Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 02:32 PM

652 posts, read 2,714,445 times

Advertisements

It appears that the bridge is open to traffic as of Tuesday (yesterday) evening.

Has anyone taken it yet? Any traffic backups?

I'll be taking it tomorrow morning on my way to Las Vegas, hopefully all goes well.

From the Arizona Republic:

Quote:
Highway officials on Tuesday night opened the Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge, which promises to shorten the drive time from Phoenix to Las Vegas by an hour. The journey can be made in five hours, but the bypass eliminates the uncertainty of long delays caused by heavy tourist traffic.

Federal officials unveiled to huge fanfare last week the $240 million Hoover Dam bypass, which includes the new concrete arched bridge over Black Canyon. The six-mile bypass was opened to traffic, including big rigs, at about 9 p.m. Tuesday.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...am-bridge.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,993,670 times
Are there any odds on when the first suicide will take place?

Old 10-20-2010, 02:53 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Are there any odds on when the first suicide will take place?
Charming post. (Not.)

Old 10-20-2010, 03:21 PM

13,247 posts, read 21,862,099 times
Wow, I had no idea it was opening so soon. I didn't think it was opening until fall. Funny, I was just in Vegas on Monday too. On the way home the big flashing sign before Boulder City said there was a long backup on the dam, so I took 95 through Laughlin. Can't believe it opened the very next day!

Here's what it looked like just a year ago!

And six months ago.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Charming post. (Not.)
Let's not feed the trolls.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 PM

963 posts, read 2,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Wow, I had no idea it was opening so soon. I didn't think it was opening until fall. Funny, I was just in Vegas on Monday too. On the way home the big flashing sign before Boulder City said there was a long backup on the dam, so I took 95 through Laughlin. Can't believe it opened the very next day!
Beautiful photos! I can't believe I moved back to New York just in time to miss that!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,364,565 times
Quote:

Here's what it looked like just a year ago!

And six months ago.
Hey, you already know how much I REALLY LOVE that first picture of yours. I have to tell you that Arizona Highways recently had a similar photo to yours but not NEARLY AS GOOD.

Ken

PS - er, just to let you know it IS FALL already. Up here in Seattle that's ABUNDANTLY CLEAR (sadly).

Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Hey, you already know how much I REALLY LOVE that first picture of yours. I have to tell you that Arizona Highways recently had a similar photo to yours but not NEARLY AS GOOD.

Ken
Really? I must have missed that article. You know the Mohave County Flood control district bought about 20 copies of that shot. Thanks, Ken!
Quote:
PS - er, just to let you know it IS FALL already.
Doh!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Beautiful photos! I can't believe I moved back to New York just in time to miss that!
Thanks! I hope folks don't mind if I post a couple more.

^^ I almost got arrested taking that one.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:29 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,364,565 times
Quote:
Really? I must have missed that article. You know the Mohave County Flood control district bought about 20 copies of that shot. Thanks, Ken! Doh!
That's COOL about the Mohave County Flood control district buying all those copies - does NOT surprize me though. It's a SERIOUSLY AWESOME PHOTO.

FYI - the Arizona Highways issue I'm referring to is the Sept 2010 issue (ie the "Photo Issue"). A LOT of great shots by Barry Goldwater in it (he was a FINE photographer, I gotta say). The bridge shot I was referring to is on pages 38/39 (double page photo). It's quite good, but - as I said - not NEARLY as good as your.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona