Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,661 times

Advertisements

Just spent a couple days in Bisbee. Seems like a nice little town, especially the historic district. I'd like to hear some local opinions since I liked it enough to consider moving there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 04:12 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
Just spent a couple days in Bisbee. Seems like a nice little town, especially the historic district. I'd like to hear some local opinions since I liked it enough to consider moving there
I have camped in the center of Bisbee many times. If you know where the Queen Mine is, there is a small camp area just off their parking lot. Anyway, I have a dog and did a lot of hiking around the town hills with my dog. My biggest complaint about Bisbee is that they have no animal control. Dogs run loose all over. Many times I have encountered dogs tied to the front of buildings that I would have otherwise entered. If you don't like loose animals, you won't like Bisbee. I have had three dog attacks there in one summer. I got tired of lifting my dog onto my shoulder when a strange dog came after us. One day I was sitting in the town square with my dog on my lap. A loose dog came near and continued to snarl at us. When I realized that the owner was nearby, I asked her if she would mind putting a leash on her dog. She answered, "Bisbee dogs don't like to be leashed!" One summer of that was enough for me.

Also, there are water canals that run through town. Between rains the canals have puddles of stagnant water in them. This creates a real mosquito problem. There was a lady in the campground who had Epstein Barr Syndrome. While we stayed there, we had someone visit us for the day. This person contracted Epstein Barr and so did I. We can't prove that it was from Bisbee and the canals, but with three of us having it???

My last thought is that there is a huge drug problem there. Take my word for it or ask the police about it. I talked to many locals on my hikes and was offered drugs many times.

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't want to live there!

Old 09-13-2006, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 17,642 times
Default Don't Jump!

Bisbee is cute only from the outside looking in. It has terrible problems with the city administration, a HUGE police presence, more and more border patrol every day, and substance abuse troubles that compare to small Alaska towns.

I say this as a relative newcomer who rues the day she set foot here. It took about two years for me to see this place as it truly is and by then I had some committments so it will take about a year more until I can escape. Which I will, never again to set foot in this hellhole.

Of course there are plenty of people who like it here. If you want a place to smoke dope and not work and have more company in lazy dissipation than you ever dreamed of having, then by all means duct tape that beater together and head south.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:37 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,136,350 times
The great Tucson band called Calexico has a song called Bisbee Blue. Awesome tune!

Old 09-22-2006, 05:53 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
It's kind of like the 60s never ended there. I like it. It reminds me of Jerome AZ before the money moved in. It is a lot of fun to spend a couple weekday nights in the bars talking with the locals. There is a lot of character in Bisbee, that's for sure. If you are drawn to eccentricity then it's the place for you.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,652 times
Default Bisbee

Bisbee looks great from the outside but the people are a collection of misfits and malcontents from around the U.S.I live near there and go to Bisbee often, I too was fooled when I first discovered this beautiful little town.It must have been quite a place fifty years ago when the original, real people were there.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 AM

3 posts, read 17,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b View Post
Bisbee looks great from the outside but the people are a collection of misfits and malcontents from around the U.S.I live near there and go to Bisbee often, I too was fooled when I first discovered this beautiful little town.It must have been quite a place fifty years ago when the original, real people were there.
I doubt it was ever good. Before the hippies took over and then the yuppie-wannabes, it was a company town with Phelps-Dodge caretaking the inhabitants from cradle to grave. Education was never a priority since all the men went to work in the mines and made a good living even if they dropped out of school in 9th grade. Education is STILL not a priority, or even an afterthought. The only excellence that comes out of the school system is from kids who haven't lived in Bisbee long enough to be corrupted.

Sadly, it IS a town full of losers and end-of-the-roaders. But if you have always longed to be a big frog in a small pond or if you want to live somewhere for two years and run for mayor (and win), by all means come on down. Bisbee likes new blood--just watch out or you will be sucked dry and your empty husk discarded to be blown north by the polluted wind that wafts off the burning garbage dump in Naco, Sonora. Gee, do I sound bitter?

Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,584 times
Unhappy You said it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernestine View Post
I doubt it was ever good. Before the hippies took over and then the yuppie-wannabes, it was a company town with Phelps-Dodge caretaking the inhabitants from cradle to grave. Education was never a priority since all the men went to work in the mines and made a good living even if they dropped out of school in 9th grade. Education is STILL not a priority, or even an afterthought. The only excellence that comes out of the school system is from kids who haven't lived in Bisbee long enough to be corrupted.

Sadly, it IS a town full of losers and end-of-the-roaders. But if you have always longed to be a big frog in a small pond or if you want to live somewhere for two years and run for mayor (and win), by all means come on down. Bisbee likes new blood--just watch out or you will be sucked dry and your empty husk discarded to be blown north by the polluted wind that wafts off the burning garbage dump in Naco, Sonora. Gee, do I sound bitter?
That is the horrible truth!

Old 09-28-2006, 03:47 PM

436 posts, read 681,398 times
These posts about Bisbee are great - a real rip..and true too.

Jerome is another old mining town, different than Bisbee for sure, but funky nonetheless.

I go to Jerome often because it's not far from my home. Behind the tourist facade, Jerome is not what it appears to be, however, to get out of Cottonwood/Clarksdale/Cornhole (I mean Cornville), you'll go just about anywhere for a change of scenery.

Last edited by brian_2; 09-28-2006 at 03:56 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,937 times
I am so bummed to hear that about Bisbee. I lived there about 14 years ago and loved it! I was seriously considering moving back there next spring. That sucks, guess things have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona