Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM

89 posts, read 448,603 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I bought a house in baseline rd, 35th ave in courtland homes around 2700 sq.ft including upgrades coming upto 290,000. I made a down payment of 3000$ and expecting the house to be build by oct-nov 2007. Looking at the phoenix market and median home prices going down. And everyone is telling me baseline is crime ridden area. I'm thinking its a bad time and bad neighbourhood to buy a house. I'm thinking buying a home around dec 2008-june 2009 will be a good time. As I made a down payment of only 3000$, i'm thinking to back off from buying this home.

Any ideas????.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,867 times
Check your paperwork. You may only lose your down payment/earnest money. I thought you were saying that after further review of the area you are buying that you want out and not about price. I would not recommend anyone live at 35th ave and Baseline.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
I wouldn't back out of it because 290,000 is a bargain, compared to what it will most likely be 10 years from now. Don't let the median price of a home in the metro Phoenix area discourage you from buying a house now because that happens sometimes. Overall, when buy real estate, you don't buy for the short term.

Also, see if you can negotiate a lower price with the builder that's comparable to the value of other similar homes in the area.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:48 AM

Thanks for your views. Can I negotiate the price after I signed the paper work and the house in under construction?.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 PM

461 posts, read 1,809,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun196 View Post
Thanks for your views. Can I negotiate the price after I signed the paper work and the house in under construction?.
Probably not . . . but that would totally be up to the builder. If you've already signed the contract, gave the builder earnest money and it is being built, the builder is under no obligation to do anything for you . . . however, with a threat of backing out of the deal entirely, he may reconsider. On second thought, you may have signed a contract you can't get out of at all . . . at the very least you will probably lose the earnest money. You might want to seek the advice of counsel. Bottom line is, it can't hurt to try, just don't expect too much!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:23 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,665 times
Read your contract closely. I imagine that you'll lose your earnest money if you back out. However, if you know for sure that you do NOT want the house and do NOT want to live in that area, 3K is a small price to pay to get out of it now. I'd rather lose 3K then be stuck with a 290K house that you probably won't be able to sell for a while if they're still building there.

However, if you want out of the contract ONLY b/c you think houses will be cheaper in a year, I wouldn't do it. No one can tell you what the market will be like in a year or two. I just heard a report on the news saying that all major markets, including PHX, will see a decline in housing prices for the next two years. The same day, I saw a news report on CNN, I think, saying that the housing market will pick up at the end of this year and prices will have bottomed out. My point is that no one has a crystal ball and for every story that says the market will continue to decrease, there's another saying it'll get better soon.

If you don't want to live there, try to get out of it. But if you DO want to live there and are just speculating that you may get a house cheaper in a year, I wouldn't do it. Also, if you're renting now and will be until you buy a house, remember that you'll be paying another year or two in rent, which money out the window with no tax benefits or equity earned.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Thanks @Boatdrinks. Appreciate your views.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:05 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,178 times
$290K a bargain in a supposed crime-ridden area? Man, I really know nothing about buying homes in the PHX market! I'm really not trying to sound like a smart-alec. DH&I are first time homebuyers and haven't lived in PHX very long.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
if you really do have concerns, and your lost is only 3000. I would cut my loss, and wait. Otherwise talk to the builder, and explain your concern, and yes, it may be wise to contact an attorney for advise. Do what your heart and pocketbook feels is best.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:46 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
I've been in your position, and if I had to do it again I would take the loss. I bought a house in S. Phoenix when I first moved here many years ago. The neighborhood was new and the home models were 1000s less than the same model in Mesa and other parts of the valley that were growing then. We could have paid a little more each month, but it seemed like a good deal. I didn't know any better.

I sold later and I made money, but less than I would have made had I bought in the better location. And the whole time I was there, I was troubled whenever I told someone where I lived and saw the look on their faces. The house never gave us a "home" feeling because of that. We did not have the pride of ownership we would have had otherwise. I never got robbed, mugged, or was the victim of anything but my own pride there, but pride does count for something. Maybe it is worth $3000 to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona