Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 03:16 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times

Advertisements

Since others have put up postings for Mid-Century and Craftmans homes, I would like to post one of my favorite styles of home architecture called Spanish Colonia Revival/Mediterranean/California Mission.These houses are usually found in California, the desert southwest and in Florida.

This style of architecture is noted for its thick (made to look about 12" thick) stucco walls with recessed windows, doors and entryways. The top of the windows and doors are usually arched. The roof is covered with terra cotta tiles. There is usually some wrought iron ornamentation such as grill work over small windows and flower boxes under windows to hold terra cotta pots. Some of the larger homes have tiled entry courtyards or atriums. Floors on the ground floor are usually covered with tile. Raw wood beams are usually in the ceiling and are used for porch and balcony supports. For a picture, go to www.oldtowneorange.net/aplacecalledhome11.htm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 03:25 PM

982 posts, read 3,306,380 times
That is a very nice style - I think it's popular in San Antonio (older homes).

Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
This is my favorite architectural style, too. While I've always had an appreciation for this style, it really came to the forefront when I lived in Santa Barbara.

We live in a 1929 Spanish Revival. It's nothing quite as grand in the OP link but it suits us for now. We haven't been able to do much except some minor landscaping. Would love to eventually have a larger 1-storey Spanish Revival.

San Diego's first planned community was Kensington in the 1920's. The community today consists mostly of Spanish Revival/Mission style homes and Craftsman bungalows.

The book Red Tile Style features quite a few homes from Kensington.

Casa California: Spanish-Style Houses From Santa Barbara to San Clemente is another book with some beautiful examples of that style.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 04-27-2007 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-30-2007, 02:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Clifford Hutsell was famous for his Spanish Colonial homes built in the 1920s and 30s in the Lakewood section of Dallas, on the west shore of White Rock Lake:

http://www.dougnewby.com/Architectur...rd_hutsell.asp

Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
More on Hutsell:

http://dallas.olx.com/hutsell-home-i...od-iid-1111446

http://www.coolcitiesusa.com/dfw/dfw...dwoods01.shtml

http://www.preservationdallas.org/new_site/about/history.php (broken link)

Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Since others have put up postings for Mid-Century and Craftmans homes, I would like to post one of my favorite styles of home architecture called Spanish Colonia Revival/Mediterranean/California Mission.These houses are usually found in California, the desert southwest and in Florida.

This style of architecture is noted for its thick (made to look about 12" thick) stucco walls with recessed windows, doors and entryways. The top of the windows and doors are usually arched. The roof is covered with terra cotta tiles. There is usually some wrought iron ornamentation such as grill work over small windows and flower boxes under windows to hold terra cotta pots. Some of the larger homes have tiled entry courtyards or atriums. Floors on the ground floor are usually covered with tile. Raw wood beams are usually in the ceiling and are used for porch and balcony supports. For a picture, go to www.oldtowneorange.net/aplacecalledhome11.htm.
Currently my favorite style as well. Next time I build I hope to do something like this cost permitting. The cost of tile roofs seem high in this vicinity and it seems like incorporating arches both inside and outside ups build price as well. There's one house in my current neighborhood which has this style and everyone who comes for a visit the first time comments positively on it. It does stand out, and in a good way.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,087 times
http://www.hotelcasablanca.com.ni/Granada%20Colonial.jpg (broken link)
18th century Spanish colonial homes facing the square. Found in Latin America.

The courtyard of a well-to-do colonial family.

A wooden balcony. The detail is amazing. One can see from teh inside but people from the outside can't see you.

The once home of the Spanish Viceroy in Lima.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 24,906 times
The top picture depicting a brick colored building is located in Granada, Nicaragua. Granada was declared as the capital of The Americas under Spanish Conquest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum