Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's the only true American architectural style. See Sears Homes, Crafthome, American Bungalow, A Field Guide To American Houses, etc.

Typically the homes have exposed rafter tails, brackets, front porches, big and numerous single-pane windows. There are Japanese and Indian influences, but they are All-American. Most were built from the early 1900s to the middle 1920s.

My neighborhood in Dallas, the Junius Heights Historic District (East Dallas/Lakewood) has many examples and is one of the "Bungalow Heavens" scattered around the country.

My home is a 1916 Sears Hazelton model -- will attach pic from Sears.

My house in Florida is a 1914 Hazelton. it is now much modified, but I didn't lose the fabulous wood floors or cute bump-out windows. These bungalows are classics.
I'll be painting the house this year. I may use 3 colors, but not in thirds! Majority (walls) with be a pale yellow or light cream. Not sure if the knee braces and window frames should be white or a darker trim color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriley9386 View Post
My house in Florida is a 1914 Hazelton. it is now much modified, but I didn't lose the fabulous wood floors or cute bump-out windows. These bungalows are classics.
I'll be painting the house this year. I may use 3 colors, but not in thirds! Majority (walls) with be a pale yellow or light cream. Not sure if the knee braces and window frames should be white or a darker trim color.
What about the wainscoting and the wood built-ins? Some people back in the 50's actually tore all that out! Then in the 80's or so, people started searching for carpenters who could put it all back in! crazy.

I love pale yellow and cream as a color scheme!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's the only true American architectural style. See Sears Homes, Crafthome, American Bungalow, A Field Guide To American Houses, etc.

Typically the homes have exposed rafter tails, brackets, front porches, big and numerous single-pane windows. There are Japanese and Indian influences, but they are All-American. Most were built from the early 1900s to the middle 1920s.

My neighborhood in Dallas, the Junius Heights Historic District (East Dallas/Lakewood) has many examples and is one of the "Bungalow Heavens" scattered around the country.

My home is a 1916 Sears Hazelton model -- will attach pic from Sears.

What a wonderful house! I love authentic (old) craftsman and bungalow style homes. My house is a 1926 home that is not as typical as your beautiful bungalow on the exterior, but the interior is typically craftsman. The outside is a combination of a shingle style and craftsman.

Fortunately, we have all original wood siding and interior oak trim including built-ins.

Another homegrown style of house is the American Foursquare.

ETA - I really dislike the craftsman knock offs. But then, new construction doesn't do anything for me.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:11 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,256 times
"In Southern California the firm Greene and Greene are the most renowned practitioners of the original American Craftsman Style, and were based in Pasadena, California. Their projects for Ultimate bungalows include the Gamble House and Robert R. Blacker House in Pasadena, and the Thorsen House in Berkeley—with numerous others in California. Other examples in the Los Angeles region include the Lummis House and Journey House located in Pasadena."

About 15 years ago I had the privilege of appraising one of Greene's personal homes in Pasadena. It was a 4,600 sq ft Craftsman and it was stunning. I am a huge fan of the Arts & Crafts style of which the Craftsman is a part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum