Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:20 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,947 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both styles of homes and in my opinion a blending of both styles works best. Completely open, with kids, is very noisy. Try cooking dinner and talking on the phone, while one child is watching tv and another is playing. Very difficult! Add another child trying to do homework at the dining room table and it just doesn't work.

For us, having separate rooms but an open flow works very well. The dining room and living room open to each other and the kitchen and family room are open to each other, too.

I don't know if stainless and granite appeal to prospective buyers but they certainly appeal to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:45 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Just wondering, I watch a lot of HGTV, do your clients always say they want granite counter tops and stainless appliances? Are those two items a big deal to prospective buyers?
It depends. We have had quite a few clients want us to spec out concrete counter tops. we generally do not get into the very fine details such as appliances, or counter top choices unless it is going to change the way the structural elements must be laid out such as stone interior items. I can tell you from the completed homes I have walked through, many of the clients actually like to have the ref. and dish washers to share the exterior finish of the rest of the cabs. Stainless is slowly fading, black appliances seem to be used quite more frequently in the past couple years.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
HGTV really pushes the open concept. I prefer seperate rooms, my kitchen (while gorgeous) LOL, there is always something going on in there, **isn't that what kitchens are for** so when I go into the Living Room, it is like a peaceful getaway. I do not need to see dishes, pots , laundry...etc while I am watching TV or reading a book.

Also, doesn't it seem like the builders are being cheap with making an open concept, so instead of having 3 decent size rooms for Living, Dining and kitchen they make it just 1 room for all 3....Here in Brooklyn NY there are a lot of new homes going up and they all seem to have 1 big room with the cabinets shoved in the corner......oh well......

Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
I prefer traditional layouts. I don't want my guests to sit at the dining room table and look over into the kitchen filled with dirty pots and pans, nor do I want us to have coffee and dessert in a living/family room that also has a view of the kitchen -- messier now because I've cleared the table.

On the other hand ...

Quote:
I sure ain't going to sit in there, eat and discuss World Affairs.
... I like a large, cozy kitchen, with a table, for casual meals and coffee klatches. But I want it separated from the formal dining and living areas.

Kitchens in the middle of the house also annoy me -- I want that window over the sink! -- as do dining rooms you fall into as you step over the threshold.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
I'm really not sold on the open floorplans. They tend to look great on HGTV, in model homes, etc. but in reality unless you have zero clutter and a good eye for design they don't look nice. ESPECIALLY when combined with vaulted ceilings. With the kitchen, dining, and living rooms combined it can be more difficult to place furniture and I think a lot of people have no idea how to decorate the space. It's a lot harder to transition design from one room to the next when it's all open, too often people leave the design plain and have too much clutter in sight.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:10 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatosoup View Post
TOpen concept homes, fad or long lasting style?
I believe that deciding on open concept floor plans depends on personal preference, the architecture of the house, and the way people live (or need to live) on an everyday basis. Personally, I do not prefer the open space plan. I think that each room should express its own individuality while being part of the flow and design of a house. I believe that individual rooms should offer a sense of privacy (i.e., a space to read a book, watch TV with guests, or simply to think about things). I am trying to buy a new house now and there are two things I would insist on: (1) a private/separate dining room. Yes, one that deserves a large table and a beautiful chandelier, and (2) a closed kitchen. I abhor the idea of an open kitchen where everything is seen, heard, and smelled. I don't mean to sound rotten but kitchens, at one time, was meant only for the servants to enter, not the owners of a house. I think that this open-floor plan idea for kitchens is an ideal way for the building industry to sucker homeowners into buying or upgrading to the latest-and-greatest products on the market.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
If you are going to build an open design, spend some time planning your possible cluster arrangements and install flush mount floor plugs.
This is especially important if you have non-carpeted floors as you don't want to be running cords across the floor or having them hang down from above.

Floor plugs are not intrusive and are the only practical way to supply power to furniture clusters in the middle of the room, like to power reading lamps, or a computer desk.

If you have a crawl space or a basement they can be added later; but, if you build on a slab, they need to be planned for before construction begins.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
I like the look of one - we get a lot of light - but it gets too noisy.

I think it would be more liveable if the bedrooms are upstairs - in our house, its open and everything is on one floor and the noise carries.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I've lived in both styles of homes and in my opinion a blending of both styles works best. Completely open, with kids, is very noisy. Try cooking dinner and talking on the phone, while one child is watching tv and another is playing. Very difficult! Add another child trying to do homework at the dining room table and it just doesn't work.
That is what I meant in my post above but did not express! I have 4 kids and the open floor plan is very noisy.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:22 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
All this open concept is pushed by lazy women that do not want to do housework, do the women's work, clean, cook and please the man of the house. My GF loves my structured house. Is over joyed at being able to do the duties involved. Nothing like having the best. Hands to work, hearts to God and feeling all is right in its place.

I was with you right up until here... I very strongly dislike open concept floor plans, but I do not think it was pushed by lazy women, let alone the rest of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum