Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
Unless you are an expert on the subject, I wouldn't go telling people they are to paranoid. The article in the link says it takes on average 3 visits to the Doctor before they even test, that is why there is awareness going on to educate even doctors to test. I find the oversight on this pretty bad since this is an issue people out here can face. NO telling how many cases go undiagnosed, so the number of cases could be a lot more then you hear about. Heres the link to the article.... by the way I think you should wear a mask to garden her

Tests encouraged as cases rise for valley fever
That article's going on three years old. I certainly never saw any public awareness campaigns like it talks about.

On this forum, people who are not from here see this as a routinely serious condition. It is not, for the overwhelming majority of people. The fact is, practically everyone who's lived here at least ten years has had it, whether they knew they had it or were ever tested for it. If you ran the skin test on all those folks who have been here that long, it would be positive, even if they are feeling just fine. You don't just test positive WHEN you are sick.

Wear a mask when gardening if you want, but that will not prevent VF.

Ponderosa-- I couldn't rep you for it, but good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM

105 posts, read 375,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I hold no prejudice on anyone looking out for their health, VF can effect some negatively but for the most part you will just think you have the flu with a lingering cough. You probably won't be aware you have it unless there are complications. That being said, avoiding gardening (which I find a useless endeavor her in the desert for other reasons, namely the scorching heat) won't be of much use. When monsoon comes it puts everyone at risk and there isn't much you can do to avoid the dust. Not to mention our never ending construction.
Instead of putting off gardening and such task that involve the dirt like sweeping and yard work I would just be on the look out for any complications after a bout with what you think is the flu. Lingering cough, sore joints that last an obviously long time, etc.
Most likely you won't ever notice you have it, sort of like encephalitis, (which we get warned to look out for as well) but some people have a hard time. Unfortunately you won't know if your one of those few unless you end up being one of those few. Your chances are good at not being a bad case statistically.

Let me know if you are able to successfully grow anything in our climate. lol Hopefully you are sticking to the native stuff; And good luck with you're gardening; And do not put your hands where you can not see first, this is my only scorpion and black widow warning. Most people get nabbed when they aren't paying attention.

Welcome to the wild west. ha ha You'll be fine, we have all survived.
Serious? I hear there are many things you can grow in the desert with proper soil and proper watering. I have either read from people who live in the valley and have grown great watermelons and green peppers for example or who have nothing but problems and can not grow anything. So I do not know what to believe.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM

Some stuff will grow very easily (zucchini, melons-- for some people) other things take a lot more work to get the right supplementation in the soil, etc., to make up for the fact that the natural soil you will find in your back yard won't do. Sun exposure and other issues make a difference, too. There are lots of resources online about gardening in the southwest. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:15 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,209,674 times
I was on the 303 in the W Valley a couple hours ago and there was truck after truck of carrots coming out of the fields. Melons are another thing I see a lot of. There are acres and acres of rose bushes near Luke AFB. There is still a little of what were vast citrus groves around. The baseline flower gardens have been replaced with homes but once stretched for miles. My MIL used to grow great tomatoes at her place in Maryvale. There are numerous garden clubs as well. So, yes, many things can be grown here. Actually, there is a huge array of things you can grow because of the year round growing season.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:05 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That article's going on three years old. I certainly never saw any public awareness campaigns like it talks about.

On this forum, people who are not from here see this as a routinely serious condition. It is not, for the overwhelming majority of people. The fact is, practically everyone who's lived here at least ten years has had it, whether they knew they had it or were ever tested for it. If you ran the skin test on all those folks who have been here that long, it would be positive, even if they are feeling just fine. You don't just test positive WHEN you are sick.
I think this is true. I talked to a nurse colleague once and she said a doc told her that everyone who lives here has areas in their lungs that are indicative of past valley fever. But, they are dormant and not a problem for most anymore. For people with co-existing pulmonary/immunological, etc. , it could become a problem for them. But, everyone who lives here has most likely had it. And,
I heard somewheres that the 3rd-4th year you're here, the liklihood of it occuring is the highest, but don't know if there's any truth to that?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 AM

If I had it when we all think I did (not very long before a VF skin test administered for a persistent cough that turned out to be stress related, not physical, was wildly positive) I was here ten years before I got it. I've not heard that any particular time period after moving here is particularly likely.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I was on the 303 in the W Valley a couple hours ago and there was truck after truck of carrots coming out of the fields. Melons are another thing I see a lot of. There are acres and acres of rose bushes near Luke AFB. There is still a little of what were vast citrus groves around. The baseline flower gardens have been replaced with homes but once stretched for miles. My MIL used to grow great tomatoes at her place in Maryvale. There are numerous garden clubs as well. So, yes, many things can be grown here. Actually, there is a huge array of things you can grow because of the year round growing season.
I know, I see all that too. Mostly corn around me but I was sure I could grow something. I've tried a lot of things but never succeed that well. I've grown tomatoes but they are small, dry and ugly. lol
Same with my other attempt. They seem good in the spring but then when the heat gets here it's over. I wonder if it depends on how the soil is, etc. But I've done pots and forget it, the sun just bakes those suckers like a pan on the stove. lol
Now, I've done a successful citrus tree but really thats about it. My flowers don't even last through the summer.

I must have a purple thumb or something.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 AM

Rousseau Farms out in the west valley has been growing carrots commercially (and I don't know what else) forever. You can still buy Rousseau carrots at Basha's, I think, at least I did not all that long ago. When my sis lived in the west Valley, her neighbor would go get huge burlap bags of misshapen or otherwise rejected carrots for CHEAP that we would all feed the horses.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:41 PM

105 posts, read 375,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Some stuff will grow very easily (zucchini, melons-- for some people) other things take a lot more work to get the right supplementation in the soil, etc., to make up for the fact that the natural soil you will find in your back yard won't do. Sun exposure and other issues make a difference, too. There are lots of resources online about gardening in the southwest. Good luck!
Ok I have a follow up on this. Here in the Midwest I can buy truck loads of soil for a garden have it delivered and keep up the nutrients by taking organic waste such as left over food or grass clippings and till them in the soil. Are there landscaping companies in the valley that do that as well?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:43 PM

197 posts, read 392,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
Unless you are an expert on the subject, I wouldn't go telling people they are to paranoid. The article in the link says it takes on average 3 visits to the Doctor before they even test, that is why there is awareness going on to educate even doctors to test. I find the oversight on this pretty bad since this is an issue people out here can face. NO telling how many cases go undiagnosed, so the number of cases could be a lot more then you hear about. Heres the link to the article.... by the way I think you should wear a mask to garden here.

Tests encouraged as cases rise for valley fever
Thanks for the information. That is a good link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona