the same thing with cars and that works a bit better. Take a bit off a Mini-Cooper, big box of a van, SUV pieces, mangled chaff off some racing car and smash / roll it all together. Sort of can work, my Yaris is a bit like that, well done actually. But I don't think it is that easy to do with houses. Their exhaust pipes are probably not in the right location.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,312 times
thanks to those who have responded and cosmic - i'm so glad you aren't my builder. no offense but your self assuredness borderline cockiness and everything i say is right attitude would really drive me nuts. do you let your home owners have a choice or do you tell them everything they want is stupid and then do it your way? are you also saying that you would be unable to build a quality built home that looks like the photos i posted? the photos i posted are actually from a very respectable, reputable, high end builder in south carolina. i assure you it's quality and no, you're not the only one who knows how to build quality houses. i should add however, that i do enjoy reading some of your posts and think that your experience is an asset to CD.

sorry - i just had to get that off my chest. phew i feel better.

thanks again everyone!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I see those type homes all the time.One thing tho as he said they are very expensive to maintain espeacilly when new roofing is needed. Have a friend that just di a bunch of similar homes with roofing after sdtorms. Aveage about 14,000 to do with 30 year architecure roofing for average home fo this style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum