Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,285 times

Advertisements

I would suggest turning that area of the front yard that reaches level with the front garage wall to the wall of the house, into a flag stone patio. I would also install a stone pillar about 4 or 5 feet tall at the front edge of the patio so it is in line with the protrusion of the garage and the side of the house. I would have a lantern installed on top. The patio could accommodate some Adirondack chairs and would also benefit from a grouping of 2-3 round ceramic planters (varying heights) that are planted with a mixture of tall and draping plants. I imagine that this would have the effect of de-emphazising the garage, as well as adding charming curb appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 03:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
I agree with others, landscaping will help tremendously. I would have a landscaper come out and help draw up a plan. What you have now is pretty boring which accentuates your problem. I would also add shutters or at least trim the windows in some way to make them more interesting and give your house more curb appeal. I don't know that I would add any more hard surfaces like a patio to the front of the house. I think that is what is throwing you off-too much of the same "texture" and nothing to soften it yet. Everything is just so rigid right now.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
-The exposed foundation is pretty typical of texas homes. The foundation is built as a slab on grade. You can't tell too much in the picture, but the exposed foundation is mainly a result of the slope of the lot. The back of the house is 8' higher than the front, which is why you have the steps and the garage lower than everything else. The brick ledge of the foundation is terraced to accomodate the grade of the ground. The bricks have to stop above grade because they have weep holes for drainage.

-What about painting the garage door a medium to dark brown? Some houses here have it and it looks great.

Exposed foundation maybe the norm for TX but that doesn't make it right. Unless all the jurisdictions have come up with this for a specific reason you or I are not aware of. I can understand some with a house that has siding as a cladding, but brick? Yes, brick ledges are stair-stepped to coordinate with the final grade. The first few courses of bricks don't have to be, nor should they be above finished grade. And yes, you are correct about the weepholes- they need to be above grade.
Check out detail #1 on this page-
http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...ived205998.pdf

Although you can't see it in the detail a brick ledge is usually 6" lower than the finish floor of the interior (slab).

Generally the rule of thumb for garage doors is to paint them the same color as the trim- this minimizes the impact of it's size.

Just so I understand this correctly- the back portion of your home is approx. one floor higher than the front?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I agree that landscaping is all you need.

If you want to change it, add a large, deep covered porch across the entire front.

A porch would be beautiful. Plus, you would have the benefit of a nice outdoor area!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:12 PM

18,466 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Couldn't you make the stoop bigger and include it so it is under the windows, the whole length of the house, but only come out midway to the garage wall, so at least there is some stagnation to the instead of flatness. I personally would get rid of the wooden railings and get an iron one, maybe something fancy to take away the starkness of the front of the house.
Just my opinion which is worthless.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:44 AM

432 posts, read 3,658,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Exposed foundation maybe the norm for TX but that doesn't make it right. Unless all the jurisdictions have come up with this for a specific reason you or I are not aware of. I can understand some with a house that has siding as a cladding, but brick? Yes, brick ledges are stair-stepped to coordinate with the final grade. The first few courses of bricks don't have to be, nor should they be above finished grade. And yes, you are correct about the weepholes- they need to be above grade.
Check out detail #1 on this page-
http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...ived205998.pdf

Although you can't see it in the detail a brick ledge is usually 6" lower than the finish floor of the interior (slab).

Generally the rule of thumb for garage doors is to paint them the same color as the trim- this minimizes the impact of it's size.

Just so I understand this correctly- the back portion of your home is approx. one floor higher than the front?
Thanks for your insight. That sketch you included is very informative. I'm not sure if it is a building code or just standard practice here but this is how all houses are here. Actually, what you see as exposed concrete is not the actual foundation, but a smooth grout coating that is slathered over the foundation... not that it would really change anything. Speaking of your comment about siding, here most houses have at least 1 side of the house covered in hardie plant (i have hardie on back)

And yes, the back of hte house is basically "one story" above the front. I attached a picture of back of house and you can see how it is considerably shorter than front due to grade change.
Attached Thumbnails
How to make house look more proportionate?-25365_415641790930_608800930_5631079_6471116_n.jpg  

Old 03-30-2010, 01:34 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,471 times
I'm not sure how to attach jpg but will give it a shot.

I agree with Sandy Nelson that a patio would help. However, it would have to be "framed" with posts or pergola and include a wall or fence around it. Also, I would add a cloister entry along the garage.

Edit: I see the photo uploaded okay. The red line is an alternate height for a surounding fence. The black "fence" line could be wrought iron, wood, or solid (privacy) planking, or even a stone wall (I wouldn't repeat the brick). The blue pergola line could also be a trellis with climbing ivy or roses. You get the point. BTW, please do not add shutters...a faux balcony or window box would be okay.
Attached Thumbnails
How to make house look more proportionate?-tx-house2.jpg  

Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I still think building out the entry would be the best solution:

Can't find a picture with a porch extending the entire length of the house (where the garage isn't located), but that's what I would do.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
I have a pretty narrow house... about 40' wide and 80' long. my house looks a bit disproportionate because my garage sticks out about 10-15 feet further out from my house than the door and window.... how can i make this look more proportionate?

What about adding a retaining wall to the left side that is a coule feet tall and fill it with larger shrubs? That might add to the appearance of mass on that side and balance it out. What do you think?
It's not porportionate... but it obviously wasn't designed and built with that in mind either.

Maybe you could do a different color garage door that matches the brick to make it fade back a little? White really sticks out. Plant trees all over to hide it? Sorry but it's never gonna be an architectural masterpiece. You're better off just accepting it for what it is and focus your attention and money elsewhere. That facade is not going to improve without lots of demolition and a rebuild that probably would cost as much as the house itself.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 AM

432 posts, read 3,658,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's not porportionate... but it obviously wasn't designed and built with that in mind either.

Maybe you could do a different color garage door that matches the brick to make it fade back a little? White really sticks out. Plant trees all over to hide it? Sorry but it's never gonna be an architectural masterpiece. You're better off just accepting it for what it is and focus your attention and money elsewhere. That facade is not going to improve without lots of demolition and a rebuild that probably would cost as much as the house itself.
Thanks for the blunt advice, LOL. I like the house for what it is, so definitely no issues there.

Thanks to everyone for all your input. Some ideas are definitely thinking outside the box and thats great. I'll be sure to post pics if i make changes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum