Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I personally don't like having the kitchen open up right into the living areas. I bought an old house that has the kitchen as a completely seperate room and made myself happy.

BUT...I don't think the style is going away anytime soon. Instead of reacting against having a messy utility area totally visible to more formal living space, the utility area has become formal, fancy and even the focal point of the house. It works just fine and lots of people like it. People from 100 years ago would scratch their heads in disbelief.
I've seen an awful lot of older houses in the US and Europe which have a big "farm" kitchen, meant for a lot of people. Kitchens have been gathering places for a long time. My first house had a small shut-off kitchen and I noticed that when I had parties, people naturally gravitated toward the kitchen (and were in my way). This house has a counter that overlooks the kitchen for people to perch and chat while I cook and enough room and "stations" for 3 people to comfortably "work" in the kitchen at the same time.

As a kid, the formal living room and formal dining room were just places to dust and stay out of because they were "for company." I don't have "company," I have friends and friends of friends over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
As a kid, the formal living room and formal dining room were just places to dust and stay out of because they were "for company." I don't have "company," I have friends and friends of friends over.
That's why we have dinner every night in the dining room, and use the formal living room for office/guest room/place for people to be when they don't want to hear the TV.

I think that's what bothers me the most about the open concept home - if my husband wants to watch (insert whatever show you don't care to watch here) in marathon, I'd like to be able to go somewhere other than the bedroom or outside to carry a conversation with someone (or do something else) and not be in view/close hearing distance of the TV. I think some separation of space is good, even if guests are over - not everyone is necessarily chatting about the same thing.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
That's why we have dinner every night in the dining room, and use the formal living room for office/guest room/place for people to be when they don't want to hear the TV.

I think that's what bothers me the most about the open concept home - if my husband wants to watch (insert whatever show you don't care to watch here) in marathon, I'd like to be able to go somewhere other than the bedroom or outside to carry a conversation with someone (or do something else) and not be in view/close hearing distance of the TV. I think some separation of space is good, even if guests are over - not everyone is necessarily chatting about the same thing.
Ah. We don't have a TV, so that isn't a problem. What we DO have are two small offices, with doors that close, one for each of us (mine is 8x10 and overlooks the deck and garden, his is larger because his profession requires walls of equipment).

When I had kids at home, I thought it was important for the kids to have "their" private space. Now that they are grown and gone, the house just belong to "us," the adults.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
I like both "open" and "private" spaces in my home. Although (or perhaps because) my house is small <1200 sq ft, the living/ dining/ kitchen areas are "open", but bedrooms, library, studio (fine arts) are all seperate. This certainly works well for me, I guess it all depends on family interests and lifestyle.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,499 times
I LOVE my open kitchen/family room. Of course I also have a seperate living room/dining combo that is a bit more formal. So I guess I have the best of
both,according to some..

Greenchili

Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatosoup View Post
Not loft style upstairs. I mean these open concept kitchens that face gargantuan living room/dining rooms with no walls or half walls and no clear delineation of space.
been around for a MUCH longer period than you think, of course the most well known proponent of open plans was Frank Lloyd Wright. his homes were mostly done at the turn of the century. They are here to stay, it is the most comfortable in the way of traffic flow than a home with doors to each separate room. It takes a great deal more to design than you think as well, so lazy designers? nope not in the slightest.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
been around for a MUCH longer period than you think, of course the most well known proponent of open plans was Frank Lloyd Wright. his homes were mostly done at the turn of the century. They are here to stay, it is the most comfortable in the way of traffic flow than a home with doors to each separate room. It takes a great deal more to design than you think as well, so lazy designers? nope not in the slightest.
And, to take the analogy back even further. . . I have seen a lot of pioneer cabins. . . one room. . . with the possible addition of a "sleeping loft" for the kids, if the family was rich enough. I have been in "schoolteacher cabins" that are smaller than my smallest bedroom. . .
Open concept makes lots of sense for smaller homes. . . and is great for entertaining in larger ones.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:53 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
I had my house built back in 1978. I had never owned a home before. I wanted a formal dining room and I still use it when I have guests. Plus, I have my piano in it because there is no place else to put it unless I want to sacrifice my numerous bookcases and that is not going to happen.

The builder told me I could use that room as a dining room or a formal parlor. "I don't need no stinkin' formal parlor." LOL That's what the den is for. It's not a huge house at 1980 sq feet but it is just perfect for me.

I spend most of my time in the third bedroom because it is my computer room with about 1500 movies (yes, I am addicted), one of the TVs and about a third of my books. It is the smallest room in the house and I spend the most time here.

I think open concept homes can be lovely but that is just not my style. I like walls and doors. I don't know why but the open concept often looks cold to me. I like the warmth of separate rooms. That is just what I like. I know some people would prefer the open concept.

What I also love is the fact that my NON-open concept house is paid for.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,415,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
And, to take the analogy back even further. . . I have seen a lot of pioneer cabins. . . one room. . . with the possible addition of a "sleeping loft" for the kids, if the family was rich enough. I have been in "schoolteacher cabins" that are smaller than my smallest bedroom. . .
Open concept makes lots of sense for smaller homes. . . and is great for entertaining in larger ones.
Most defiantly, I do not think I have had ONE client request a closed off floor plan. They want Open, especially in the smaller homes where every added wall to partition off the interior space subtracts from the usable floor space of the home. There are ways to give the feeling of separation between rooms without adding walls. Columns, vaults, and half walls for example are three very good ways to seperate the spaces without giving up the open floor plan. others are in the decoration of the home.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Most defiantly, I do not think I have had ONE client request a closed off floor plan. They want Open, especially in the smaller homes where every added wall to partition off the interior space subtracts from the usable floor space of the home. There are ways to give the feeling of separation between rooms without adding walls. Columns, vaults, and half walls for example are three very good ways to seperate the spaces without giving up the open floor plan. others are in the decoration of the home.
Just wondering, I watch a lot of HGTV, do your clients always say they want granite counter tops and stainless appliances? Are those two items a big deal to prospective buyers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum