Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 AM

25 posts, read 64,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokemanGRP View Post
For those considering LHC it is not as bad as ilenewin makes it out to be.

Yes, we get several days each year in the 120’s but the National Weather service reports July’s average high is 108. Some will think even 108 is extremely hot but it is true that the low humidity, rarely above the teens, makes it much more comfortable than a 90 / 90 day in the MidWest.

We don’t have kids so I can’t comment on the schools but I don’t hear much dissatisfaction with them.

Big problems with the water??? No more than any other city west of the continental divide.

I agree that there are some businesses that operate on ‘Havasu time’ but there are also very reputable businesses in town. I tend to patronize businesses that have a long history in town.

There are some houses available for $200,000 but there are some very nice ones in the $250k range. Prices have escalated over the past 2 years as Californians purchased vacation homes here with the equity from their California homes.

I will admit that we are also considering moving from Havasu but not because we don’t like the city. We have always lived on a typically sized residential lot and we want acreage which just isn’t available in Havasu.

If you have an interest in Havasu come check it out; you just might fall in love with it like we did.
Most of the days during at least 3 months of summer are 115+!

The schools are horrible, take a mothers word on that.

There is a problem with the water, my doctor warned me when I first moved here not to drink it AT ALL, then my vet told me not to give it to my pets. Don't drink the water please, don't listen to anyone that says differently.

Havasu time is true, I had to make appointments with 3 different plumbers before I finally was able to get someone from No Limit plumbing to show up! And it's the same with all services!

It is horrible here!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 AM

61 posts, read 215,872 times
Default Don't compare apples and oranges

I have lived in Havasu for 3 years (against my will, I might add). There are good and bad things about every city you live in. Havasu has its bad points but to compare it with Chicago is not fair. Chicago is a major metropolitan area with all the associated benefits, and problems. Havasu is a small desert city of around 54,000. The winters here are great - housing is becoming affordable due to the real estate slump and crime is relatively low. The major thing I do not like about Havasu is the lack of age diversity. It's a community of "seniors" (median age is 47!). Because they don't have kids in school, or are part-year residents, there is a lack of "buy-in" in terms of improving the community. I'm a "senior" myself (age 58), so I'm not speaking from a perspective of a 30 something. I miss having children in the neighborhood, miss seasonal changes, etc. However, if you can "hole up" in the summer when it's really hot and the "red hat" club or Elks are your thing, this is the place for you! I will say that in the summer, the "lake culture" changes considerably and the town fills with Southern Californian party animals, but the "main town" still remains an "older" community. Since I'm here, I have to "bloom where I'm planted," but if we had the opportunity for a job transfer, we would leave.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM

43 posts, read 225,318 times
Default Lake Havasu

Yes, Havasu used to be quite a cute town! I was just there not too long ago and it has changed! We made a lil' day trip to the London Bridge and its shops-what shops? Like, what happened? And the water! So disgusting! I used to go there many times way back when and it wasn't like that. This stinks!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:12 PM

37 posts, read 205,052 times
The reason to not to visit or move to Havasu is the corrupt police and corrupt Judge. They are the worst and what is more they have several people who are patroling the net to post contrary opinions about them. They target out of town plates and boats to get tickets so you cannot stick around and fight the ticket. The fact is that the Judge has NEVER ruled against the police, and that is just not possible. The lawyers in town, when they are speaking confidence to you, will tell that once arrested in Havasu you are convicted. Dont visit Havasu, its not a place for anyone but ex cops.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist beware View Post
The reason to not to visit or move to Havasu is the corrupt police and corrupt Judge. They are the worst and what is more they have several people who are patroling the net to post contrary opinions about them. They target out of town plates and boats to get tickets so you cannot stick around and fight the ticket. The fact is that the Judge has NEVER ruled against the police, and that is just not possible. The lawyers in town, when they are speaking confidence to you, will tell that once arrested in Havasu you are convicted. Dont visit Havasu, its not a place for anyone but ex cops.
In this case: I have to side with 'the man' here--------one big reason that I do not care for Lake Havasu anymore is due to those lowlife party animals who get drunk and stupid.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:48 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
While visiting LHC a few weeks ago, my companion stopped to ask a patrolman who had just finished a traffic stop, what activities were going on in town during the next few days. Even though I told her not to bother "the man" because he probably has better things to do than to answer questions from tourists, the cop was very cordial and took the time to outline all the activities and where they were as he knew them.

The next day, she pulled the same thing with a different cop and he was just a nice. Smaller town cops, by my experiences elsewhere too, just seem to be more laid back and cordial than some of the big city LEOs.

Anyway, we came away with a good impression of the LHC police. But yeah, I suppose in a small towns, there could be a lot of corruption too.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 PM

74 posts, read 383,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenewin View Post
I have seen a few people looking for info on moving to Lake Havasu City Az. Here is my advice. DON'T! I moved here 7 years ago form Chicago and I do not like it at all! I am moving away from here A.S.A.P. The web sites that I looked at prior to moving here said that the school systems was good and it is not at all! it said that the summer high's were about 110 degree's and thry are not. yesterday it was 122 and today it is supose to be 126. There are big problem's with the water, and the service that you get here. If you call a plummer or someone out and they do not feel like keeping the appointment they just don't show up no call or anything. I have no clue how people stay in business here. people here say they will be there on Havasu time! which means when ever they get around to it. It is a very hot, strange place and the way they do things here is nuts... as for me I can not wait to leave!!! OH... one more thing there is not affordable housing here. this web site said house are like about $190,000 the real price is like $250,000 and up.
Look elsewhere.
Yep, you said it. I is HOT, REAL HOT. Same as Bullhead and Laughlin. As for service, your rt. again. Business's work on your vehical, make it worst send you, ot try to, you complain and they have the never to blame you. Arizona protects business far to much. They have no fear of being sued because lawyers will no longer work on percentage. And since they no longer work on percentage, you have to pay them and once they have your money they don't care about your case anymore. AND this is why business get away with not showing up and doing crappy work. God help you if your A/C breaks down. I had 3 a/c companies try to tell me I needed a new a/c, my nieghbor fixed it.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:16 PM

30 posts, read 131,791 times
Okay, I have to respond too... don't forget about the horrible hospital/medical they have here too. Thank God, my husband and I haven't ever needed a hospital stay, but from what I hear, it's not safe! We moved here from San Diego in 2004 (we're San Diego natives), but we bought a lot here in 1986 for $3,500!!!! Never in the world thought we'd move here, but when the booming started, we were able to sell our house in CA, build a house here free and clear, so we took the opportunity to do so. We don't plan on staying here forever, and it's not the worst place in the world, but I had to laugh when I read all the other posts, i.e. the bad water, the businesses on Havasu time, etc., cause it's all true. Can't comment on the schools though - don't have kids, but I thought the schools were good???? Anyway, I'd still say a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here - much longer!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:36 PM

37 posts, read 205,052 times
Exclamation corruption in the police and Justice system

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In this case: I have to side with 'the man' here--------one big reason that I do not care for Lake Havasu anymore is due to those lowlife party animals who get drunk and stupid.

Corrupt police and courts have nothing to do with "party animals" all it takes to be arrested in Havasu is to be from out of town and have a nice vehicle or boat.

Even if someone Is a party animal, the right for a FAIR trial is a basic right that is denied you in Havasu.

The local Judge has been reprimanded for not giving fair trials by the AZ Supreme Court! He was the ONLY Judge reprimanded last year.

This year boating family's are boycotting Havasu to protest the corrupt justice system.

The Police's answer to the corruption? Tell us who you are (so we can target you) , you are trailer trash if you object to police (literal words posted by a 911 operator), A press release highlighting the use of the Taser and how poice can use it anytime and get away with it, the Judge has said in budget hearings that is GOAL is to make his court the most PROFITABLE in the county (no mention of proper justice) And this Judge has NEVER EVER EVER in 8 YEARS ruled against the police (he was a police supervisor before Judge and has not law degree nor is he eligible to practice law. This is a fact)

This is the type of treatment you can expect in Havasu. Come here at your own risk.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Funny; I have never had a problem with the authorities anywhere in Mohave County------and, I look like a biker/hippie/redneck.

The one traffic citation I did receive I flat deserved-------for passing in a 'No Passing' zone on Az 95 between LHC and Parker. That particular section of road used to be a passing zone but ADOT restriped it shortly before I drove through there.

Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: